Official "Sports" thread

Oh. My. God.

That was worth dragging my butt out of bed at 6:15 am to go watch at the local coffee shop!! What an excellent match! Now to take a nap before the other one!

GO NETHERLANDS! Now I'll have to touch up my orange nail polish before their next match!

Oh man, so pleased over here. There is now, according to fivethirtyeight a 57% chance that a new team who has never won the World Cup before will win this year! I'm really hoping that will be the case. Let's call it "Upset Cup 2010". Just so pleased. Sure, NL is big in international football, but they've never won. This is as good a year as any.

And Twitter went kaput. It's been down for almost an hour. Hahaha, yay World Cup!

And Suárez is a hero. Intentionally gets a red card to keep the ball out of the goal, Gyan misses the penalty kick and they win in the shoot out. Wow, wasn't really keen on either team to win, but I gotta say it's hard not to feel bad for 'em.

Now that's what you call "take one for the team" :)

I can't believe we actually beat Brazil... that was impressive, I think Uruguay doesn't stand a chance against us in the semi-finals.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

We did it! :D The first half I was a bit worried but I had trust we would beat Brazil in the end. And we fuckin did!!! :D Great match to watch!

YEAHHHH!

Haha Brazil manager has already been fired. :lol:

:lol: Dunga? Seriously? Hahahahaha!

On Ghana:

I'm so bloody mad, I hope Juarez knows that he will have to face my wrath! :)p.). But seriously, Ghana deserved to win, they were a much better team in general. But they shoot penalty kicks like pussies, did you see the ones they missed? The kick was so puny even I could've caught that. Ah bollocks.

I can't believe we actually beat Brazil... that was impressive, I think Uruguay doesn't stand a chance against us in the semi-finals.

True, Uruguay doesn't stand one little tiny chance. I hope TN kick their ass so bad that they wished they'd lost against Ghana.

So now…

DEUTSCHLAND, DEUTSCHLAND, DEUTSCHLAND, DEUTSCHLAND!

I can now foresee a Nederlanden vs Deutschland final!

I'm so bloody mad, I hope Juarez knows that he will have to face my wrath! :)p.). But seriously, Ghana deserved to win, they were a much better team in general.!

lol you're stubborn, you keep saying that when it's not true. forlán was the most talented player on the field by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. uruguay had a better team. ghana didn't even really play better, uruguay completely dominated the first half of the game. they played well, but not being able to finish on so many chances... a better team would have put uruguay away.

and fyi that red card was like the defensive play of the tournament. his team lives to fight another day, and if they beat the dutch, he gets to play in the cup final

lol you're stubborn, you keep saying that when it's not true. forlán was the most talented player on the field by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. uruguay had a better team. ghana didn't even really play better, uruguay completely dominated the first half of the game. they played well, but not being able to finish on so many chances... a better team would have put uruguay away.

and fyi that red card was like the defensive play of the tournament. his team lives to fight another day, and if they beat the dutch, he gets to play in the cup final

I'm sad about the Ghana loss, but if this means that I can see more of Diego Forlán being all awesome and gorgeous and cute and all, then I really have no complaints.

Because, seriously - I could look at that man's hair all day.

But, I digress - because we have tomorrow's matches!!

Argentina vs. Germany - 3 Jul 10:00am (ET) on ABC
Paraguay vs. Spain - 3 Jul 2:30pm (ET) on ABC

And yes. I set my alarm clock now to 5:45 am, so I can get to the coffee shop and actually secure a seat, because I know that Argentina vs. Germany is going to be PACKED. (I'm skipping Paraguay vs. Span, as I then have a funeral to go to. Then a birthday party. At least I slept all day, so I won't fall over tomorrow.) (Oh, and Go Argentina.)

:lol: I am quite stubborn, it drives my girl insane :p . Yes, Uruguay dominated the 1H, but I only saw part of the 2nd one and the extra ones, in which Ghana was much better. Ahhh I'm sad that Ghana lost, but Uruguay will certainly lose against the over-whelming Dutch power.

Deutschland, Deutschland! :headbang:

Dunga? Seriously? Hahahahaha!
Not quite, he resigned, but he would've probably been fired.

On Ghana:

I'm so bloody mad, I hope Suárez knows that he will have to face my wrath! :)p.). But seriously, Ghana deserved to win, they were a much better team in general. But they shoot penalty kicks like pussies, did you see the ones they missed? The kick was so puny even I could've caught that. Ah bollocks.
Yeah, Ghana controlled much of that game, surprisingly enough. Though, honestly, if they didn't have Kingson they would be fucked. I have to say of all the players on that team, he is the one who really distinguished himself in this competition. World class keeper, no doubt about it.

Petulant Prince Boateng, on the other hand, should scuttle back to wherever he came from (which, incidentally, is Germany—where he elected to defect to Ghana because he wasn't good enough for the German team. Pussy.). He may well be the only player that I like less than Christiano Ronaldo.

