Old School Metal Head Influences....

It's a tough vocal style to get into or maybe people that visted the old school forum are getting old:p.

Hmm lets see? Old? I am 51. Among my favorite bands are Necrophagist, Centaurus A, Old Soilwork, Immortal, Melechesh, Absu, Gorod and Elite.

Prejudice anyone? ;) :headbang:

What funny is that on the GMD borad almost all of the people like the extreme metal but the old school thread don't like it.I think the classics of black metal and death metal should also be talk about on this borad too.

The GMD board seems to be almost exclusively back/death metal threads. Doesn't need to be the focus of this board also.

I am not talking about you and a few other but the other people on this site.

Like JD said that harsh and unfair to people here (regulars, non-regulars and newbies). Just because I don't like DM or BM doesn't mean people can't discuss it here, as long as they do it following the rules.

I was a fan of Cannibal Corpse until their fifth album, I had "Suomi Finland Perkele" by Impaled Nazarene, and I had my good dose of Sepultura, Death, Obituary, Transmetal, Entombed, Morbid Angel, Mortification, Gorefest and even old grind: Napalm Death and Carcass for awhile. It just didn't fill my expectations so I left those sub-genres behind, but hey it's just me.

So to all people, and I know Hawk will be the first to back this up. This forum IT IS OPEN to discuss any old school sub-genre of metal/rock (hard, heavy, traditional, classic, doom, power, thrash, speed, progressive, death, black, industrial, glam, and mixtures or mixes of these sub-genres or any other I may have forgot).

It's also up to the people to join or not a thread and post , hope this settles the doubts :)

^I know this forum is not discussing stuff like Behemoth but I think the classic stuff like Death should be talk about on here.

That may be so, but it's also because few here (from my understanding) actually listen to Behemoth. I don't.

Many listen to new bands though - It seems like maybe 1/3 of us went to PPUSA and it was loaded with new bands. It's just most had an "older" sound.

I like someone else said: "where to begin?" I'm 38 and was hooked young,growing up in new york being exposed to all kinds of things young. sabbath kiss zep nuge ac/dc,later on priest maiden ozzy.the list is pretty much endless.heavier stuff as the 80's wore on metallica slayer etc.eventually leading to N.Y.H.C.'s 2nd wave pretty much at it's inseption(85-93). very metallic sounding stuff w/ a crossover/thrash sound.all of which I still listen to and love to this day.

51 and cooler than most "Young" people :worship:

Thanks buddy. The reason I could not stay away here was because I had the feeling that most of the people here were a lot more cooler then me. Goes to show... ;)

Were the hell is ElectricWiz? He's into the heavy shit just like me! Ha ha.:headbang:

Thanks buddy. The reason I could not stay away here was because I had the feeling that most of the people here were a lot more cooler then me.
Oh no, no one here is cooler than you, trust me :kickass:

Thanks buddy. The reason I could not stay away here was because I had the feeling that most of the people here were a lot more cooler then me. Goes to show... ;)

Were the hell is ElectricWiz? He's into the heavy shit just like me! Ha ha.:headbang:

I know Thoth-Amon posted on the old school thread sometimes and he into Black and Death metal and also the biggest classical music fan on this forum :kickass:

Growing up it was Elvis and The Beatles but it was Led Zeppelin & Quiet Riot in 1983 that sealed the deal. From there, I got into Maiden via TNOB/POM, Priest (SWOD, SAS, SFV), Sabbath (Born Again, H&H, Paranoid), Robert Palnt, Deep Purple (PS, Fireball, In Rock, Machine Head, Burn), Triumph (Allied Forces & Never Surrender), Van Halen, Y&T, Motely Crue, Ratt etc. Saw Metal spilt into deeper and deeper categories in 1986 when Bon Jovi and Metallica just exploded. I remember the second half the 80's listening to a lot of Helloween, Uriah Heep, Fates Warning, Queensryche and pre-84 Whitesnake.

