Opeth at Big Day Out 2006!!

This is the worst idea ever. The Big Day Out is mostly for urban yuppies who'll mostly be expecting alt rock and the like. Opeth is not a good band to put in its line-up.

people that go to BDO would not enjoy it, even though they'll have huge distro now etc, the BDO promoters would listen and go.. 'eerr they're songs are like ten minutes long, and half of them are boring and slow - no one wants to see that' because they are emo and punk fans as said above..

other than metallica and, name a good metal band that has done BDO? and no hatebreed, soulfly, SOAD, and maralyn fucking manson do not count (to me anyway)

on the subject of people in power, i watched the movie JFK last night, which i'd never seen before (so i live under a rock) and it was such a good insight into american politics, i doubt things have changed for the better, and it proves that no one person has any real power if the people around you are commie war mongers. not that bush has that problem, he is the biggest cunt of em all..

i agree hes a bad president, but kerry isnt any better, at least bush does something..

howcome everyone started complaining about bush AFTER the war started ... not many people had such a big problem with it when he first started it.. sure a few here and there... then election comes around and everyone is sucking kerry's dick when hes not any better...conclusion, they all suck....

About the opeth topic... I dont live in NZ, but I would agree that a small club gig is better :erk: :Smug: Festivals and larger ones just take away from seeing more of Opeth...

TheApostle said:
i agree hes a bad president, but kerry isnt any better, at least bush does something..

howcome everyone started complaining about bush AFTER the war started ... not many people had such a big problem with it when he first started it.. sure a few here and there... then election comes around and everyone is sucking kerry's dick when hes not any better...conclusion, they all suck....

About the opeth topic... I dont live in NZ, but I would agree that a small club gig is better :erk: :Smug: Festivals and larger ones just take away from seeing more of Opeth...

Beause it was an illegal & unjust war

The pit wouldnt know what to do if they heard real metal. Fuck the big day out, its a shit festival. For me it would cost the same price if not more to get to Auckland as it would to Melborne (and I get free Accomodation). And then the setlist would be hardly worth it. 40 minutes at the most, nah. They should just focus ona headline tour.

Also how can war be legal? Because the UN says so? Move the argument to the london bombing thread.

TheApostle said:

because the war and the horribly misleading and false justification thereof were the first major fuckups of the administration

and Kerry would be better, if not for foreign policy then definitely for social policy

lol, say America and Bush are shite and a nice lil political debate ensues, I like it, my two worthless cents are that people moaned about Bush even before he got elected, even then people knew that he was a chimp in a suit. I think it's cos he's from texas, and is most likely the fruit of a brother-sister liaison.

Opeth have got to play NZ, they'd sell out all their shows with some good promotion, and I'll finally get to see my swedish heroes in action, I've waited too long. Also, they'll get to see some nice NZ countryside, it's lord of the rings country goddamnit!!

1. America sucks - it has no concept of anything outside of itself, has a sickening, inbred social culture, and is obsessed with vanity. Not only that, but the US thinks America is all that matters in this world and that everyone else comes second. F*** you, America. Stop killing etc etc innocent people and out your money where it counts - into the starvng mouths of millions of poor African children.

(However, of course - there are some Americans no doubt who probably feel the same way I do, and for that, I'll shout you a coffee anytime).

2. The BDO has become Americanised and extremely commericalised. Like Triple J, its now filled with these little pricks who try to convince 14 yr old coke snorting kids that theyre punk, but in reality, none of them could talk when punk was around.

The days of a good Aussie underground festival died back almost 10 years ago. The music scene in our country has stagnated (for the most part) ever since, relying on American mainstream styles of almost all influence if not copying outright.

Opeth at the BDO? Thats the worst idea I have ever heard! Whats next, Katatonia supporting Justin Timberlake?

Yeah, fuck that idea. I got all worried when I saw the title for this thread. That would be completely fucked, worse than them supporting Korn.

The Hubster said:
2. The BDO has become Americanised and extremely commericalised. Like Triple J, its now filled with these little pricks who try to convince 14 yr old coke snorting kids that theyre punk, but in reality, none of them could talk when punk was around.

The days of a good Aussie underground festival died back almost 10 years ago. The music scene in our country has stagnated (for the most part) ever since, relying on American mainstream styles of almost all influence if not copying outright.

Opeth at the BDO? Thats the worst idea I have ever heard! Whats next, Katatonia supporting Justin Timberlake?

Right on. Fuck the original poster and fuck the BDO.

The Hubster said:

if you mean the BDO homebake and that then yeah i totally agree with you, but the local metal scene here is getting really strong now i feel (opinion only), goredofest last weekend was proof of that, did you go? it was midday to midnight metal fest at the gaelic club and was really well done, headlined by the amenta, with daysend infernal method etc etc, was a fucking great festival, and was definately underground, about 700 payers i think..

Horst Nordfink said:
Right on. Fuck the original poster and fuck the BDO.

I don't really mean in terms of "f*** the original poster", I'm sure they meant well with their idea, but I just feel very strongly against our music scene in Australia, hence my bluntness in my response. (No offence to the topic starter).

WestHammer said:
if you mean the BDO homebake and that then yeah i totally agree with you, but the local metal scene here is getting really strong now i feel (opinion only), goredofest last weekend was proof of that, did you go? it was midday to midnight metal fest at the gaelic club and was really well done, headlined by the amenta, with daysend infernal method etc etc, was a fucking great festival, and was definately underground, about 700 payers i think..

I dont really attend too many local metal things here in Sydney to be honest, but would love to... What youve mentioned sounds interesting though!

PS - I've added you to MSN

WestHammer said:

I honestly hope you're joking. Goredo fest was a joke, and a majority of the bands playing were as musically capable as those on the SOTU tour. Yet Bloodlust was the week before, featuring the best Aussie metal acts, but I bet you've never even heard of it.

Forgive me if I sound like a total retard, but are there any local Doom and Black Metal bands? All the ones I hear of seem to be thrash or power metal.

I love my Doom and Black Metal.

PS - by local, I'm referring to Sydney... I know SA have Virgin Black (gothic doom apparently, but I have yet to check them out).

I can't confirm location, but The Eternal, Mournful Congregation and dISEMBOWELMENT are all doom, and Darklord, Astriaal, Carbon and Kill for Satan are black metal.

Astriaal and Carbon are from Brisbane, the rest I'm not entirely sure. There's a fest down your way next month I think too, at which Astriaal will be making their return to the live scene.

Most Aussie bands focus on the black thrash genre though. Not a bad thing by any means.

After a few seconds of research, here's my findings. All from Sydney.

Lycanthia - Doom metal
Stone Wings - Doom metal
Battalion - melodic black/war metal
Crucible of Agony - black metal
Nazxul - black metal (I cannot recommend these guys enough)
Lord Kaos - symphonic black metal