nyc 2/23 setlist

Cool, no I'm not upset at all. I think the setlist was a good one and there's no way to please everyone unless we play every fucking song we ever recorded I guess.
Indeed I fucked the 1st Windowpane solo up and I felt awful! Don't know what happened.

On the last US tour we played a very different setlist from this one, in fact there's only Deliverance + 2 new ones left as far as I remember. Demon we never expected to play last night so it was a heat of the moment desicion backstage.

Some are saying it was too short. 2 and a half hours of death metal is a world record for crying out loud! We we're fucking tired after it I can tell ya that!

Well, well, next time we'll come back doing silent pantomimes and shadow boxing maybe some will think it was "cool"!?

Cheers
Mike

Mike, you guys went the *perfect* amount of time! Right after the encore my friend and I booked it to the port authority and made it to our bus ride home with seconds to spare!!

yeah the complaints are pretty stupid when youre seeing 2 and a half hours of opeth, Mike feel absolutely free to play even half that setlist when you come to new zealand and i will be happy as hell, looking forward to seeing you grace our shores!

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
Well, well, next time we'll come back doing silent pantomimes and shadow boxing maybe some will think it was "cool"!?

But who wouldn't pay to see that? :tickled:

I thought Opeth played Amen Corner on a previous US Tour? Guess I was wrong as well.

The internet can be a dangerous thing, people had their own ideas of what was going to happen and build up hype around what they think will take place. When you dodn't live up to what they thought would happen they feel disappointed. It's in no way the band's fault, some people just get carried away.

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
Indeed I fucked the 1st Windowpane solo up and I felt awful! Don't know what happened.

Don't feel awful. I paid very close attention to that solo and I thought it was an embellishment... not a fuck up. Well, hats off to you Mikael for carrying it out so beautifully. :cool:

Mikael Akerfeldt said:

Cheers
Mike

:tickled:

By the way, I like the way the "new album" sounds. You made me laugh really hard when you did that towards the end of the show. :D

Just wanted to add that I think it's very kind of you to be interacting with the fans here, Mikael, and looking foward to future shows in NYC.

Sandy ; )

Loved it.

Too bad they didn't play In the Mist she was Standing.

I'll hire the band to play that for me, once I get my fat bonus.

atrocity said:
GoP, Amen Corner, TNATSW, Under the weeping moon (<- this was played in Europe tour only,right?)
There you go 4 songs they never played in US soil before.

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
4 songs never played in US before...well: Ghost of perdition, Under the weeping moon, The night and the silent water, The amen corner

FUCK YES!! mikael quoted me!! :tickled: /sarcasm.

See you on San Diego, Los Angeles, and Phoenix, whatever set list you come up with,Mike :headbang:

I've been a fan for like 7-8 years and I thought the show was fuckin good. Sure, I would have loved to have heard In Mist She Was Standing or something but I'm not complaining. TNATSW and UTWM were fuckin sick.

I also hung out for a while after the show and met the band again. The guys are always cool to us. I got Mike and Peter to sign my "Heavy Metal Machine" 7". I also tried to convince Peter to post on the board and he said he's been thinking about it. Let's not scare him away with all the bitching and complaining..

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
there's no way to please everyone unless we play every fucking song we ever recorded I guess.

I'm pretty sure that even that would draw complaints..

people standing for 8-9 hours, the band would probably be about ready to completely pass out (especially axe...if he wasnt already passed out :tickled:)...and thus 'not up to par' for some people.

though a 4-days in one city to play 2 albums a day would be quite special :lol:

Necromantic-Hiko said:
off topic, but...if you want to use your regular account via the laptop "alt+0197" creates the "Å" :tickled:
Yeah. But it's a bit annoying to do on a laptop, since you need to switch to numerical keyboard to enter in the numbers, and then switch back again.

What you also can do is to find a webpage/document/whatever, that has an "Å" and then use the cut and paste functions. Also annoying, but it works.

I've survived my trips to the US by using both those techniques. ;)

P.S. You lucky *****. I really hope Opeth will do something similar in Stockholm sometime in the future (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

Mr Samsara said:
I think we're more likely to have cars that run on H20 before there is no bitching and whining here... but i'll dream a little dream along with you.

:devil:

We do...okay not fully running on H20.

Great to hear that some rare songs were played live. I already lost some of my respect to the band due to their similar setlist at their latest tour. In Helsinki they played three times and the setlist was practically the same every night.

But its nice that there are some fresh surprise songs nowadays. Selecting songs like TAC, UAWM or TNASW in their setlist requires some major balls.
And I personally would have no problem if BRI will be played at Tuska metal festival next summer..

blimey said:
We do...okay not fully running on H20.

Um, no we dont. What car do you know that runs on water at all? It will never happen, there really isnt a feasible way of getting enough power out of water to power a car.

If I were Mikael, I would be really offended by this thread. I wouldnt admit it, but I bet he is really dissapointed about the response. This forum represents a large part of the dedicated fan base, and the majority of the most valued fans were dissapointed. I feel really bad for him, this show was fucking great, and they even played an encore that they didnt originally plan on. Even if it was Demon of the Fall (a usually played encore), it wasnt planned and they do such a good job on that song live. Now that they see the un-welcomed response on these forums, I bet Mikael regrets spending the extra 6 or 7 minutes playing DotF.

But he DID fuck up the Windowpane solo :D