Opeth covering Slayer in a dream

As much as I agree with you on most points, I think you are missing the whole point of Slayer if you think they glorify the holocaust :learn:
And also you like Cannibal corpse?:erk: :puke:

It was just an example to prove that not every band in a genre has to interest a listener in order to find other bands of the same genre appealing. You obviously dont like Cannibal Corpse but you may like other death metal bands, that proves my point right there. Does Slayer have a point other than promoting blasphemy, hatred, and the "fuck it all" mentality and to be as extreme as possible to cater to an audience who believes "the heavier the better"? If so than your right I am missing the point. They certainly havnt gained many fans for their artistic merit or musicianship, haha. How do lyrics like this not glorify the holocaust?

Auschwitz, the meaning of pain
The way that I want you to die
Slow death, immense decay
Showers that cleanse you of your life
Forced in
Like cattle
You run
Stripped of
Your life's worth
Human mice, for the Angel of Death
Four hundred thousand more to die
Destroying, without mercy
To benefit the Aryan race

Surgery, with no anesthesia
Feel the knife pierce you intensely
Inferior, no use to mankind
Strapped down screaming out to die

Pumped with fluid, inside your brain
Pressure in your skull begins pushing through your eyes
Burning flesh, drips away
Test of heat burns your skin, your mind starts to boil
Frigid cold, cracks your limbs
How long can you last
In this frozen water burial?
Sewn together, joining heads
Just a matter of time
'Til you rip yourselves apart
Millions laid out in their
Crowded tombs
Sickening ways to achieve
The holocaust
Seas of blood, bury life
Smell your death as it burns
Deep inside of you
Abacinate, eyes that bleed
Praying for the end of
Your wide awake nightmare

You really don't understand Slayer, do you?

Its not a lack of understanding that makes me dislike thier music. I understand perfectly why they appeal to their legions of fans and they are good at what they do, but the music they make doesnt interest me in the least. Trying to make it seem like I dislike the band because I dont understand them is giving the material a deeper meaning than it deserves. They play fast angry metal that has tons of balls and attitude, but no depth. Its not difficult to comprehend.

It was just an example to prove that not every band in a genre has to interest a listener in order to find other bands of the same genre appealing. You obviously dont like Cannibal Corpse but you may like other death metal bands, that proves my point right there. Does Slayer have a point other than promoting blasphemy, hatred, and the "fuck it all" mentality and to be as extreme as possible to cater to an audience who believes "the heavier the better"? If so than your right I am missing the point. They certainly havnt gained many fans for their artistic merit or musicianship, haha. How do lyrics like this not glorify the holocaust?

Auschwitz, the meaning of pain
The way that I want you to die
Slow death, immense decay
Showers that cleanse you of your life
Forced in
Like cattle
You run
Stripped of
Your life's worth
Human mice, for the Angel of Death
Four hundred thousand more to die
Destroying, without mercy
To benefit the Aryan race

Surgery, with no anesthesia
Feel the knife pierce you intensely
Inferior, no use to mankind
Strapped down screaming out to die

Pumped with fluid, inside your brain
Pressure in your skull begins pushing through your eyes
Burning flesh, drips away
Test of heat burns your skin, your mind starts to boil
Frigid cold, cracks your limbs
How long can you last
In this frozen water burial?
Sewn together, joining heads
Just a matter of time
'Til you rip yourselves apart
Millions laid out in their
Crowded tombs
Sickening ways to achieve
The holocaust
Seas of blood, bury life
Smell your death as it burns
Deep inside of you
Abacinate, eyes that bleed
Praying for the end of
Your wide awake nightmare

Of course I dont like Cannibal Corpse, they are absolutely unimaginitve generic Death metal! It boggles my mind that you like cannibal corpse yet are criticizing Slayer, actually, its down right hilarious!
The point of Angel of Death is to tell the story from the point of Dr Death @ Auschwitz. Not to promote the holucaust!
Slayer think that to get more people to know about the horrors of the holocaust, the trick is to shock people with the brutality of it to bring it to peoples attention, they are not promoting it at all, just telling it how it was. Its actually pretty dam obvious if you think about it..

