off-topic..... football....

Wheezer said:
I couldn't believe that when I saw it. I've liked Peyton for quite a while. A QB calling out his OL is suicide. It's a good thing for him they don't have a game for a while so he can have some time to smooth things over. With their cap like it is and Manning shooting off his mouth they may be headed for an offseason implosion.
They're in big trouble anyway...Edge & Reggie Wayne are free agents now and they have other players (On the defense I believe) who are in the same boat....This was their best chance to get to the Bowl...Had everything the way they needed it....Got alot of "Homefield Calls" and a big break at the end and still couldn't deliver...Maybe Manning is a choke artist. I might start thinking of him like I did of this years Pats team...Until someone beat them I couldn't pick against them......Well until Manning wins a big game he's a choke artist who crumbles under pressure!!

Dodens Grav said:
The same thing was said about Jake Plummer too, but yeah, this does seem pretty peculiar. I mean, he's 3 and 6 in the playoffs now.
Good Point...I think it's all the hype that surrounds Peyton Manning that makes him an easy target though..And lets be honest, for all the talent we know he has (He's probably the most talented QB in the league) Lets face the facts put a little pressure on him and he caves in....At least Plummers problems were mostly bad decisions..Manning gets that look of panic & defeat on his face as early as the 1st Qtr (Last years AFC Championship vs. N.E.) I just don't think he's that mentally tough and if you get into his head early the guy falls apart...Jake on the other hand I don't believe ever lacks self confidence he was just making bad decisions....And if you really want to be fair about this I said Manning chokes in big games....How many "BIG" games did Jake play in Arizona??? One guy who's not choking for sure is
Berger!! I was crazy impressed with his whole game on Sunday (Right down to the game saving tackle) Will they be able to bring it into Mile High?? Time will tell..

T_man357 said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294214
Yeah the ref blew that int call but Porter might get a nice gift from the
League office tommorow for that comment rather he is right or wrong.
But what about that no call on Reggie Wayne in the end zone that should
have been interference on that too.

But I do.
And about the OL I have to agree with Mr Manning too did you see how many times Dallas Clark blew his
blocking assignments and Tarik Glenn was back to old bag of tricks in
leading the league in false starts this past weekend. I believe Reggie,
VanderYap(Mr. NFL superkicker couldn't even send his team to OT with
that godawful shank!) is gone I believe the Colts are going to do their best to keep
E. James or they will be a seriously mediocre team without him. But to
be fair the better team won Pittsburgh came out with an intensity that
they wanted it more and gave the colts an asswhippin in the first 3 quarters
and who knows if Nick Harper's basketcase of an old lady didn't stab him in
the leg it might have been a different story but should of could of doesn't mean a damn thing in football or in life in general all I have to say is Denver
you better look out! And damn well better be prepared!

KMADD said:
And about the OL I have to agree with Mr Manning too did you see how many times Dallas Clark blew his
blocking assignments and Tarik Glenn was back to old bag of tricks in
leading the league in false starts this past weekend.
Then maybe all the fans in Indy should've went whisper quiet so that poor lil Peytons snap count could be heard nice and clear....Give me a break!!! The Steeler "D" had them thinking too hard about the blitz!! Just like last years AFC Championship game he had that panic / defeated look as early as the 1st half. Every athlete who plays a team sport knows that you win as a team and you lose as a team!!! And him blaming his OL is as stupid and un professional as anything I've seen....Tom Brady had the same problems in Denver, the Bronco.s "D" Linemen and Safety John Lynch were in the Patriot backfield just about every other play...And you won't find any soundbite of him saying anything other than "We didn't play our best football" I guess that's the difference between a champion and a wannabe...Peyton Manning = :cry: :cry:

KMADD said:
I believe Reggie,
VanderYap(Mr. NFL superkicker couldn't even send his team to OT with
that godawful shank!) is gone.
Humor me for a minute..Not being a Colts fan I could be mistaken, But didn't "Vanderyap" have a perfect season a year or two ago??? Isn't he one of the most consistent kickers in the NFL?? If any of those statements are true he won't be out of work too long before another dome team comes a calling....If they decide to let Wayne go as well (Another bad idea) He'll get fast work...Who knows maybe in N.E.?!?!:D
KMADD said:
I believe the Colts are going to do their best to keep
E. James or they will be a seriously mediocre team without him..
They're a mediocre post season with him....I love the guy and they really can't afford to lose him...But you can guarantee he'll want top money..And it doesn't seem too long ago that all that talk about him signing with Miami was going on....You're gonna want to watch that situtation.
KMADD said:
But to
be fair the better team won Pittsburgh came out with an intensity that
they wanted it more and gave the colts an asswhippin in the first 3 quarters..
This is true....At least you're honest!!
KMADD said:
and who knows if Nick Harper's basketcase of an old lady didn't stab him in
the leg it might have been a different story..
I don't quite know how you arrived at that conclusion....He played his usual game, Face it...The Steelers mixed up their play on offense enough it threw the whole Indy "D" out of sync...It was crazy obvious in the 1st qtr especially that they weren't prepared to defend the passing game because they didn't think Pitt had much of one...And besides If he picked up the fumble and ran towards the sideline instead of the middle of the field Denver's on their way to Indy