I found that I felt bad for Ghana in spite of everything. I had been pretty much set on watching them go out and enjoying it because of the way they had played in overtime against the US (i.e., petulantly), but in the face of that I just couldn't hate them. It was a heart-breaking ending and about the only thing that actually silenced the vuvuzelas: and that's saying something. It would've been heart warming to see Ghana get pounded into the dust by the Dutch as well, but at least then they would've made it to the final four.

That game was Ghana's to win and they choked. Uruguay deserved to go on (despite being also pretty annoying).

[quote="Naglfar]uruguay completely dominated the first half of the game. they played well, but not being able to finish on so many chances... a better team would have put uruguay away.

and fyi that red card was like the defensive play of the tournament. his team lives to fight another day, and if they beat the dutch, he gets to play in the cup final[/quote]
Yeah, Diego Forlán was a pimp in that game. He was really, really good. But I disagree with you saying that they completely dominated the first half. After about 20-25 minutes of being denied by Kingson they really started playing poorly and Ghana got back into the game and was really taking control. Good sections of the second half were like that as well. I thought that game was pretty even if Uruguay was probably the better team in the long run. Ghana distinguished themselves with fantastic defensive play against two of the best attackers in the competition: Forlán and Suárez.

As for the red card: it was beautiful. Had they lost he would've been a goat, but because they won he's a fucking hero. That said, being out their arguably best player against the Dutch is going to be a nightmare for them, I think.

So in an argument I had with a moron on the TV4 facebook a week and a half ago I said "Argentina had a soft group (Nigeria, Greece and S. Korea). They have a great front but completely untested defense and if anyone can play strong defense against them, they're toast." Now, in order to not anger insane fans who will look me up in Sweden's ridiculously easy to use person-finding homepages and get bombed let me say: VAD VAR DET JAG SA!? (TOLD YOU SO!)

You're so right about that!!:devil:

A Nederland vs Deutschland final would be very interesting!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ich hab's doch gewusst! It was so obvious but wow, I never expected so much of an ass-kicking to Argentina! :yow:

:wave: Maradona, you deserve it!

I can't really say that Argentina played lousily because they really didn't, there were moments in which they were attacking a lot. But, if you don't have a defence…, then there's not much you can do against the onslaught of attacks of the other team.

YEAH!!!! :dopey::tickled::headbang::kickass:

A Deutschland vs España game will also be very entertaining. Let's see how España does against Uruguay, but I expect the first to win without problems.

A Nederland vs Deutschland final would be very interesting!

I can't really say that Argentina played lousily because they really didn't, there were moments in which they were attacking a lot. But, if you don't have a defence…, then there's not much you can do against the onslaught of attacks of the other team.

They played poorly from behind, they couldn't break Germany's defense and they had no defense.

Not to repeat myself too many times I wonder if Germany's win means a championship in the end. Here's why: Australia—weak; England—Poooor, just really poor; Argentina—blown up because of a weak group (NGA, KOR, GRE) and a great attacking group up front, but never had their defense tested and never played from behind. Remember that Argentina had gotten pounded 6-1 by Bolivia in qualification. I wasn't sure before the game that Germany could stand up to their attacking football, but let's face it: well-disciplined German side with good counterattacks and great passing and Argentina played like Australia... literally.

I think the Netherlands had a much bigger challenge in Brazil yesterday and while I dare not predict: let's just say that Germany hasn't completely convinced me yet. Of course, I may also be biased because I'm cheering for the Netherlands, but everything I said up to that point is entirely based in reality not preference. :Spin:

Wow what a match! I hadn't ever dreamt of something like this. People here are just freaking out now :D
Argentine played quite well, though. Especially in the first 20 minutes of the second half. My inner eye was seeing the counter goal being made. The game would have changed into a completely differnt direction. But it didn't happen and I'm just very glad and happy! :D

The Netherlands were awesome yesterday as well. I really rooted for them. I'm dreaming of a final Netherlands - Germany :)

Argentina's group wasn't that weak... Nigeria and South Korea are not top teams but they are pretty decent. There was no group of death this world cup. Also, Argentina had won all their games. You will have to play very well to do that at a World Cup level. England's team was not weak, just a mess. You can make this argument for every team except the Netherlands.

For example, Spain's played no one, and even lost to Switzerland. They beat a really anemic Portuguese team that hadn't scored a goal against anyone but North Korea. Uruguay's group was laughable, and they barely got past Ghana.

All in all, Argentina was playing better than anyone not Germany or the Netherlands. So I think Germany's win was quite impressive. Argentina has a hugely talented, highly motivated and wretchedly coached team. I think the problem, in the end, was tactics. Germany's goals were all so pretty and came from slicing up Argentina's defense. Romero couldn't have stopped any of those goals.

When it comes down to it, the finals will probably be orange vs black. I mean, Spain could make it, too, but I'll believe that when I see it. Spain is synonymous with epic choke.