Official "Sports" thread

I'm hoping Ghana will win! They should be able to beat Uruguay, it'd be interesting to see them play against The Orange Team.

Right now? A Ghana vs. Netherlands match would be my favorite match of all. I would spend the entire game in a state of complete bliss.

But that would require Netherlands beating Brazil, which, uhm, not very likely at this juncture. But I could see Ghana beating Uruguay.

I hope Uruguay wins. One thing I don't like about the final teams is that with the exception of Uruguay, they're all epic, unabashed divers. That red card that went against Portugal... I mean, I hope the referee never refs again. It's kinda stupid that it's such an integral part of soccer. It's one reason the sport isn't popular here. The only sport where there's even some flopping is in basketball, and it's harder to pull off because the court is not very big. You should see the reaction of crowds here when people dive, no matter the team. Collective groans.

Well the Portuguese guy did hit the Spanish one with his elbow, so the card was more-than deserved.

Right now? A Ghana vs. Netherlands match would be my favorite match of all. I would spend the entire game in a state of complete bliss.

But that would require Netherlands beating Brazil, which, uhm, not very likely at this juncture. But I could see Ghana beating Uruguay.

Yeah, that'd be a great game! TN will beat Brasil, so no worries about that ;) . Yeah, Ghana can easily beat Uruguay IMO.

Well the Portuguese guy did hit the Spanish one with his elbow, so the card was more-than deserved.

Yeah, that'd be a great game! TN will beat Brasil, so no worries about that ;) . Yeah, Ghana can easily beat Uruguay IMO.

So, I don't know which dimension *you're* living in, but Uruguay is definitely favored to win that game. Also, The Netherlands have not played nearly as well as Brazil. I think that Brazil can and probably will beat the Netherlands, despite me cheering for them.

I wouldn't be too sure about that :Smug:

:p Perhaps.

So, I don't know which dimension *you're* living in, but Uruguay is definitely favored to win that game. Also, The Netherlands have not played nearly as well as Brazil. I think that Brazil can and probably will beat the Netherlands, despite me cheering for them.

Hey Uruguay can be a favourite, but Ghana has good chances of winning. And please stop your not-so-nice comments, I can root for whatever team I want. I know you're mad because the US got eliminated, but it wasn't my fault. Or maybe it was… o_O .

Hey Uruguay can be a favourite, but Ghana has good chances of winning. And please stop your not-so-nice comments, I can root for whatever team I want. I know you're mad because the US got eliminated, but it wasn't my fault. Or maybe it was… o_O .

Guys! Guys! This is just the World Cup! Let us save our anger and vitriol for when we are discussing truly important topics, like Andreas' favorite color!

:popcorn:

Guys! Guys! This is just the World Cup! Let us save our anger and vitriol for when we are discussing truly important topics, like Andreas' favorite color!

:popcorn:

But… but… he started it! Hehe.

:p yes, Andrea's favourite colour is a much more important topic (I'm not being sarcastic). Now, I seriously wonder which is his favourite one. My guess? Green or white.

But… but… he started it! Hehe.

:p yes, Andrea's favourite colour is a much more important topic (I'm not being sarcastic). Now, I seriously wonder which is his favourite one. My guess? Green or white.

I can see him really enjoying mauve, for some reason.

you guys are crazy!!!! :lol:
i vote for green or black! but also violet could be a good candidate :p

... Not nice comments? Dude, you haven't seen not nice comments if you think that me telling you you're living in an alternate universe if you think that Ghana are favorites in that match is not nice. If a favorite in a match is defined as the team who has a general concensus behind them to win (that is, the media, etc., thinks they're going to win), then I have yet to see anyone who thinks that Ghana is the favorite.

That said: I think Ghana could win, they're just definitely not favorites at this point. What's good about the Ghana team is that they play great defense (as demonstrated by the Germany game), which is something that Uruguay doesn't do. On the other hand, Uruguay has two of the best attacking players we've seen in the World Cup in the Forlán / Suarez duo. Ghana didn't score a single goal in normal play in the group stage (i.e., two penalty kicks). I just can't imagine them being favorites.

