nyc 2/23 setlist

Well the Americans seem to take everything incredibly seriously like a binding contract. Any of you going to sue the band for not providing you four (4) new songs you haven't heard before in the states? Personally, I'd be satisfied to see Opeth play any song from their catalog. That they played Amen Corner & Night & The Silent Water would be enough for me to be wowed bigtime. I would include Under The Weeping Moon as well, but I did see that here in the UK. Isn't that 3 songs rarely/never played in the US?

Instead of bitching about how much you thought it sucked, why not ask the band what they had in mind and why they chose the songs they did? "It sucked" solves absolutely nothing for anyone.

SPLASTiK said:
Yeah, especially when it was billed they'd be playing at least 4 songs never played on American soil and they didn't even do that.

did they say theyd play 4 never before heard (in america) songs at EACH chronology set...or just as parts of the sets...period...?

because i dont see, in the announcement on opeth.com where they say, each show will contain 4. i see 'the setlist' (note, not plural, as if to say the entire chronology setlist (all 3 shows)) contains 4...not, each setlist contains 4.

People here are whining like unbelievable!!! You'd think the band sold out, and played some "new hit singles" or something for half the show. Robert Fripp said "Expectation is a Prison" Think about it. Everybody had there "ultimate setlists " designed in their heads, and forget to fill in the band on what to play. I saw the show, and what no-one (except a few) is mentioning is that Opeth Kicked butt for 2 1/2 hours!!! It was a Tight, great show. Of course, if you wanted to hear a song, and didn't you might be MOMENTARILY bummed, but GET OVER IT. Anybody who has ever gone to a concert goes through the same expectation/reality crunch. Great show, and thank you guys. I'm 45, and been to LOTS of shows, and this was a special one.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
because i dont see, in the announcement on opeth.com where they say, each show will contain 4. i see 'the setlist' (note, not plural, as if to say the entire chronology setlist (all 3 shows)) contains 4...not, each setlist contains 4.

That's not how I read it... It sounds like each show to me and having the same setlist. To me it says the Chronology shows will have an exclusive extended setlist consisting of 4 songs never before played.

Also from Roadrunner describing the NYC show setlist on blabbermouth:
The setlist boasted no less than four songs that haven't been performed on American soil and several others that haven't been played for years.

Which isn't true.

Kenneth R. said:
Cry me a river and sue your favorite band. :yuk:

I didn't attend so I can't :tickled:

Though I wouldn't sue them anyways because they played my favourite song, which is the only time they'd ever played it live... and just on principal.

I don't think anyone really thinks it sucks or the band performed poorly. They're just disappointed that the shows were dubbed this exclusive special show and they just had an idea they'd be playing a much different special setlist compared to the other shows on the tour. Besides just a couple songs they really aren't. Some people paid big bucks for seats, travelled across country, travelled from overseas, etc. they got a special show and a good show, it just didn't live up to the hype.

Hi dudes!

Well, we all know that Opeth is a bunch of lazy guys! They don't rehearse when they are at home, so, imagine if they will do that on tour? No. That's why the set list is almost always the same.

And, for what we saw on the official site, this show and the next ones would be especial due to tracks never played before. Yes, they played, but only two? Me, as a fan, would be dissapointed like many of you. Maybe "false propaganda" (I don't know if this is the correct term in english).

So, I understood you behaviour. They're booked to play in Brazil around september and I won't miss. For me it'll be great 'cause it'll be my first live experience with Opeth, so, I don't care if they play the same set list as always! But, as I said, maybe you americans are sick and tired of Opeth playing the same stuff and are hunger for other songs. But have in mind that almost all bands act like this, playing always the same songs, their hits! It's more confortable for them.

I thought this show put Opeth on a different level. Genres of music entertain in different ways. What makes Opeth special is that they have the ability to hit the intensity of death metal and also those "sublime" moments that one only gets with great progressive rock like Pink Floyd.

This was the first time they hit both moments in spades. Between The Amen Corner, White Cluster, and Ghost of Perdition, the energy in the room was peaked. And in terms of sublime moments, I would have to say that A Fair Judgement and Closure were tops. A Fair Judgement The middle section of Closure, where Per does his keyboard solo and Mikael doodles on the guitar just elevated the show to another level, it was like watching a great Jazz band or Prog Art Rock band at work.

I don't agree with those disappointed with the choice of setlist. Picking the most obscure old songs doesn't make for a great concert. Frankly, a lot of those old Orchid and Morningrise songs are repetitious, meandering, and not very entertaining to see live -- they're meant for personal enjoyment on headphones. There are lots of great Opeth songs, and the ones they chose are some of their best, including some that we haven't heard very often -- The Night in the Silent Water, The Amen Corner, etc. Yes, there is a place for yesterday, but the post-Morningrise stuff is absolutely killer. We are dealing with a band that is arguably getting better with every album release - Ghost Reveries is the new Still Life for me...

