One (musical) thing you hate in metal

Whiny, high-pitched power metal vocals really bug me, mostly because they just sound weak and wimpy. And the whole "glory, power and metal" bullshit lyrics. Bah! But by far the worst thing about power metal are the "happy" songs. Geigh as fuck.

I like a good blastbeat now and then, but I don't like it when you can't hear the snare. Makes it sound weak. Blastbeats like Kataklysm do are the right way to do it.

Generic death vocals that sound like burping or the fucking cookie monster are stupid. It was sort of cool at first, but there's just too many of them now.

Metalcore in and of itself is lame, so I won't elaborate there.

My biggest peeve:

Bad production. People will say "oh but it suits the music" or "it adds to the atmosphere". Bullshit. Not if it sounds like it was recorded on a ghetto blaster in a tin shack. I like alot of Black Metal and the only thing that bugs me is the shitty sound. For example: I love Darkthrone, Emperor and Dark Funeral but the sound quality on many of their recordings is just plain bad. Emperor finally got it with Prometheus.

I'm getting used to metal with lyrics I can't understand. Bands like Disgorge and Cannibal Corpse are great, but I don't want to have to listen to their music on my computer while trying desparately to find a lyrics engine with their material on it! Is there a trick to decyphering words out of "nrnrnrnrnrnrnrnr... ughughughughugh..... eueueueueueueueughghghghghghgh...!"?

Aida_Melodica said:
I'm getting used to metal with lyrics I can't understand. Bands like Disgorge and Cannibal Corpse are great, but I don't want to have to listen to their music on my computer while trying desparately to find a lyrics engine with their material on it! Is there a trick to decyphering words out of "nrnrnrnrnrnrnrnr... ughughughughugh..... eueueueueueueueughghghghghghgh...!"?

Buy the CD, they usually have the lyrics printed inside...

You will probably get used to it and be able to hear slightly more the more you listen. Cannibal Corpse vocals aren't too hard to decipher, especially the more recent stuff with Corpsegrinder. Or Deicide and their classic "Blame It On Bob".

lord667 said:
Buy the CD, they usually have the lyrics printed inside...

You will probably get used to it and be able to hear slightly more the more you listen. Cannibal Corpse vocals aren't too hard to decipher, especially the more recent stuff with Corpsegrinder. Or Deicide and their classic "Blame It On Bob".

Having said that, sometimes you can't hear the lyrics for the simple reason that they aren't using any. I knew someone who had a bedroom "kvlt" project, and they told me that they just screeched and snarled random phonemes, throwing in an occasional "Satan!" here and there. It sounded alarmingly convincing.

One aspect of the metalcore scene I generally loathe is the extraneous use of breakdowns. Few bands are creatively capable of executing it seamlessly, and for the great majority it always seems so gratuitous, dull, and out-of-place.

I hate low production quality. It is just soooooooo annoying to try listening yo metal where you can't hear anying but garage-like music.

crimsonfloyd said:
Bands that put cliche guitar solos into every song, or solos for the sake of soloing, or really clean/glossy solos in the middle of a dark, dirty song. Don't get me wrong I love a good solo, but some bands try and sneak a solo into every fucking song. And yes, power metal vocals suck, especailly when they quintuple them so it sounds like a whole choir of friuts are singing at once.
Agree,
High pitched vox make me also sick.

None_So_Vile said:
Kinda like cannibal corpse then..
Not really. I'm talking about Nile. Sure i like Nile but seriously all their songs sound like one huge run on song with the exception of the songs i really like such as unas slayer of the gods, ramses bringer of wars, and black seeds of vengeance, but while talking to my g/f last night i was playing them and i couldn't listen to it anymore and switched to a mix i burned a while back.

I hate elitist "tr00" BMers.
I hate wannabe brutal vocalists.
I hate Dani Filth.
I hate over-the-top blasts.
I hate "raw" production.

That's it.

Caelum Adustum said:
I also hate Nile, I really don't understand how they are that great.

They are:

Monotonous
Boring
Wannabe "brutal"
And They Overuse the Egyptian motif to the point where I can't even take it seriously.

That being said, I hate them as well.

Yes, Nile are shit. Cryptopsy, too. I tend to lump these two together because they both suck and they both get worshipped by lots of stupid fanboys.

Like me. I love Nile.

Some annoying things about metal:

1. I hate most Gothenburg or melo-death.
2. Black Metallers worrying about being brutal or necro.
3. Yes, I passionately hate Cradle of Filth.
4. Overuse of keyboards.

Most people mentioned these already but..

Aida_Melodica said:

I can sing along with many death metal vocalists now, it takes time for you ear to be able to make out the words in death metal songs. Also you need to listen to the song and at least read lyrics once.

But still i swear no matter how many times i listen to nile i'll never understand it

perfect example is black seeds of vengeance

"the scourge of amalek is upon you
the seeds of amu have oppressed you
they have urinated upon you
they have made you eat feces
they know not ra"

When i listen to the CD it's more like

"the scourge of amalek is upon you
the seeds of amu have oppressed you
urrrrghhhhhhh.....urggggggghhh
feces, they know no ra
urrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh urrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh
they have defiled the writings of thoth"

or something like that...missing like 4 lines all together. I listen to it and read the lyrics at the same time and still don't get it.

But for the most part i can understand half of what they say, especially cannibal corpse. George Fisher doesn't go as deep as Chris Barnes did.

Oh and will someone explain "Burbing growls" and who lord worm is? Like what band is he a part of...and what bands do burbing vocals.

SculptedCold said:
Well you can definately tell his snare isn't triggered anyway; he can only hit it uber fast for a second or so before he loses it and the sound fades away as he starts having to tap it to try and keep going fast. It's funny on None So Vile when you hear that ALL the time. TAPTAPTapTaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap.

I remember reading an interview with him where he said, on the contrary, that he DOESN'T trigger for recording or practising but triggers only playing live, so they can get a good sound. A listen to None So Live confirms the latter part of that statement; acoustic bass drums definately do not sound like that!
QUOTE]Hmmm....true. Acoustic bass drusm don't sound like that. But I could have sworn I hear dynamics in the bass drum. *works on research paper*

In the Nightside Eclipse is the perfect example of how not to produce a black metal album. It isn't 'fuzzy', it's just pathetic.

It's not THAT bad. It didn't damage the album for me, I love it.

There are some truly bad productions that I can't stand though.

Powermetal vocals-I was really pissed when I bought my first nevermore cd because I had all these people recommend them and I couldn't stand it.

Cradle of Filth

Grindcore-well, most of it anyway.

Over the top blast beats, though in some cases they can be put to BRILLIANT use.

Out of place solos.

Inconsistent riffing-yknow, when they play one riff and then play the next one and it doesn't fit at all. Like they wrote a bunch of riffs and then decided to just play them in chronological order as fast as possible.

Male vocals that are WAAY too high.

Oh and about the Nile thing-In the Catacombs of Nephrem Ka was a brilliant album and truly a work of art. The rest of them repeated the formula but didn't pull it off. I don't like any album after that first one from them.

weeeelll, i really hate crap production, especially when done on purpose to make an album sound more "necro" or "brutal", nah it just makes it hard on the ears to listen to something that sounds recorded through an answering machine in a bathroom.

I dislike (i won't say hate) gore/death bands, i like cannibal corpse but i can't stand the lyrics from any of their songs, the worst i've read being "Entrail Ripped From A Virgins Cunt" i think maybe they should try to be a bit more subtle.

i also dislike over technical drums, like just being technical for the hell of it even though it doesn't fit the song.

thats about it.