nyc 2/23 setlist

GoP, Amen Corner, TNATSW, Under the weeping moon (<- this was played in Europe tour only,right?)
There you go 4 songs they never played in US soil before.

Well I think Americans are just hard to please. They've been raised like that I think. But however I'll go to LA Wiltern show, if they play Amen Corner (I'v got a tattoo influenced by that song) and TNATWS, I'll die as a happy man. btw I agree that NY set list is disappointing for those who saw opeth for 349349 times. but there's no need to bitching..

Next day I'll be seeing them in Arizona anyway. and possibly in San Diego.
So there's nothing to complain for me :D

atrocity said:
GoP, Amen Corner, TNATSW, Under the weeping moon (<- this was played in Europe tour only,right?)
There you go 4 songs they never played in US soil before.

You're 100% sure on this?? Why the hell are people complaining then?? *shakes head*

The site reads... "never played on American soil". Not... "never played anywhere".

And if GoP was played before, well, that's on this particular leg of the tour. Therefore, I guess that counts as "never played on American soil".

Make sense??

%100 sure about GoP,Amen Corner,TNATSW(hell, this song was NEVER played live before, and im soo surprised they played it, cuz the reason Mikael doesn't like it, is that he wrote it after the passing of his grandfather.)
%99.9 sure about Under The Weeping Moon.

GoP was played before it so it doesnt count.

Under the Weeping was also played here before.

Only the Amen Corner and TNATSW are new.

blimey said:
GoP was played before it so it doesnt count.

Under the Weeping was also played here before.

In the US?
I'd like to know the places/dates :D

As far as I know those 2 songs were played in the last EUROPEAN tour, not the US.

atrocity said:
%100 sure about GoP,Amen Corner,TNATSW(hell, this song was NEVER played live before, and im soo surprised they played it, cuz the reason Mikael doesn't like it, is that he wrote it after the passing of his grandfather.)
%99.9 sure about Under The Weeping Moon.

Ok, then people should pay attention to your post then and stop complaining.

I did see someone mention here that GoP was played at another U.S. show, but like I said..... "only on this leg of the tour". Last leg it wasn't played therefore it counts as never yet played on American soil.

See what I'm saying??

We as fans don't really have a right to be upset at the band for the set list they chose to play. With that said, we can certainly be disappointed with it. Our disappointment is legit because this show really looked like it was gonna cater to some of the die hard fans that have wanted to see some of the more obscure songs played for quite awhile. While the show sort of did that, it could have done it a whole lot more. I don't think any of us are mad or upset at the band...we're just disappointed because the chances of ever seeing some of the really obscure or non-live friendly songs are ridiculously small now. I mean come on, how often do you think they're gonna do Chronology shows? Once every 5 years? And even again it's a toss up.

I'm disappointed because I have a horrible feeling I'll never see Black Rose Immortal played live, and seeing that would let me die a happy man. Disappointed, not angry, and we as fans have a right to be disappointed.

For the record, I am american, and I have seen Opeth two times prior to this event. I thought it was fucking awesome! I'll give you some info that all the complainers left out.

Under the Weeping Moon
Incredible. The screens on the projector were pretty sweet in the begining of the show. They had some pictures of what looked to be Sweden with snow covered buildings etc.

The Night and the Silent Water
Amazing. Mike said he would never play this live, and here I am talking about it after I just saw them play it for the first time. I'd pay twenty bucks to see this alone. :D

The Amen Corner
Actually a surprising choice from MAYH. They played it quite flawlessly and I was pretty impressed with the sound on this one.

White Cluster
Mikes solo was awesome :D and the light parts were amazing as well.

The Leper Affinity
Pretty sweet. This might have been around the time that Axe ripped off his shirt and started going berserk on the drums.

A Fair Judgement
This was pretty cool. Per was playing the ending of Leper Affinity on the keys, and he morphed it into the intro to A Fair Judgement, which I thought was an interesting little twist. Some of the fans there probably had no idea what was going on.

Deliverence
Always a favorite to see live. Axe continues to impress me the more I see him live.

Windowpane
Mike changed the solo a bit during this song. I heard a couple of people complain about how he fucked it up, but the little twist he did was pretty interesting. It wasnt anything major but, I liked how he changed it. I think he should do that more often.