SPLASTiK said:
I didn't attend so I can't :tickled:

Though I wouldn't sue them anyways because they played my favourite song, which is the only time they'd ever played it live... and just on principal.

I don't think anyone really thinks it sucks or the band performed poorly. They're just disappointed that the shows were dubbed this exclusive special show and they just had an idea they'd be playing a much different special setlist compared to the other shows on the tour. Besides just a couple songs they really aren't. Some people paid big bucks for seats, travelled across country, travelled from overseas, etc. they got a special show and a good show, it just didn't live up to the hype.

^^EXACTLY! Everyone has a right to their opinion whether they thought the show was good or bad. There is no reason to get all pissy at someone because they said they were a bit disappointed. Being from America has nothing to do with it (besides that dude from Brazil said he would be disappointed too :Smug: ). I bet it was hard for the people that were let down to admit it, I mean, who wants to admit that their favorite band let them down?!

General Zod said:
When he first relayed his comments to me, I was a bit taken back by just how disappointed he was. That said, he's been a fan since "Morningrise". I think when Opeth chose to bill these shows as "special", he expected, and in my opinion rightfully so, something a little more than what was delivered.

Agreed. However, for these "special" shows, they could have put a bit more emphasis on their earlier works. The chances that we'll get to hear older material, as their discography expands and as they move further away from their roots, diminishes with time. And I believe that's where is disappointment is rooted.

Zod

Fair enough :)

The show woulda been a lot better if people weren't reading rumors and spam on these boards and blabbermouth. If there was no internet, none of this whining would be happening. Sometimes americans give me a bad name..

i wasn't there, but i wonder if all the moaning people have considered this....

There are two new members in Opeth. Both of them are learning the stuff and how to fit in with the older classics. Its obvious that they will only pick songs that Per can significantly contribute to (when i saw them in london, he was adding really nice touches to tracks he was never originally part of), otherwise he just sits there and does nothing for most of the gig. Axenrot must also still be learning all the time.

oh and by the way, how is Axenrot holding up now? In london he was pretty sluggish at times...i dont hear any complaints....

You know what? if you guys are gonna complain about what songs were and werent played. then why dont you start your own band and when you have 8 albums under your belt and people talk shit about what song you played and whether or not you were into a particular song you played etc... rather than enjoy themselves, then you will have your answers.

old fans and those who have seen them 10 plus times, deal with it. they aint a garage band anymore and the old material is "old". you have to admit GR is the most dynamic and ambitious material they have ever written.

remember they know have to play shows with 8 albums and 8 plus hours worth of material behind them. nobody wants to hear 1 hour of obscure tracks off the first 3 albums except the oldest fans.

so grow up and stop bashing them because they didnt play whatever from 1993. its just stupid

I think peopel should just be happy they played an extended set, and played a song from each album.

Under the weeping moon owns hard, anything off orchid is worth the trip right there. Closure rules hard. The night and silent is awesome......Ive never seen amen corner, i cant wait for the wiltern

ahnkou said:
The show woulda been a lot better if people weren't reading rumors and spam on these boards and blabbermouth. If there was no internet, none of this whining would be happening. Sometimes americans give me a bad name..
+1.

The whining is unbearable :erk:

I understand that long time fans bitch about predictable set lists, ignoring old and rare songs, half-ass fans at the shows who talk or only know the new album, and so on. I mean, the last couple times I saw Metallica - years ago - I was disgusted. But let's look it it from my perspective. I'm in my thirties, and when I listened to "death metal" it was over 15 years and it was bands like Death, Morbid Angel, and Obituary. I liked it, but I got bored of the genre and the cookie monster vocals and the repetition.
I recently poked around - this year - just to see if there was anyting decent goin gon in metal beyond the crap you see on MTV. I heard Opeth, and I was blown away. I only have the 3 latest albums, and to me, the setlist fucking rocked. Sure, I'm a johnny-come-lately but really - get over yourselves. Music is a business and theyre on Roadrunner - a label that carries garbage like Slipknot and disgraceful travesties like Nickelback. But apparently, considering I've had to endure Nickelback on the radio a few times, they know how to promote and sell artists. Good for Opeth. they deserve it. And good set list for the folks just getting aboard who appreciate that they kick fuckin ass. It was my first Opeth concert, I fuckin loved it, and I'm glad they didnt play obscure shit. This is New York, man - and like I said, it's a business. Until we can do away with record companies, we're gonna have to live with it.