nyc 2/23 setlist

Jesus, some people just aren't getting it...folks aren't saying that the show sucked, and I'm sure they're still grateful they got to see the 'peth...but as someone already said, this WAS billed as a special night and people flew in from all over the place and spent a LOT of money to see....well, what ended up being a pretty average setlist.

I'm sure it was an amazing show, but the setlist leaves a bit to be desired.

and BTW, this "you americans" thing is a pretty dickheaded way to describe it.

Towedwart said:
I didn't think they've played Ghost of Perdition in America yet...
They have... look here. It's the setlist for the Raleigh, NC show that was Feb. 15

And personally, I would have LOVED to see this show... and it saddens me a bit that we didn't actually get it at the Raleigh show (which in the end, I don't really care, that show was an excellent show regardless!). I hope they do this again in the future... but really I don't care in the end... Just as long as in the future I get to witness in the future the magic that is Opeth live.

Kenneth R. said:
Well the Americans seem to take everything incredibly seriously like a binding contract. Any of you going to sue the band for not providing you four (4) new songs you haven't heard before in the states? Personally, I'd be satisfied to see Opeth play any song from their catalog. That they played Amen Corner & Night & The Silent Water would be enough for me to be wowed bigtime. I would include Under The Weeping Moon as well, but I did see that here in the UK. Isn't that 3 songs rarely/never played in the US?

Instead of bitching about how much you thought it sucked, why not ask the band what they had in mind and why they chose the songs they did? "It sucked" solves absolutely nothing for anyone.

Thats what I was trying to say but yours made more sense :D

the only reason anyone cares about the night and the silent water is because mikael said he doesnt like it so that makes it rare...i didnt see this song very high up on the polls when everyone played the "best song" competition thing... still not boosting the setlist above average

er, thats not true.. it's been one of my favourites since I first heard it and long before I started reading into the the band's bio...

This pisses me off, the show was amazing and I come back to see some people just whining their asses off. wah wah wah Opeth doesnt make me happy they didnt work hard enough and make the show everything I wanted it to be wah wah wah huge letdown roadrunner blabbermouth 4 new songs wah wah wah... Shit people stop being so fucking selfish..

Kenneth R. said:
I would love to see a DVD comprising a compilation from these 3 shows in chronological order including those 4 songs.

like the amon amarth dvd set that has like....4 live shows +extras? :D

Seriously, like the other guy had said, the setlist from all 3 shows boasts 4 never played before songs on american soil. In the whole paragraph that the official Opeth site says (dont believe blabbermouth, its not Opeth's official site, even if it is owned by roadrunner), they always refer to the set as plural, meaning all 3 of them. Sorry, but I think that most people simply misread it. The show was just way overhyped, and I hate when people do this. HIGH expectations usually lead to dissapointment. I had high expectations, but I was definitely impressed.

The "these Americans" posts really dont surprise me. If this gig was in another country, you woudnt hear half the whiny baby bitching that you are hearing right now. The crowd sucked anyways, everybody was just shouting shit like assholes when Mikael was trying to talk, and were just being assholes. This is definitely typical american attitude. Chill the fuck out and be glad you got one of the best setlists Opeth has ever played.

Oh, and btw, I LOVED TNATSW before I know that was one of the songs that Mikael said he would never play. Im glad he played that song cause I love it, not because its never played. I think that would be the best live song off the album. Who cares about BRI anyways, its just a 20 minute song that easily could have been broken into 3 parts. Just cause its so damn long you guys want them to play it. There are like 50 songs that would sound better live than that, and they played them

I cant believe that anyone could have went to that show and came home dissapointed. And the other shows where they played The Amen Corner and White Cluster for like the first time, I think they were just warming them up for this gig. I think they considered those to be some of the exclusive songs. Just cause they played it twice or 3 times in america like 2 weeks before this show doesnt mean that it didnt count as part of the special set. You guys arent happy with anything, you expected Opeth to play your dream setlist. I wish I never came on these forums to read your bullshit hype.

The "these Americans" posts really dont surprise me. If this gig was in another country, you woudnt hear half the whiny baby bitching that you are hearing right now.

lol :(

EternalMetal said:
The "these Americans" posts really dont surprise me. If this gig was in another country, you woudnt hear half the whiny baby bitching that you are hearing right now. The crowd sucked anyways, everybody was just shouting shit like assholes when Mikael was trying to talk, and were just being assholes. This is definitely typical american attitude. Chill the fuck out and be glad you got one of the best setlists Opeth has ever played.