I never left metal in the 90's. Maiden, Dio, Priest and Sab (until 1995) were putting out pretty good records. Thought Pantera were pretty good and hair/glam/pseudo blues bands had their moments. Was sad when Badlands didn't break out and their first 2 were mindblowingly classic. Dream Theater also put out 3 classic albums during that decade. As for Grunge. Yep it happened but everyone wants something to call their own. I was listening to Soundgarden in 1989 and bought Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam releases in the first week. It was a changing of the guard I guess. Sepultura and their ilk were also popular but prefer modern Sepultura.

Never got into the NU stuff but do listen in very minor amounts Death, Melodeath & Black. Stuff like Dark Tranquillity, Nile, Opeth (I'm not sure what genre they are in now) etc.

The second half of the 00's have been pretty good to me. Meeting Judas Priest twice (Japan & Vancouver), seeing H&H 3 times, seeing Voivod live, seeing Priest 3 times in 1 year, being onstage with Iron Maiden for HCW in front of 10000 people, gushing to Ian Gillan about how brilliant the Born Again album was, seeing Y&T twice at the Fillmore in SF, meeting Jon Oliva, Zak Stevens, Kai Hansen and Wade Black.

I could write a short novella on my love of metal but the abbreviation above will have to suffice. :headbang:

If that is not old shool to the core, they I don't know what :headbang:. Those were the times...

I agree... :headbang:
I'm not an old geezer like the most of those who replied in this topic since I'm 31, but the tapes really marked my adolescent days...

I was about 12 or 13 when I heard "Can I Play With Madness" on Super Channel and then a classmate of mine told me his neigbor was a metalhead and apparently had a large metal vinyl collection. So I asked him if I could bring him a few blank tapes for him to record me some of the stuff he'd want me to hear and what I got was Maiden's Killers with first five songs off Manowar's "Battle Hymn" to fill the 60min tape, TNOTB with the first 4-5 "Peace of Mind" songs as fillers, and one 90min tape with "South Of Heaven" and "Master of Puppets".
When I popped those in my cassette player I was like WTF IS THIS o_O but in the most positive way, and I was soon spinning those on a daily basis all day long. I again brought my classmate a few tapes for him to record me and those were my beginnings in metal...
That was about 1991. and the ongoing war was about to reach full scale those days... It was difficult to obtain metal during 80s in ex Yugoslavia (except for a few licensed albums by Maiden, Metallica, WASP and some others) and so it was in 1991 especially for a kid just getting into the heavy music and virtually not knowing anyone into it.

I can only say that even though the mp3 age has made it easier for us to find new music and (re)discover old bands it also lowers the value of an album... I remember I was happy as a pig in the mud when I obtained a new metal album to listen to, no matter how bad the recording (and trust me, I had a few virtually unlistenable, but that didn't keep me from spinning them daily)... Today we're on a different end of the scope - millions of artists and albums, all of them available in a few minutes in CD quality. Just for that reason I wish it all stayed with the LPs and tapes cause they had more value and meant more to the people.

Hmmm...... the first bands that got me interested in heavy guitar based music were radio rock bands like Foreigner, Kansas and Styx, but mostly it was Boston and I still love them today. Things changed in 1980 at the tender age of 12 when I first heard AC/DC "Back in Black." After that, I went down the metal path. The transformation was complete in 1985 when Accept released "Metal Heart." They became my favorite band. In 1997, I accidentally happened upon "The God Thing" by Vanden Plas. They became my favorite current band.

Bryant

In the beginning I did listen to Zeppelin and Hendrix and stuff like that and when I heard Metallica there was no turning back! I was now into metal! And when I heard My Dying Bride I was so into death metal! My all time favorite is Morbid Angel and I almost only listen to death metal to day :)

In the beginning I did listen to Zeppelin and Hendrix and stuff like that and when I heard Metallica there was no turning back! I was now into metal! And when I heard My Dying Bride I was so into death metal! My all time favorite is Morbid Angel and I almost only listen to death metal to day :)

Do you still listen to the other stuff you listen to before you like death metal?