Closure
This song is where Axe really stood out. From him hitting the cymbols almost exactly like Lopez to where the song picked up and he was going absolutly crazy.... I was extremely impressed with his playing. Per also had a little key solo thing, while Mike and Peter were playing fucked up shit on their guitars (in a cool way that is)

Ghost of Perdition
What can I say? Awesome. One of my favorite songs on the new album played live right before my eyes. I'm sure the people who have seen this live know that he sings a little different on those mellow parts. The Ahhhhhhhhh.... ahhhhhh... uhhhhhh.. ahheahhhh (does a more high pitched thing live)

The Baying of the Hounds
I would never be disapointed with this song on the setlist. Always a kickass song!

The Grand Conjuration
Despite people saying that this song sucks, it doesnt matter. This song is 100x better live than on the CD version. Fuckin' incredible.

Demon of the Fall
This was actually quite interesting. The band wasn't planning on playing an encore at all. Some fans would disagree with that, but ive seen them two times before and they never started packing up their guitars and then came back out. Took longer than usual for the Opeth chant to summon the band back to their rightful spot on the stage. When they did come out, Mike looked over to the sound guys and he was playing air guitar to let them know they needed their instruments back. Then said something like "We actually werent planning on playing an encore here because of the long set but... well you guys know what the fuck this is." - Commence DoTF.

Side Notes
The band did a little bow at the end that was quite amusing. Axe seemed left out up there on the drums so Mike motioned him to come down and they all bowed, followed by Mike laughing and saying "Thats actually the first time we ever did that bow thing." I thought it was pretty funny at least.

The lighting was new and brought more to the performance. There was only one bad thing about the lighting. Those fucking high beam lights that seemed to be pointed directly at the balcony level where I was sitting. They kept flashing during the last few songs and made me go blind. They had some sweet spotlights that moved around on the slower songs which were awesome. Also some red laser things on the evil songs... sorta like Coldplay with those green lasers.

Screens: Probably not worth it to watch them alone and not the band. But it was different than the epic "O" over the band. During one of the songs, there were pictures that would start out looking really bad, then they would slowly morph into an awesome picture of a bridge or something, probably from Stockholm?

Mike Jokes
Someone yelled out bass player a few times and Mike and Mendez seemed to laugh as if they knew exactly where it came from.

People yelling stuff became pretty funny. Though they did yell out some dumb shit, Mike was able to shut them up most of the time. Someone yelled out "Soldier of Fortune" and Mike started to play it with some funny vocals. Also someone yelled out "Slayer" and he attempted to play it for a second and then replied "I cant play slayer, you know why? Cause they fuckin' suck." Then he laughed when fans thought he was serious.

Also, whoever the kid was on the left in the balcony standing up for 10 minutes when everyone on that side was yelling "SIT THE FUCK DOWN" is a dumbass. Not only did he not realize they were talking to him, but he looked like a fucking idiot. Then some guy that looked like John Petrucci went down and yelled at him during "deliverance" and the whole balcony cheered when he came back to take a seat.

You saved the day Petrucci. You saved it.

Mirrored Ghost said:
Ok, then people should pay attention to your post then and stop complaining.

I did see someone mention here that GoP was played at another U.S. show, but like I said..... "only on this leg of the tour". Last leg it wasn't played therefore it counts as never yet played on American soil.

See what I'm saying??

lol, of course.
But obviously some people doesn't get this :erk:

Ok, check out this thread....

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4522641&postcount=29

GoP & Under the Weeping Moon were played. BUT!!! This setlist happened after the announcement of there being songs never played on American soil. Which is another thing to consider besides that they were played on THIS leg and not the last. Therefore, it would make sense to conclude that the advertisement on the news page is indeed accurate.

lol. I sound like a lawyer.

i can't believe that the band are such assholes, that they won't read people's mind's and and compose the perfect setlist that will please everyone. i guess this is what happens when a band becomes more popular. they start trying to cater to the less important new fans by playing more songs off of their recent albums. or what, do the recent songs better represent the band and where they are musically?
pfffffft.

for the people demanding BRI: Awesome as that may be, it's a 20 minute song. You can have your BRI and then whine about not hearing hardly another songs considering it takes a slot of 2-3 songs to perform it. However, with Night & Silent Water played, I still wouldn't discount it completely.

Black Rose said:
Thanks to TheApostle for that rundown of the show. It was a good read.

agreed, it made me excited for the chicago show. Everyone else just kept rambling the same stupid things over and over again, either complaining or complaining about people complaining.

TheApostle said:
For the record, I am american, and I have seen Opeth two times prior to this event. I thought it was fucking awesome! I'll give you some info that all the complainers left out.

Under the Weeping Moon
Incredible. The screens on the projector were pretty sweet in the begining of the show. They had some pictures of what looked to be Sweden with snow covered buildings etc.