KMADD said:
but should of could of doesn't mean a damn thing in football or in life in general all I have to say is Denver
you better look out! And damn well better be prepared!
I like this quote!!! Especially the life in general part...Do what you got to do today...So it doesn't become a what I should've / Could've done tommorow.

T_man357 said:
They're still a GREAT team dude....They underestimated their opponet and learned a costly lesson..Make no mistake about the fact that next year if a team wants to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl they'll still have to go through New England....So the haters can have their moment in the sun..It can't erase the fact that their still one of the top 3 teams in the NFL and will be back!!!!

There is no doubt The Pats will still be a team to deal with in the foreseeable future. I think Tom Brady learned a big lesson this year as well. At this point in time, I think he is the best QB in the league but he stepped out of his character against Denver. I am not blaming Brady for the loss as it is a team game and the better team on the field was clearly Denver, but Brady was fired up and emotional. That works great for many players (I would say most) but Brady is best when he is Captain Cool. Brady's cockiness kept him from being the player he is 99% of the time capable of being.
The same goes for Manning and The Colts. With about a minute to go, Manning put all of his eggs in one basket by trying a couple of deep passes instead of trying to move the chains and give his kicker a much easier field goal attempt if he weren't able to get into the end zone. Hindsight certainly is 20/20, but he has the best corpse of receivers in the game. had he went for a more conservative route, I might still be bitching about the horrible officiating in that game.

Bryant

Dodens Grav said:
The Steelers become the first sixth seed to not only topple the number one seed, but to advance to the Conference finals. Boy am I thrilled now; they almost got robbed on some bullshit calls and non-calls. Bettis didn't help their cause at the end there, but Roethlisberger saved the day. I'm glad everyone said that they couldn't do it though. The win just feels even better.

I agree on all points. The DL came up big as well. I will never forget seeing Big Casey (Hampton) trying to run down Manning and Kimo got a big sack as well. Most importantly, the DL kept the Indy OL's hands off of the blitzers very well. If they are able to duplicate the pressure they had on Manning this week, Plummer will be in for a long afternoon.

Bryant

T_man357 said:
His fumble didn't help...But his TD and 46 on the ground did...Don't be anti Bettis...He's done alot for The Steelers over the years and will be a big part of next weeks game!!! Bergers open field tackle (basically one handed) was awesome!!! And taking Polamalu's INT from him was horrible...My personal highlight was Joey's Porters sacks!! way to get after Manning!!

I don't see Pittsburgh getting past Denver next week....But almost everyone didn't see them getting past Indy so all bets are off..

Absolutely about all of the above, but especially Bettis. He is easily a HOF player. I am so happy for him (not just for me as a fan and for the team) because he is truly one of the classiest people ever to put on a football uniform. I would have hated to see him leave the game with that being his last play, especially considering he is very sure handed.
As far as Pittsburgh beating Denver...... I honestly call it a draw. I am certainly biased as a Steeler fan, but if The Steelers can duplicate that defense they played against Indy..... it will be tough for whoever they play. You can't outcoach Shan, though. I will be surprised if the difference in the game is more than one score barring a bunch of turnovers.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I will be surprised if the difference in the game is more than one score barring a bunch of turnovers.

Bryant
My reasoning for picking the Bronco's to win...Other than it's damn near impossible to win in Mile High is this.....Both defenses are really tough and practically mirror each other meaning moving the ball won't be easy for either team and if it comes down to kickers....Elam is better than everyone (Vinateri included) in the NFL if he's kicking in Mile High!! Don't be surprised if he wins it for them.