KNAC.COM: And that’s a HUGE misinterpretation --people misconceive Slayer as being Satanic, Nazis, and Racists, etc. and that’s one of the main songs where people go, “Oh my God! Angel Of Death -- that’s so pro-Nazi!”
HANNEMAN: I know why people misinterpret it -- it’s because they get this knee-jerk reaction to it. When they read the lyrics, there’s nothing I put in the lyrics that says necessarily he was a bad man, because to me -- well, isn’t that obvious?!?!?! I shouldn’t have to tell you that. [Laughs]

KNAC.COM: Well, and it’s one of those taboo things that as soon as it’s mentioned, especially in the context of an entire song, people are going to just make that automatic assumption, “Oh, well they must be Nazis.”
HANNEMAN: Yeah, just because we don’t say, “Nazism is very bad!” [Laughs]

KNAC.COM: [Laughs] Yeah, “let’s not listen to them or listen to the lyrics, we’ll just make our assumption now.”
HANNEMAN: Exactly -- it’s that knee-jerk reaction -- “Huh? Oh My God!!!”

Rocker0803: When he mentions a "knee-jerk reaction", he's talking about YOU

I had a dream the other day that Opeth put out a 3 track cover CD of Slayer, while working on their next album.

While I don't remember the 2 other songs, they covered Kill Again, off Hell Awaits, and Opeth's version just kicked ass. Death vocals through the whole song and Axe's double bass throughout.

What other two songs should they cover, and what do you think about the direction Opeth are headed if they were to cover Slayer.

And yeah yeah, I understand people are going to insert their witty comments about this thread, but hey, whatever...

I'm going to get bashed for saying it, but Slayer isn't worth covering. Period.

Of course I dont like Cannibal Corpse, they are absolutely unimaginitve generic Death metal! It boggles my mind that you like cannibal corpse yet are criticizing Slayer, actually, its down right hilarious!
The point of Angel of Death is to tell the story from the point of Dr Death @ Auschwitz. Not to promote the holucaust!
Slayer think that to get more people to know about the horrors of the holocaust, the trick is to shock people with the brutality of it to bring it to peoples attention, they are not promoting it at all, just telling it how it was. Its actually pretty dam obvious if you think about it..

Cannibal Corpse is not my favorite band in the least. I have two or three songs downloaded on Itunes, I dont even own one of their Cd's. I was trying to prove a point as I already said. Their lyrics are extreme for the sake of being extreme. Wether thier about the doctor who killed thousands of people or the nazis who killed thousands of people, the lyrics are still about the death's of thousands. They arnt trying to do a public service announcment.

Cannibal Corpse is not my favorite band in the least. I have two or three songs downloaded on Itunes, I dont even own one of their Cd's. I was trying to prove a point as I already said. Their lyrics are extreme for the sake of being extreme. Wether thier about the doctor who killed thousands of people or the nazis who killed thousands of people, the lyrics are still about the death's of thousands. They arnt trying to do a public service announcment.

Jesus dude, get some common sense, for a start read the interview sample that Hibernal dream posted

Well Im not sure where Im lacking comman sense so perhaps you can explain it to me. How does what Hanneman said make those lyrics any less extreme? If they dont like being judged as Satanic, Nazis, and Racists they shouldnt write songs that are about

A) Satanic Topics
The pestilence of Jesus Christ
There never was a sacrifice
No man who upon the crucifix
Beware the cult of purity
Infectious imbecility
I've made my choice

Pissing on your faith
Incinerate God's whore
Perpetual is my reign
I will eat your soul