The Night and the Silent Water
Amazing. Mike said he would never play this live, and here I am talking about it after I just saw them play it for the first time. I'd pay twenty bucks to see this alone. :D

The Amen Corner
Actually a surprising choice from MAYH. They played it quite flawlessly and I was pretty impressed with the sound on this one.

White Cluster
Mikes solo was awesome :D and the light parts were amazing as well.

The Leper Affinity
Pretty sweet. This might have been around the time that Axe ripped off his shirt and started going berserk on the drums.

A Fair Judgement
This was pretty cool. Per was playing the ending of Leper Affinity on the keys, and he morphed it into the intro to A Fair Judgement, which I thought was an interesting little twist. Some of the fans there probably had no idea what was going on.

Deliverence
Always a favorite to see live. Axe continues to impress me the more I see him live.

Windowpane
Mike changed the solo a bit during this song. I heard a couple of people complain about how he fucked it up, but the little twist he did was pretty interesting. It wasnt anything major but, I liked how he changed it. I think he should do that more often.

Closure
This song is where Axe really stood out. From him hitting the cymbols almost exactly like Lopez to where the song picked up and he was going absolutly crazy.... I was extremely impressed with his playing. Per also had a little key solo thing, while Mike and Peter were playing fucked up shit on their guitars (in a cool way that is)

Ghost of Perdition
What can I say? Awesome. One of my favorite songs on the new album played live right before my eyes. I'm sure the people who have seen this live know that he sings a little different on those mellow parts. The Ahhhhhhhhh.... ahhhhhh... uhhhhhh.. ahheahhhh (does a more high pitched thing live)

The Baying of the Hounds
I would never be disapointed with this song on the setlist. Always a kickass song!

The Grand Conjuration
Despite people saying that this song sucks, it doesnt matter. This song is 100x better live than on the CD version. Fuckin' incredible.

Demon of the Fall
This was actually quite interesting. The band wasn't planning on playing an encore at all. Some fans would disagree with that, but ive seen them two times before and they never started packing up their guitars and then came back out. Took longer than usual for the Opeth chant to summon the band back to their rightful spot on the stage. When they did come out, Mike looked over to the sound guys and he was playing air guitar to let them know they needed their instruments back. Then said something like "We actually werent planning on playing an encore here because of the long set but... well you guys know what the fuck this is." - Commence DoTF.

Side Notes
The band did a little bow at the end that was quite amusing. Axe seemed left out up there on the drums so Mike motioned him to come down and they all bowed, followed by Mike laughing and saying "Thats actually the first time we ever did that bow thing." I thought it was pretty funny at least.

The lighting was new and brought more to the performance. There was only one bad thing about the lighting. Those fucking high beam lights that seemed to be pointed directly at the balcony level where I was sitting. They kept flashing during the last few songs and made me go blind. They had some sweet spotlights that moved around on the slower songs which were awesome. Also some red laser things on the evil songs... sorta like Coldplay with those green lasers.

Screens: Probably not worth it to watch them alone and not the band. But it was different than the epic "O" over the band. During one of the songs, there were pictures that would start out looking really bad, then they would slowly morph into an awesome picture of a bridge or something, probably from Stockholm?

Mike Jokes
Someone yelled out bass player a few times and Mike and Mendez seemed to laugh as if they knew exactly where it came from.

People yelling stuff became pretty funny. Though they did yell out some dumb shit, Mike was able to shut them up most of the time. Someone yelled out "Soldier of Fortune" and Mike started to play it with some funny vocals. Also someone yelled out "Slayer" and he attempted to play it for a second and then replied "I cant play slayer, you know why? Cause they fuckin' suck." Then he laughed when fans thought he was serious.

Also, whoever the kid was on the left in the balcony standing up for 10 minutes when everyone on that side was yelling "SIT THE FUCK DOWN" is a dumbass. Not only did he not realize they were talking to him, but he looked like a fucking idiot. Then some guy that looked like John Petrucci went down and yelled at him during "deliverance" and the whole balcony cheered when he came back to take a seat.

You saved the day Petrucci. You saved it.

I'm quoting this review because everyone should read it. Best post in the thread as it gave the most detailed description of what went on last night.

Apostle, thanks for that... I just relived the show.

With all of this bitching and moaning, I want to know something. If everyone who has posted on this thread that went to the show knew exactly what was going to be played beforehand, would you still have paid whatever price you paid for the ticket and would you still have gone or would you not have gone at all, knowing you would just leave the show disappointed and that it wouldn't be worth it? I'm completely serious! I want to know from all of you!