The best song from Blackwater Park

The best track from Blackwater Park is...

• The Leper Affinity

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Bleak

Votes: 38 24.5%
  • Harvest

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • The Drapery Falls

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • Dirge for November

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • The Funeral Portrait

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Patterns in the Ivy

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
It´s BWP itself. The riffs are so destructive. The song also posesses some of the coolest calm parts. This is like a journey...
The Moor has same kind effect although it´s a lot different song.

I would have to say the title track. They are all great but that has got to be my fave! It doesn't even seem like a 12+ minute song because it all goes by so fast, I think that is one of the heaviest songs ever recorded! I also love Bleak and The Funeral Portrait...Ah, who am I kidding I love the entire album!

just as for most people, i belive bleak was my first...

it was the first opeth song i heard... and when i heard it i couldnt get enough, i loved it... it is my favortie song... period. and opeth is my favorite band... I love nearly all of the tracks on this cd... Bleak, Blackwater Park, Funeral Portrait, and Dirge for November are among my favorites...

Let me start off by saying this: Blackwater Park is a masterpiece!!! Plain & simple!

Never before have I heard an album with a FULL package of A++ songs (alright, Morningrise for I believe that is their finest work still.) Like some have said before me, it is overly difficult to choose the one song which stands high above the rest. That is indeed a tough question without a doubt.....

As hard as this is (also, for my opinions have been constantly changing between the songs) I will develop a list from my most fav to least fav song on BWP.....it may sound like a review, but I found it easier to create a list such as this.....

1. The Leper Affinity: From a quiet to loud introduction which is nothing short of fantastic, the highly impressive vocals of Mikael are soon heard. Man, what a way to start an overall stunning album. My favourite parts of the song are actually the two intrumental solo parts which are incredibly powerful (one at 2:40 the other at 4:00 - fucking gave me the chills!!!) And the song finishes off wondrously with the kinda haunting atmosphere I felt from the incredible piano work. Damn....impressive without a doubt!

2. Bleak: Many sweet parts in this one! Most fav. part in this awesome song is how amazingly it begins...elec. guitar with acoustic - simply brilliant stuff! And yes, I love the "Devious movement in your eyes...." part (great lyrics and guitar melody during this part) Also, the intrumental played at 6:40 is phenomenal and it gave me the chills how flawlessly the chorus came back in. If it is called a chorus, that is...) Pop or soft it is NOT. It's just insanely well-done music....a step up in direction for metal.

3. Harvest: Shit, I really love the lyrics to this one. And the melody....haunting yet mesmerizing. I love the sound of acoustic guitars. This song is incredible! I was thinking of placing Falls here, but man...it's tough enough as it is.

4. The Drapery Falls: Amazing intro and I love how the distorted vocals come in suddenly after hearing the clean one's for a bit. They are incredibly well done! I love the "Pull me down again and guide me into pain" part.

5. Dirge for November: I don't care what anyone else says, the vocals in the intro are done flawlessly. And how you're introduced to that wondrous and powerful solo shortly after the clean vocals are finished is just miraculous stuff. *Especially once the song reaches 2:42. Damn, wasn't expecting that and all I could feel were chills running down my spine. And damn, when the distorted vocals began I was like...."Shit! This fucking kicks ass!!!" "The omen showed, take me away...Preperations are done, this can't last...." - sweet shit, man! Just the way Mikael sings it....I applaud you man! Heh...such praise for a song that is in 5th place...one last thing: it ends brillaintly!

6. The Funeral Portrait: Didn't like this song much at first, I must say. Mainly because of the intro - kinda thrown me off. The tune just didn't do much for me. After a few listens, however, my opinions have changed. This song really kicks ass! While the intro guitar is perhaps still my least favourite part, it is at least far better once the vocals kick in. Then, at 1:16 things really start to pick up for me. From then on it's all just a great listen. The part at 4:13 really impressed me with Mikaels's stunning vocal work and how he growls those great words. If that wasn't powerful enough, the song emerges into a fantastic solo piece (I have always loved these guys' intrumental work.) The sudden change in tone at "And you are just like them all, stained by the Names of fathers, etc." is just awesome I say!

7. Blackwater Park: This song right off the bat starts off with a bang! Damn I love that freakin' part, even if it lasts for a split second or two. Some nice haunting/ambient-like tunes (IMO) at around 2:45 are a nice touch. When it gets all heavy again suddenly, it really makes a great impact on ya! Good stuff! My fav part? It would have to be all from around 7:09 to the end of the song.

8. Patterns in the Ivy: As much as I like this song, all I gotta really say is that I wish there was more to it. Perhaps a little on the short side, but it works well for what it is. Nice, quiet melody.

There you have it! Man, and this is what I call being "brief." Great album....and great to listen to during the night or ALL night - hehehe....with the lights all off.

The Drapery Falls

It was the first ever Opeth song I heard (the edited version on a Kerrang cover cd no less)

It blew me away with its beauty. I bought the album, and I got the biggest fucking shock of my life when, after the solo, Mikael let out this earth shattering growl. I didnt even know at the time that Opeth were a death band!!!!

Now theyre my favourite band

Which is why The Drapery Falls gets my vote

I loved Bleak at first, now it doesn't touch me that much.. my vote was for The Leper Affinity. I guess watching it live made the difference.. and I don't like the acoustic parts on The Drapery Falls :)

fuck im listening to the leper affinity now so thats why i choose it, in about 4 mins i'll probably say bleak, then in 10 mins i'll say Harvest...

its too hard to pick, almost all, i'd say at different times 6 have been my favourites.

Leper Affinity

Humm... seems that many of you said that Bleak was the first track you heard off BWP. I'm wondering about that. Drapery Falls was on all the compilation and label promos that I've run across. So, which one(s) have Bleak as the push track?

Blackwater Park is my fav. af the album it´s also the sickest and heaviest songs they´ve written, Imo...

Oh crap, I can't choose the best song...Bleak, Harvest, The Drapery Falls and The Funeral Potrait are my favorites...Maybe I'll answer to this later..

I think that not only does the album, Blackwater Park get neglected, but so does the song....

Its not my personal favorite, but its up there... is it because its titled the smae as the album that people dont like it?

just wondering?

I couldn't really decide (I only know that I like The Leper Affinity and The Funeral Portrait less than the others :)) so I voted for Dirge For November because I feel it's really underrated...

I think I voted for the song BWP way back in July. I stand by that still. I go buck wild during the last 4 minutes every single time I hear it.

Leper - Drapery - Drapery - Leper - DIRGE - Mmm, Blackwater Park is hot. I love the beginning. (haha, reading Lina's comments) Someone's got to love the middle most!

Somebody!
crying.gif

The Drapery falls is marred by death metal vox, Bleak does not wrap up too well, title track is too long, it's not Harvest or Patterns in the Ivy, or Dirge for November. That leaves The Leper Affinity. By the way... BWP is my fav opeth CD.