not fitting into concerts

Thats just wierd. How do you think the band felt, seeing that the majority of their crowd was half their size?

kazahana said:
I've never really seen a problem fitting in at gigs, but then I always go with friends. Since I'm poor, and generally the one venue most bands play in the UK is likely to be in London (which isn't that far, but tickets and trains are expensive) we tend to make gigs an occasion.

The exception, and most disturbing of shows, is at Dragonforce gigs. Full of kids. Children. Some must be about 14 or 15. I'm sure I've mentioned this before but one kid was stuck at the door with HIS MOTHER trying to convince the bouncers he was 12...

I bet they're proud they've got kids listening to good sh*t instead of Radio Disney. I would be.

ptah knemu said:
Thats just wierd. How do you think the band felt, seeing that the majority of their crowd was half their size?
Probably saw the dollar signs that only foolish and fickle impressionable youth can generate ;)

RequiemX said:
I bet they're proud they've got kids listening to good sh*t instead of Radio Disney. I would be.
Depends whether the kids are listening to it because they enjoy it or because it's trendy to.

RequiemX said:
Tell me where Dragonforce is trendy and I'll consider moving there! lol
Unfortunately it almost is here in the UK, but don't pack your bags too quickly: I think Dragonforce are the new fascination for what could be called the British equivalent of mallcore kids. I don't care that they like the music, but I disagree with the idea of liking something because it's fashionable to do so.

The DF forum also has a lot of moronic posting, and incidentally "jo jo" popped up there recently much to my bemusement.

Guys who wear black and mosh.....now let me think for a second.........yep its as I thought. They definately aren't prog ;). I see a lot of metalheads with their cradle of filth and pantera shirts, and dont get me wrong they are great bands, but it just seems like a lot of metalheads think they should conform to that sort of thing. Personally I couldnt care less what everyone else is doing cos seeing symphony X live would be awesome.

Now that feeling like an outcast thing........I got that when I went clubbing the other night, but I realised it wasnt me that was the outcast, it was all the other people. I hate dancing and my friend said "just act like an idiot...thats all there is to it", but seriously, why would I want to act like an idiot and why would i want to dance with one?? So yeh dancing is ghey and boring!! lol.

kazahana said:
The DF forum also has a lot of moronic posting, and incidentally "jo jo" popped up there recently much to my bemusement.
Why am I not surprised about that?

No, I hear you. I like metal, but I wouldn't classify myself as a "metal head." A few months back I attended an Opeth show, and while they were great, I didn't really "connect" with the idiots rapidly losing brain cells in the pit during Demon of the Fall.

Eternal Dragon said:
Guys who wear black and mosh.....now let me think for a second.........yep its as I thought. They definately aren't prog ;). I see a lot of metalheads with their cradle of filth and pantera shirts....

You speak of the *core/bandwagoner wannabes not metalheads.

Okay wait. I know I'm going a bit off topic here, but I'm confused on your idea of what makes someone a 'metal head.' Seems like a lot of you use it in a somewhat negative context, and I just don't get it. Like, I'm getting the impression that you think being a metal head is being a dancing, moshing, pot-smoking drunk that always wears black and make all of you feel 'out of place.' I'm a metal head because I love metal. I don't do any of the above. And, um, last time I checked, 99% of bands we talk about on this forum are metal bands. I'm totally ranting and I apologize but it just rubs me the wrong way.

:Smug:

I'm actually kindof offended by that. I wear black, but only a black band shirt, usually Dream Theater, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Kamelot. I wear that under a black jacket thing, with camoufloge pants. And I mosh. Kindof. So since I fit into that "stereoype", that cancels out the fact that my favorite bands are more than artistic and that my writing is inspired by everything from J.S. Bach to Jason Becker? I have to be honest. that offends me.

But getting back on the topic, Kazahana, it was really that awkward going to see Dragonforce, only to find that the entire crowd was high school freshmen?

Why don't you try talking to some people at these shows? Metal fans are typically very friendly from my experiences. Plus, if you go to enough shows, you're probably gonna start running into lots of the same faces.

If you are truely worried about feeling outcasted due to your attire, drug use or lackthereof, or any other factor besides pure enjoyment of the band, then perhaps this whole problem of yours runs a little deeper than just at metal shows. This is a fairly odd thread, I think...

hey I didn't mean to create a "metalhead" stereotype, I was just saying what I have observed and most of people at the shows I went to wore black or at least band shirts and it seemed as if everyone else had buddies with them, and that's what really makes me feel out fo place. I tried to chat around at the shows I went to and it felt alright, but I still felt isolated and embarrassed. At least I got to see three of my fav bands (SX, nevermore, and opeth), although my nevermore experience was ruined because there were people next to me that had drugs and I absolutely HATE drugs.

I am a casual guy and if you were to see me walking around, it would probably be hard to say that I listen to heavy metal. I've had people be surprised that I listen to heavy music, lol, which I think is great!

another thing that bothers me is what people outside of the metal community think of us that listen to metal. I'm sure you guys know what they think.

bball_1523 said:
another thing that bothers me is what people outside of the metal community think of us that listen to metal. I'm sure you guys know what they think.
Of course I don't know what other people think. I do not have mind reading powers and I don't need them. If someone has a problem with metal or with the fact that I like metal, good for them. I honestly don't care.

ptah knemu said:
I'm actually kindof offended by that. I wear black, but only a black band shirt, usually Dream Theater, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Kamelot. I wear that under a black jacket thing, with camoufloge pants. And I mosh. Kindof. So since I fit into that "stereoype", that cancels out the fact that my favorite bands are more than artistic and that my writing is inspired by everything from J.S. Bach to Jason Becker? I have to be honest. that offends me.

No man you totally took it the wrong way. The whole black thing was dumb, I realize, since I wear black like everyday, but a lot of people here were saying they don't wear black...so my point is that it doesn't matter what the hell color clothes you wear! I'm not the one stereotyping. Other posters here are.

I'm preaching to the choir here, so I'm done.

My experience at concerts has been that if you strike up conversation with someone at a concert, they are usually excited to talk to someone that actually shares their interest in some less well-known music. I made quite a few friends in the front row for SymX at gigantour. Then again I WAS wearing my black New Mythology shirt... :)

I've found across most genres of metal the concertgoers are excited to be among people that, for once, share their interest in music. Strike up some conversation and I would bed you will be pleasantly surprised. Most of the people that look really "extreme" or whatever are usually very pleasant to talk to.