Bryant said:
There is no doubt The Pats will still be a team to deal with in the foreseeable future. I think Tom Brady learned a big lesson this year as well. At this point in time, I think he is the best QB in the league but he stepped out of his character against Denver. I am not blaming Brady for the loss as it is a team game and the better team on the field was clearly Denver, but Brady was fired up and emotional. That works great for many players (I would say most) but Brady is best when he is Captain Cool. Brady's cockiness kept him from being the player he is.
Bryant
I'm not blaming Brady either...But as team leader he should've stayed cool and not let his emotions get the best of him....But the possibility of being the 1st team to win 3 consecutive Super Bowls might've influenced his attitude...

As happy as I am for Wheezer that the Bronco's are moving foward (And though sad for The Pats my 2nd favorite AFC Team is Denver) I'm equally happy for you Steelers fans!! They won a game that NOBODY had them winning!! And like some of us have said in recent posts I'm extremely happy for Jerome Bettis!! I don't know of a better guy in the NFL...

T_man357 said:
You let a guy act like an ass and pretend he runs the team and this is what happens....

That has only 10% to do with Manning and 90% to do with Dungy. I love the guy (Dungy) and think he is a class act, but the boss of the team is the head coach. As a head coach, you want a QB that wants to take control and lead his team to a degree, but you can't allow him to have practically total control. If Ben Roethlisberger would have waved the punt team off on a 4th and 2 like Peyton did (although it worked,) Bill would have called a time-out, inserted the punt team and his jaw would have grown three inches longer while he spit and cursed at Ben for disobeying what he said for the remainder of the game while Charlie Batch ran the offense.
As a head coach, I think you can be "friends" with your players, but there has to be a line drawn as well. Manning needs a good ass chewing for his comments and decisions and it needs to come directly from Dungy.

Bryant

T_man357 said:
They're in big trouble anyway...Edge & Reggie Wayne are free agents now and they have other players (On the defense I believe) who are in the same boat....!!

I know I am changing the subject, but I didn't realize how fast Dallas Clark is. man that guy has some serious speed for a TE.

Bryant

T_man357 said:

Joey Porter has a big mouth and isn't a representative of The Steeler team as a whole. At the same time, The Steelers, much like The Raiders in years past do have a mystique and a toughness about them. Cowher allows Joey to say those things, even though he won't back them up to keep that "tough guy" image alive and well for the team. It isn't just about image, but intimidation. Football is a psychological game as well as a physical one. Before the Indy game, Porter called out The Colts to play "physical football" not "finesse and thinking football."
Porter didn't fly to Peyton Manning's house and kick his ass before the game, he played "thinking" football himself. Psychologically, I think The Steelers have an edge against Denver making it so far as a number 6 seed and beating the shit out of the Colts in every respect less the scoreboard.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Joey Porter has a big mouth and isn't a representative of The Steeler team as a whole. At the same time, The Steelers, much like The Raiders in years past do have a mystique and a toughness about them. Cowher allows Joey to say those things, even though he won't back them up to keep that "tough guy" image alive and well for the team.
I don't understand the whole "Won't back them up" comment...I think when he's healthy he is probably one of the top 5 linebackers in the NFL!!
And I also don't know how psychological he is either...I believe he meant those things he said and probably would fly out to put a beating on Manning if he could get away with it!! Manning is not a thinking mans QB and I don't put alot of value on his QB smarts..He's a system guy who can't really improvise (IMO)...But back to Porter, I'd take him in N.E. in a second!! And I'm sure Belichick feels the same way.

I still like The Bronco's on Sunday! It's just about midnight for Cinderella and Mile High is the curse..

Hawk said:
I don't know shit about US footbal but it a lot of fun to see how much you guys are enjoying it! :headbang:

I have always been a brother to people from other parts of the world because they have awesome things to offer. Asia has the most beautiful women, Europe has the best beer, Australia has the coolest animals etc. etc. One thing America has is the best sport in the world. Obviously I am biased, but I honestly think that there is no sport in the world that combines athleticism and intillect to the degree American Football does. Join us in our fanaticism and start watching some American football. It took me about five years to get a grasp of it myself, but then again I am a little slow at some things.. :erk:

bryant

T_man357 said:
I don't understand the whole "Won't back them up" comment...I think when he's healthy he is probably one of the top 5 linebackers in the NFL!!

Don't take that the wrong way T. Porter (and Hampton) are the leaders of the defense. As great as Polamalu is, he is actually a quiet type when not on the field. When I said "back him up" I meant, The Steelers and Cowher would never add to his comments. They allow him to say what he wants to and supports him as a team, but not in the media. They have ONE vocal leader and that is Porter now that Flowers is not in the picture. The Steelers have a system. It has kept them competitive for many years. Hopefully it will merit a championship soon.

Bryant