Nothing Against Wilson, but...

I can't remember who said this while back, but

Opeth and Porcupine Tree should just merge and call themselves Opeth Tree.
:lol:

I personally don't care either way. I wonder if Wilson will help with the much rumored black metal album Mikael wants to do? I can just imagine Wilson's vocals (damnation style) on that. :lol:

Well,as much as i think they benefitted from wilsons influence on the last three,i think they should go alone on the next one.

Or get Devin Townsend to produce!

JesusChristPose said:
...for Opeth's next cd, I hope Mike dumps him and goes it alone - with his own ideas and musical intuition. It is like Wilson is taking over. On BWP, it wasn't so bad, it was clear he had some influence, and then on Deliverance, it was like Wilson's influence increased...and then came Damnation - kinda like Porcupine Tree meets Opeth's mellow segments.

I think I will go listen to My Arms, Your Hearse...Opeth's absolute masterpiece.
I completely disagree. Morningrise is Opeth's absolute masterpiece. :p

However, I do agree with everything else you said. In fact, I almost consider BWP to be an 'Opeth & Wilson' album rather than an Opeth album... almost. ;) While I have nothing against Steven Wilson, I can't help but wonder why he is found playing guitars on Opeth albums, for example... can he do anything that Mikael and Peter can't?? (That's not a rhetorical question - I don't know, maybe he can. Someone fill me in. :p) I'm with Lethe on the singing too, I personally find Mike's voice to be more fitting with Opeth's music than Steven's.

But yes, if Steven continues to work with them in the future, this rumoured 'black metal' album is becoming even more interesting. :D

Reactions: Blackspirit
Wilson's subtle influence makes BWP strong, and another Opeth album that takes time to drink in, to feel, and eventually to identify with and love.

Deliverance seems to lack a little of that, as does Damnation, but that doesn't mean they're not worthy and full-of-discovery Opeth albums. I think one needs to approach these albums a little differently.

I'm sure that if I'd heard Orchid first (which I know I would have loved instantly), that MAYH or Still Life would certainly seem a little loopy. Everyone needs their own space and time to learn to appreciate each note, melody, harmony and emotion.

NP: Camel - Ice

Mike has already said he's not interested in doing another album like Damnation. Especially not under Opeth's name. He's also mentioned an idea he has for the next album. I guess as it stands now, he wants to do two 30 minute songs, and wants the album to have a very occult vibe to it. So basically, for lack of a better word, he wants the next album to sound a bit "evil". I don't think Wilson will have much to do with their next album, he may, I dunno, whatever. I can hardly hear his influence on Deliverance. Of course all this is very tentative because there are no plans as to when they'll even start recording a new album, so a lot could change.

actually the lead vocals of "devious movements in your eyes" is Wilson.. and you have to admit.. Mikael isn't quite in the melody range so I don't mind Wilson taking over that part..

I also don't think that Wilson has a major part in orchestrating it and I believe Opeth are in complete control...

Opeth are still Opeth and I think Wilson influence has more to do with the actual sound of it all.. and just some subtle nuances...

Yeah, when I saw Opeth live Mikael sang Bleak perfectly. Yet I really think you guys are over estimating the influences by Steven Wilson. Sure they have changed their sound, but I don't think things would have sounded siginficantly different if Steven Wilson didn't produce the album.

I think most of the PT influences you guys are hearing is more from Mikael being a huge PT fan than the fact that Steven Wilson is producing the albums. The band has changed and anything you do now would not make them sound like their old albums again.

Opeth is influenced by PT sure...however the O still sounds not a fucking thing like PT. Opeth's and PT's respective styles of 'prog rock' are so fucking different to me that a whine about how Wilson is restricting Akerfeldt's creativity is a fucking crock.