B) Killing and Death
Screams never silence the pain
Death is like an old friend
I can't wait to watch you die
I am you vice so real, so real
Desires of the scars of new flesh
Bathe in you blood excites/incites
The ritualistic lacerations
Inhumanities profane, insane
Inflicted since the dawn of time
Make your peace with God - goodbye
And embrace the pain that burns inside you
All of life decays
Rapes my eyes

C) Hatred and Superiority
I'm sorry
For something I didn't do
Lynched somebody
But I didn't know who
You blame me
For slavery
A hundred years before I was born
Guilty of being white
Guilty of being right

The context of these lyrics is irrevelant to their extremity; even if thier condeming these topics (which their not) these lyrics are still intense. If you tell me that any sort of context makes these lyrics less graphic Im not the one lacking comman sense. When I saw Slayer in Cleveland there was a homeless black man outside the venue when we got out. He politely asked a skinhead how the concert was and the skinhead replied "go to hell you fucking my pals". Half the audience had this attitude so dont tell me the majority of thier fans give a flying fuck about context. Im no bible humper but the point of my first topic was to explain that Slayers music is extreme enough that not everyone can enjoy it. I also admitted to liking a few songs, its good work out music, but if you think they are being extreme for a purpose than your one of the minority of their fans. How would anyone get the impression that these fine outstanding gentleman are ungodly and hateful with song titles like The Antichrist, Behind The Crooked Cross, Altar Of Sacrifice, I'm Gonna Be Your God (I Wanna Be Your Dog), Darkness Of Christ, Love To Hate, I Hate You, Captor Of Sin, etc ... The only possible explanation is that their lacking comman sense, haha. Oh and dont call me "Jesus Dude", I know Im awesome but Im no better than Slayer if I join in the blasphemy, haha.

Ah I give in, you just dont get it, and as for a bands fans having any relevance to a debate like this, that just silly!! Im pretty dam sure that ALOT of Slayers fans arent the most intelligent of beings as are a lot of metal heads in general and because of this probably interpret the lyrics in dumb way... Oh and by the way, those last lyrics that you used as an example arent even Slayers, they only covered the song.

You do realize that Opeth lyrics touch on the subject of death etc. dude? (funnily enough, them been a death metal band and all)

There's a big difference in the way Slayer and Opeth tackle the same topic... Don't try to take shit outta context. I completely agree with Rocker. One of the reasons I hate slayer is that they sing about all this sorta shit, then Araya claims to be a christian and condemns everything they sing about. What a fucking idiot. Their lyrics condone, support and encourage violent/satanic/racist behaviour, as do many other bands. If you are gonna sing about it, to each his own, but don't fucking say you're against everything you sing about...

But yeah back on topic.. :D That's the main reason I dislike Slayer. Definitaly not a band for everyone, and their fans generally have to be the biggest redneck racist sadistic wankers that all the other metal fans hate for starting fights in the pit with little kids to make them feel better about themselves. I guess it's the music that attracts those kinda people.

Ah I give in, you just dont get it, and as for a bands fans having any relevance to a debate like this, that just silly!! Im pretty dam sure that ALOT of Slayers fans arent the most intelligent of beings as are a lot of metal heads in general and because of this probably interpret the lyrics in dumb way... Oh and by the way, those last lyrics that you used as an example arent even Slayers, they only covered the song.

You do realize that Opeth lyrics touch on the subject of death etc. dude? (funnily enough, them been a death metal band and all)

Haha, ok I guess I dont get it. I would like to understand what the fuck your talking about, but Im having alot of trouble grasping your logic. I dont see how theres any other way to interpret the lyrics. To say most of Slayers fans misinterpret them because their dumb is not a valid point. I could post an excerpt out of every single one of thier songs and in almost all of them you have to go really really deep to find any meaning besides a hatred for god, or people, or life in general. Opeth is one of the very few death metal bands that I like because even though thier lyrics have to do with some sinister topics, they convey it in a way that is artistic and sophisticated. Thier lyrics are more like poetry than something an angry teenager would write when they want to fight someone. The lyrics have never been the main appeal for me with Opeth anyway.