It sucks to say that you're right. I only understood what Mike was saying once or twice because of those dicks that wouldnt shut up. It makes me hate being part of the American fanbase sometimes.

EternalMetal said:
I cant believe that anyone could have went to that show and came home dissapointed. And the other shows where they played The Amen Corner and White Cluster for like the first time, I think they were just warming them up for this gig. I think they considered those to be some of the exclusive songs. Just cause they played it twice or 3 times in america like 2 weeks before this show doesnt mean that it didnt count as part of the special set. You guys arent happy with anything, you expected Opeth to play your dream setlist. I wish I never came on these forums to read your bullshit hype.

White Cluster was played on like, every show they did in 2001...therefore I'm definitely sick of hearing it live cause I didn't like it in the first place ^_^ They should play serenity painted death some more methinks.

Those of us who have always favored the older Opeth releases will always be dissapointed by the lack of songs played from those records. I saw Opeth for the 5th time friday night, and will say it was the best Opeth performance I had ever seen, mainly for White Cluster, Amen Corner and Under The Weeping Moon.

Although I really wanted to go to NY to see this "ultimate Opeth show," I'm glad I didn't go out of my way to do so. It was basically the set I saw, with Night and the Silent Water (I'm sure this was MIND NUMBING!!) and other songs I have seen before (Leper, Window, etc). What would be great is if they decide to record one of the remaining shows for a DVD.

Cheers to those of you who went! I passed on a 6th Opeth show for Dark Tranquillity's first US headlining show, and a (one song :() longer Devin Townsend set. Everybody wins!

well i don't know if you guys were listening to what "those americans" were shouting, but from some other reviews of the show that I read, much of it was inside jokes and stuff (people mentioning Steel and "heavy metal machine", bass player etc.) that kinds of things are ok IMO, and all in good fun--but i don't know what else was going on at that show.

There was that, which wasnt what interfered with Mike talking for the most part. Then there were people who just screamed when mike was trying to talk and some who just screamed song after song after song while he was trying to announce what was coming up next.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
did they say theyd play 4 never before heard (in america) songs at EACH chronology set...or just as parts of the sets...period...?

because i dont see, in the announcement on opeth.com where they say, each show will contain 4. i see 'the setlist' (note, not plural, as if to say the entire chronology setlist (all 3 shows)) contains 4...not, each setlist contains 4.

^ One of the most insightful posts in this thread thus far. Necromantic, that is the way I'm reading it too. At this point, I think people should take that into consideration and when the other chronology shows are over, we should have the answer. There is a good possibility that people misunderstood what was written.

I also agree with a lot of what Kenneth R. is saying.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show very much. Some highlights for me were the Mike & Peter solo exchanges during White Cluster. Per's solo in Closure was an excellent embellishment. Loved The Night and the Silent Water. Actually, the entire show was a highlight. I wish I could do it all over again. The guys rocked hard.... I'm amazed at how they can go on for so long without losing the stamina they had when they first came out on stage.

Excellent show.

Waited outside for a looooooooooong time but they didn't come out. Anyone here see them??

I'm going to the Wiltern show...and looking this setlist, I'm disappointed, but not appalled. like said in the previous posts, the show was way overhyped and people(myself included) thought there'd be like at least 2 songs from each of the first 4 albums. Instead we get 2 mediocre songs from Damnation, the grand conjuration, 2 songs from Deliverance and the same encore...if this were a normal setlist, I'd totally understand. But this is "Special" show...which leads it to being a let down plain and simple. Life goes on I guess haha. I'm still glad I'll get to see Opeth again and I hope the LA show is slightly different perhaps. But all "these Americans" bitching...it's all a bunch of text, I doubt half of these people would be yelling and screaming like it in person. You europeans can't complain because you get great metal shows ALL the time....bands like katatontia, novembre, enslaved, mors principium est, and all the rest of the melodic extreme bands never come here! I'm very grateful don't get me wrong ,that we do get some metalbands here because other nations in the world like Brazil and Argentina do very rarely! but I think it's a misconception that "we Americans" are the luckiest people in the world, Europe is a metal region and it will always have the best metal, so all you euros. talking shit, it's just so easy for you isn't it.