One more for the early birds....

Spike

Blinded By The Light...
Jul 15, 2001
Australia
This ones also partially related to another thread, but extrapolates on the original question:

From what was your first Opeth experience, and how did it affect the way you appeciate/d their music?

As I've said said my first Opeth experience was through Mornigrise in 95/96, the latest album at the time. It was also one of my first experiences of metal outside the 'cookie cutter'/ 'mainstream' bands (ie: Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera).

I fell in love with this album immediately, and it opened up my eyes to the possiblities inherent in the metal genre. Basically it fully-ignited my interest in heavy metal music, as before I was just a casual, disintrested listener. It seemed to me to be a varied, yet perfectly balanced album. The only initial problem I had was with Black Rose Immortal, being too long while being considered as a single song. Anyway, I immediately went looking for other releases by Opeth and stumbled upon Orchid, which I 'convinced' my brother to buy (he didn't need much convincing).

Other than that I've been following there progression through all the later albums, and my appreciation of their talent has increased with each release, primarily I believe because I didn't recieve them all in 'one hit'.

I'd like to know how other people who picked Still Life and BWP as their first album grew to like the band.

Anyways, need sleep now. So will leave this to those who are interested to fill in the blanks.

Bleak was my first Opeth experience.

No long-winded response here - it was honestly a musical revelation. Never had I heard a metal composition such as Opeth. The only metal in the past that I had ever heard that I considered compostitions were Savatage (Gutter Ballet) and Dream Theater, and they weren't my favorites. Bleak didn't throw a glancing blow - it was a knockout punch. I bought the entire Opeth catalogue a couple of weeks later.

Since Opeth - I have found myself searcing more than in the past 10 years for good metal. I just listened to the radio, and didn't work that hard at it. I now spend at least 1/2 hour per day searching for new music.

Thank-you Opeth.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Bleak was my first Opeth experience.

No long-winded response here - it was honestly a musical revelation. Never had I heard a metal composition such as Opeth. The only metal in the past that I had ever heard that I considered compostitions were Savatage (Gutter Ballet) and Dream Theater, and they weren't my favorites. Bleak didn't throw a glancing blow - it was a knockout punch. I bought the entire Opeth catalogue a couple of weeks later.

Since Opeth - I have found myself searcing more than in the past 10 years for good metal. I just listeined to the radio, and didn't work that hard at it. I now spend at least 1/2 hour per day searching for new music.

Thank-you Opeth.

yea, bleak was the first song i heard, i then downloaded the whole of blackwater park, when i saw it a store i immediately bought it...then i d/led all their other albums...and after lookiing for ages, i found a shop that sells opeth cd's and other deatha nd black metal, i'll soon have their whole colelction

i first heard opeth when i was in england last march. i'd bought a copy of an issue of kerrang and it came with a cd, the devils music volume 3, the second last track on it was the edited version of the drappery fall. at first i didn't really like since it was all accoustic and somewhat boring but after a few listens i just fell in love with the song. a week or so went by and was finally at home so i checked out some more of there stuff. now they've become one of my favorite band and have also been helpful in finding other great bands like katatonia.

I first heard them when Still Life came out in autumn '99. I ordered the album without having listened to a single Opeth song before (napster didn't exist or had extremely few users at that time, I guess I didn't even know it). But I didn't regret it, I listened to the album from the beginning to the end and I was shocked when I heard these long compositions because they were even longer than those of my favourite band My Dying Bride. I bought the other 3 albums a year later when the re-issues had just come out. :) It took almost half a year until I fully absobed Orchid, Morningrise & MAYH. :eek:

Originally posted by Spike
This ones also partially related to another thread, but extrapolates on the original question:

From what was your first Opeth experience, and how did it affect the way you appeciate/d their music?

As I've said said my first Opeth experience was through Mornigrise in 95/96, the latest album at the time. It was also one of my first experiences of metal outside the 'cookie cutter'/ 'mainstream' bands (ie: Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera).

I fell in love with this album immediately, and it opened up my eyes to the possiblities inherent in the metal genre. Basically it fully-ignited my interest in heavy metal music, as before I was just a casual, disintrested listener. It seemed to me to be a varied, yet perfectly balanced album. The only initial problem I had was with Black Rose Immortal, being too long while being considered as a single song. Anyway, I immediately went looking for other releases by Opeth and stumbled upon Orchid, which I 'convinced' my brother to buy (he didn't need much convincing).

Other than that I've been following there progression through all the later albums, and my appreciation of their talent has increased with each release, primarily I believe because I didn't recieve them all in 'one hit'.

I'd like to know how other people who picked Still Life and BWP as their first album grew to like the band.

Anyways, need sleep now. So will leave this to those who are interested to fill in the blanks.

since bwp was my first opeth album and i then still life, i only listen to morningrise once in a while and i rarely listen orchid

i fell in love with bwp so now i don't pay much attention to their earlier stuff....i do appreciate how good morningrise and orchid are but i just love bwp, mayh and still life

my first opeth album was blackwater park, which i became entranced with. for three weeks, it was the only cd i listened to, unyil i got the rest of the opeth albums. i appreciate them all, i seriously don't think i could pick a favorite, having taken opeth in so fast. but i think opeth in general has helped me appreciate music more and even check into bands i wouldn't have ever looked into before. i don't know what i'd do without my maudlin of the well albums, dark tranquility, green carnation, or the coulntless bands that became known to me through stumbling upon opeth.

I'll have to admit I'm quite surprised to find that the majority of Opehtians hoped on board during the last 2 albums (SL and BWP), especially people like Papa'O:eek: .

I'll have to admit that the only Opeth album that I don't truly appreciate is Orchid seeing as I had to go backwards after having picked up morningrise for. Because this was sort of a backward progression for me, Orchid has always come across for me as being rather 'raw'. I still consider it to have individually brilliant songs, like all the Opeth albums, but the album in it's entirety doesn't seem to fit well with me.

It would appear that those who started with Opeth 'later on in the piece' also have similar problems with relating with earlier albums.

I'd have to say then that I'm glad that I found Opeth so early on in their progression, I couldn't handle only having 2 albums that I really, REALLY liked.:cry:

First opeth song i ever heard was Leper Affinity. I got the album right away, completely enjoyed it. Then i got still life. liked that even more. heres my rankings for the albums... for now...

1 - Still life
2 - Blackwater Park, Morningrise, MAYH (ALL TIED)
3 - Orchid