To hibernal-dream: At least Ive made a point, the only thing youve done is stated that you think Im wrong without any evidence to support why you think so. The excerpt you posted just proves how oblivious Hanneman is. It would be like a rapper wearing pants down to his knees with a grill and a sideways hat writing songs that condone smoking crack, selling drugs, killing cops, raping woman, robbing stores, shooting rival gang members, etc getting upset that people think hes a thug. If you talk, walk, act, or write songs about being a thug your most likely a thug. If you talk, walk, act, or write songs that ooze with hatred chances are your most likely a hateful person. The fact that you believe that Slayer is writing their songs about buthchering christians to inform people about hatred is whats stupid. Its not like their trying to benifit society in any way at all and are activly speaking out to gain peace and understanding. They entertain with their music those who find it enjoyable. Thats it.

Slayer is sellouts they write that kind of music because it sells... I dont give a flying fuck if the are nazis or what the fuck you are jibbering about, all bands dont need to be what they sing about because if it was like that Mikael Åkerfeldt would be a rapeist, killer and satanist.

Slayer is sellouts they write that kind of music because it sells... I dont give a flying fuck if the are nazis or what the fuck you are jibbering about, all bands dont need to be what they sing about because if it was like that Mikael Åkerfeldt would be a rapeist, killer and satanist.

...and Rhapsody would be knights slaying dragons. I never said that Slayer is the antichrist because they write about him. I said pretty much exactly what you did that they write extreme hateful music because it sells, but they shouldnt expect to be treated like they havnt just written a song thats about abolishing an entire religion. Slayer have been extremely controversial their entire career so they have gained a reputation as controversial people. They could be godly men who go to bible studies every week and love puppies and sing lullabys to newborns, but after 20 years of releasing material that worships Satan and screams of hatred its obvious why people think of them as Satanic, Nazis, and Racists. What I understand about Mike from his lyrics is hes an inteligent artistic guy who likes darker topics. The difference is that Slayer activly condemn and attack religion while Mike just writes about the other side of things. His lyrics arnt about having Jesus as his homey but their not about ripping him to shreds either. "Dont tell me the majority of thier fans give a flying fuck about context", thats an exact quote out of one of my posts. It bares a striking resemblance to your second sentence. Of corse I was talking about uninteligent Slayer fans but I suppose sense you think they sold out it can relate to an uninteligent metalhead as well. Im not jibbering about anything, if you cant comprehend what Im saying thats your problem. Maybe I can dumb it down a little for you from now on, haha.

Sorry for not remebering everything you wrote o you allmighty forum poster of ultimate e-peen... And please your attitude is quite well how should I put it? Like a bully, so please before you go on and toss some more shit on the people that you so clearly outsmart remeber that everyone aint from a english speaking country so some of uss might have problems of fully understanding what you are writning so please dumb it down for me Mr. (American?)Rocker0803.

Sorry for not remebering everything you wrote o you allmighty forum poster of ultimate e-peen... And please your attitude is quite well how should I put it? Like a bully, so please before you go on and toss some more shit on the people that you so clearly outsmart remeber that everyone aint from a english speaking country so some of uss might have problems of fully understanding what you are writning so please dumb it down for me Mr. (American?)Rocker0803.

Im sorry, I got offensive because I was trying to make what I think is a valid point and you discarded it as jibberish after saying that debating on a message forum is for retards. In my opinion everyone praising Opeth and not talking about any other subjects would get boring extremely quickly. I dont mean to be condescending when I express what I think, I just get frustrated when the only replys that are posted are much like the first posters which offer a strong point of view as well as a few insults but dont offer anything but an opinion which needs to be agreed with or your automatically astonishingly stupid. Its obvious you didnt bother to read what I wrote but I dont have hard feelings for anyone who disagrees with me, everyone is entitled to their own point of view.