Also, unless the Netherlands shows better stuff in the game against Brazil they won't beat Brazil. Their back 4 isn't very good compared to Brazil's very good back 4 and super attacking force. Brazil looks like the only championship quality team we've seen aside from maybe Argentina, but I'm still not a true believer there yet.

... Not nice comments? Dude, you haven't seen not nice comments if you think that me telling you you're living in an alternate universe if you think that Ghana are favorites in that match is not nice. If a favorite in a match is defined as the team who has a general concensus behind them to win (that is, the media, etc., thinks they're going to win), then I have yet to see anyone who thinks that Ghana is the favorite.

That said: I think Ghana could win, they're just definitely not favorites at this point. What's good about the Ghana team is that they play great defense (as demonstrated by the Germany game), which is something that Uruguay doesn't do. On the other hand, Uruguay has two of the best attacking players we've seen in the World Cup in the Forlán / Suarez duo. Ghana didn't score a single goal in normal play in the group stage (i.e., two penalty kicks). I just can't imagine them being favorites.

Also, unless the Netherlands shows better stuff in the game against Brazil they won't beat Brazil. Their back 4 isn't very good compared to Brazil's very good back 4 and super attacking force. Brazil looks like the only championship quality team we've seen aside from maybe Argentina, but I'm still not a true believer there yet.

I still think the Netherlands will do fine. That last game would have been 2-0 if not for that LITERALLY last second penalty kick. They've taken care of business, kinda like Brazil after their sluggish opener against North Korea.

I think what it comes down to when you compare teams like Brazil-Holland-Germany-Argentina-Spain is what kind of mistakes they'll make in the remaining games. All of them have comparable defenses (Spanish and Dutch defenses have played the weakest of those five). Ultimately Brazil, Germany and Argentina are the teams with sufficient talent to win who are playing good enough to win it all. Maybe the Spanish and Dutch will enter that equation this time around, but history says this won't be the case. Although, the Dutch have been really steady, so maybe this is their year...

Despite who wins and who loses tomorrow, I cannot *wait* to have a leisurely morning of just chilling in one of my favorite coffee shops, eating scones and sipping on lattes, and watching football. It will be a grand day. I already set my alarm to 6am so that I'll get there in time.

To be honest I didn't understand what you wrote in the 1st paragraph, but never mind.

As Naglfar said, I think TN can win! Go Orange, may your team shine brightly tomorrow! Netherlands, Netherlands!

If Ghana has a good defence tomorrow they'll certainly win the match.

The Netherlands vs Ghana would be really nice!

And…

ARGENTINA SHALL FALL UNDER THE GERMANIC POWER!!!

Chile is not playing anymore.....but my girl is from Argentina, so now i have to root for Argentina :p.....
Germany will lost against Argentina! ( i hope ) :p

To be honest I didn't understand what you wrote in the 1st paragraph, but never mind.

As Naglfar said, I think TN can win! Go Orange, may your team shine brightly tomorrow! Netherlands, Netherlands!

If Ghana has a good defence tomorrow they'll certainly win the match.

The Netherlands vs Ghana would be really nice!

And…
ARGENTINA SHALL FALL UNDER THE GERMANIC POWER!!!

In essence I was saying: I was contradicting whether or not someone was the favorite, not whether or not you're allowed to cheer for who you want.

Aaand, I hope Argentina loses to Germany. Actually, I have trouble saying. But yeah, after the Mexico game I'd rather that Germany won. Still, I'm not entirely confident in the German team at this point.

But today: I cheer for NL. Hup Holland! :hotjump:

BRASIL IS OUT!!!!! THE NETHERLANDS CONTINUE!!!!

See? What did I tell you? I knew they were going to win!!! :headbang::kickass::hotjump::worship:

All I can say to Brasil is:

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

:loco:

In essence I was saying: I was contradicting whether or not someone was the favorite, not whether or not you're allowed to cheer for who you want.

Ah Ok no problemo.