Nothing Against Wilson, but...

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
...for Opeth's next cd, I hope Mike dumps him and goes it alone - with his own ideas and musical intuition. It is like Wilson is taking over. On BWP, it wasn't so bad, it was clear he had some influence, and then on Deliverance, it was like Wilson's influence increased...and then came Damnation - kinda like Porcupine Tree meets Opeth's mellow segments.

I think I will go listen to My Arms, Your Hearse...Opeth's absolute masterpiece.

JesusChristPose said:
...for Opeth's next cd, I hope Mike dumps him and goes it alone - with his own ideas and musical intuition. It is like Wilson is taking over. On BWP, it wasn't so bad, it was clear he had some influence, and then on Deliverance, it was like Wilson's influence increased...and then came Damnation - kinda like Porcupine Tree meets Opeth's mellow segments.

I think I will go listen to My Arms, Your Hearse...Opeth's absolute masterpiece.

I like Wilson's influence, but they are indeed fine without him. I just wish he would not sing, because I really like Mike's voice much better.

I like Wilson's influence, but they are indeed fine without him. I just wish he would not sing, because I really like Mike's voice much better.

It is not that I hate or dislike Wilson's influence, it is that it is getting a bit too much...and I really don't think they need his influence. His influence has left Opeth much more predictable and simpler in melody.

That My Arms, Your Hearse and their other earlier work took me much longer to "get" ~ the more enjoyment I got out of them after I "got" it.

And I am also not against Opeth progressing. I just want Opeth (Mike) to progress on their own.

why are you saying this is wilsons fault? how do you know mike doesnt want this for the band. i dont think wilson is sitting there with a gun to mikes head forcing him to do HIS melodies. yet another case of people wanting a band to go back to their old days. the old days are behind them. they are moving forward.

SentencedToBurn said:
why are you saying this is wilsons fault? how do you know mike doesnt want this for the band. i dont think wilson is sitting there with a gun to mikes head forcing him to do HIS melodies.
AMEN! Couldn't have said it better myself. Jeez, you people are nuts.
SentencedToBurn said:
yet another case of people wanting a band to go back to their old days. the old days are behind them. they are moving forward.
I don't like where they're moving (at least, I really disliked Deliverance and Damnation was only good), but I do think that even if they hadn't actually gotten steve wilson to produce the albums, there would have been a very similar sound.

I think those comments were more intended to mean that Opeth should progress and move forward and all... just not under the guidance of Wilson any longer. If you start to sound more and more like another artist; it's not exactly moving all that much forward... more like just incoporating aspects of another person's style that's already been done before. I don't hold anything against Wilson; he's a great songwriter and musician and I like his influence on Opeth for the most part. However, I do understand the point people are making here.

In the future, it doesn't matter to me what they do. I have plenty of great Opeth music to listen to already, and Mike should just do whatever the hell he wants. I've liked everything thus far and I'll probably end up buying any future albums he puts outs, regardless of the particular musical direction. Although I do understand why some people wouldn't feel the same way about it.

why are you saying this is wilsons fault? how do you know mike doesnt want this for the band. i dont think wilson is sitting there with a gun to mikes head forcing him to do HIS melodies. yet another case of people wanting a band to go back to their old days. the old days are behind them. they are moving forward.

~ I never blamed Wilson for anything. You inferences are incorrect. Read what Cynical Bastard stated - I couldn't of said it better.

Cynical Bastard said:
I think those comments were more intended to mean that Opeth should progress and move forward and all... just not under the guidance of Wilson any longer. If you start to sound more and more like another artist; it's not exactly moving all that much forward... more like just incoporating aspects of another person's style that's already been done before. I don't hold anything against Wilson; he's a great songwriter and musician and I like his influence on Opeth for the most part. However, I do understand the point people are making here.

In the future, it doesn't matter to me what they do. I have plenty of great Opeth music to listen to already, and Mike should just do whatever the hell he wants. I've liked everything thus far and I'll probably end up buying any future albums he puts outs, regardless of the particular musical direction. Although I do understand why some people wouldn't feel the same way about it.

yea...i agree aswell but i see you put layne staley's lyrics in your quote...he is a awesome writer and is my main influence along with alice in chains in general and staley's side band Mad Season.I'm glad to see someone else respects him as much as i do.

peace

I don't hear much Steven Wilson influence on Deliverance. Just his voice popping up and Porcupine Tree-like production. Damnation is another story obviously, since he contributed the mellotrons and whatnot. But I'm more than sure its still Mikael writing the music, and Steven Wilson recording it and adding his own touches to it. At least, thats what I gather from interviews.

Yeah, I'd say there's MUCH more wilson influence on BWP as opposed to Deliverance. I love wilson's influence on that album, however. Good stuff. I do hope Opeth does progress more on their own, though...I'd agree that TOO much influence can be bad...

I don't think Opeth is trying to emulate PT or Steve is trying to dilute their sound, in fact I can't think of any negative impact he has had on Opeth. But that may be because I am fanatical towards PT, and of course I would welcome Mikael pursuing artistic progression on his own.

I don't know...I liked Damnation a lot. I just don't want Opeth to make a Porcupine Tree album. I want them to make an Opeth album. Hopefully the next one will be beyond everything they've ever done.