nyc 2/23 setlist

I loved the setlist, because I've never seen them live before. So I got the staples of their setlist, a few odd songs, a few new songs, and it generally worked out very well for me.

The seating worked out fine as well. I saw the whole downstairs part stanbding, but the balcony sat most of the time (we all stood for DOTF). There was one guy on the loge level who was headbanging like crazy though (in the beginning). And I don't like to mosh anyway, so it worked for me.

it was just fantastic. pure ownage

the setlist may have been a little on the ordinary side, but it was the first time for me seeing them anyway so i loved it (white cluster absoluetely pwned)

i was expecting some in mist.. too bad

peter/per way too low in the mix, sound mediocre overall.

I was a bit let down. They only played one song from the first four albums, I would've loved to hear some more material off Still Life. The ballet didn't take up time really, they went on at 8, done by 8:15, when the Opeth show was supposed to start. They started at 8:30 and were done by 11 sharp. I was hoping for atleast 3 hours, but oh well. A so so Opeth show is still a mind-blowing experience, atleast for me.

The ballet was comical, honestly. I don't know the first thing about ballet, but I don't think those four girls were the next Barishnokovs. The only cheering they got was for one of the girls being hot (whistles) and for the quiet part right before the end of the song in Deliverance, when the crowd got excited. I didn't see the dancing really matching up with the music or even any exciting moves. I'm glad it only lasted as long as Deliverance did. Speaking of which, I wish they would have forgone playing that song live since we'd already heard it, and instead played one or two other tracks. Deliverance kicks ass, sure, but I think the 13 min could've been put to better use.

Just for the record, I love Opeth and I'll go to any show they do. I hate complaining about anything they do, since their music has given me so much.

that is not really a good setlist for a new dvd, how can white cluster be the only still life song, leper affinity be the only blackwater song and amen corner be the song of choice from mayh

a rofl nazi said:
^ they played DOTF too.

that doesnt count, they play that every show...its supposed to be a "special" show...close with serenity painted death or something and have it lead into epilogue for 10 minutes

DEMIgOD said:
yeah, we need a boot of The Night and the Silent Water.

I can confirm NYC was bootlegged Audio.

I thought they said 4 songs they'd never played in America before? I wish they'd play Night and Silent Water in the normal show's sets :p

BreathingShadow said:
that doesnt count, they play that every show...its supposed to be a "special" show...close with serenity painted death or something and have it lead into epilogue for 10 minutes

lol at the likelyhood of something like that... most people there were basically wtf'ing at the first 3 songs.. most people dont know the rarer stuff.

and they havnt played DOTF in 3 months mike said before they played it

sounds like a sarcastic joke or something that they have gone 3 months without playing it like that is the longest theyve ever gone

DEMIgOD said:
ohhhh? Can we confirm it making its way over on these boards? hahah

Well the guy just posted on the message board saying he taped it and was going to bed. I'm not sure how he's planning on distrubuting it, might be trade only, might be torrent.

if you really have a bootleg from that show i would love to get it. I attented it but didnt get there until they were just finishing up the amen corner. so i would love to hear natsw & under the weeping moon live. Also out of curiosty it would be great if you could post how well the quality of the recording is. Also then definitly need Lopez back hes just as much a member as peter and mikael. If your also gonna put the bootleg up on bearshare or a p2p program please post that you did so im sure me and every other opeth would love to get their hands on a copy of that show. Im really hoping they make a dvd out of one of the special shows. Lamentations is great but to have a chronilogical dvd would be awesome. Also the show was mind blowing white cluster was amazing, so was windowpane. There were a few mishaps from the drummer and very few from the guitarists, but noones perfect even though opeth is on cd. just please keep the forum updated about the bootleg of the show.

Anyone else completely bummed out that they didn't play Black Rose Immortal? I was half expecting it as an encore, I mean what more could you ask for in an encore for a Chronology show?

I wonder if the Chicaco and LA sets will be longer. Mike talked quite a bit about not talking to much so they could keep on schedule. I'm assuming there might be a noise ordinance or something of that sort in that area of town starting at 11, so perhaps it was not a two and a half hour set by choice?

Other than The Night and the Slient Water the show was a complete letdown. Instead of playing older classics that were not a part of the current tour they decide to play A Fair Judgement and Windowpane. Everything else other than these three songs have been played on the tour so far.

I mean, come on, A Fair Judgement and Windowpane instead of something like The Twilight Is My Robe, In Mist She Was Standing, Apostle In Triumph, Nectar or even Black Rose Immortal???? Shit, I would've even taken April Ethereal, When, The Moor, Serenity Painted Death, The Face of Melinda, By The Pain I See in Others and on and on and on over those two.

Complete lack of respect for the older material. I know they're supposed to promote Ghost Reveries for Roadrunner and the later releases are what they identify more with lately, but this was supposed to be a SPECIAL show - an exception to the regular "Johnny Come Lately" setlists. A night where ALL parts of their catalogue get celebrated with EQUAL importance and instead we get the same old, same old save for a few tidbits.

Yes The Amen Corner and Under The Weeping Moon are great addtions to this tour's setlist, but they certainly were not exclusive to this show whatsoever.

As always, the songs they did play were played well enough and everything, but it simply wasn't treated like the special night it should've been.

No one's going to be able to sugarcoat it for me either unless you've never seen them live or only one other time or something - then I can understand why you would've been blown away by it. But for someone who has seen them in concert multiple times in the past 5 years or so and hoping for something truly unique given the writeup about the show on the band's website and all the hype surrounding it?

A gigantic, monumental and colossal letdown.