Opeth Discussion

Just my opinion here, but I like Opeth cuz they sound like nobody else. Truly epic songs. Great moments of beauty and brutality in almost all of their songs. Totally original music, even to they have said on stage "totally ripping off Camel for this song." Forgot which song that was. But that was just one song.
"Never Let Go" was the Camel song that resembles a song off of Damnation that is escaping my mind at the moment. Camel is amazing tho'.

It was Benighted from Still Life, basically the first 10 or so notes of the first "riff" (whatever you call an acoustic part) is exactly the same. TBH it would almost be more comical to take this to the Opeth forum since most people there would "gang up" on you but would probably make themselves look pretty mentally deficient at the same time (admittedly Opeth has a few bad fanboys just like Tool, Metallica, Dream Theater, etc.). But at the same time I agree that people find it trendy to bash these kinda bands that are obviously fairly musically accomplished (I personally think most Dream Theater is boring but at least I haven't made a post about them yet), and that's kinda sad, as we could be using our energy to bash the more mutually hated nonsense like Slipknot and Dragonforce. Hell even Bloodbath deserves bashing more than Opeth, I mean at least Opeth is legitimately unique as hell whereas Bloodbath fans totally blow off a lot of similar music that's quite often better.

It was Benighted from Still Life, basically the first 10 or so notes of the first "riff" (whatever you call an acoustic part) is exactly the same. TBH it would almost be more comical to take this to the Opeth forum since most people there would "gang up" on you but would probably make themselves look pretty mentally deficient at the same time (admittedly Opeth has a few bad fanboys just like Tool, Metallica, Dream Theater, etc.). But at the same time I agree that people find it trendy to bash these kinda bands that are obviously fairly musically accomplished (I personally think most Dream Theater is boring but at least I haven't made a post about them yet), and that's kinda sad, as we could be using our energy to bash the more mutually hated nonsense like Slipknot and Dragonforce. Hell even Bloodbath deserves bashing more than Opeth, I mean at least Opeth is legitimately unique as hell whereas Bloodbath fans totally blow off a lot of similar music that's quite often better.

Whats so cool about bashing bands? I think it's ridiculous. And to be frank, Slipknot has done a lot of good for the metal scene. Like it or not, they've gotten kids into bands like Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and countless othrers? I don't see the harm in that? Oh well..

Not me into Morbid Angel Jesse Pohjalainen, not me at all. I'm into Morbid Angel like fire, and since a very long time, and it's because I heard it on Voxpop like ten years ago when the blond girl was program leader, so it's not slipknot who is the giver.

I never got into Slipknot.

My intro bands were Black Sabbath, Ozzy's solo stuff, Metallica and Pantera.

Ya I got into metal through Opeth, Metallica, Tool, Isis, and some others, and if anything, Slipknot just delayed me getting to the point of liking metal.

Not me into Morbid Angel Jesse Pohjalainen, not me at all. I'm into Morbid Angel like fire, and since a very long time, and it's because I heard it on Voxpop like ten years ago when the blond girl was program leader, so it's not slipknot who is the giver.
Voxpop! :kickass:
And Josefine Sunström is probably the hottest famous Swede around, I <3 her! :( :(

Haha yeah, but it was a kinda weird show, they could both show videos with Hanson and Boyzone as well as Slayer and Morbid Angel.

Seems like this was posted here so people can rip on Opeth without getting ganged up on like they would at the main Opeth forum.

seems like the opeth forum exists so that people can praise opeth without getting ganged up on like they would on the majority of underground metal forums

But at the same time I agree that people find it trendy to bash these kinda bands that are obviously fairly musically accomplished (I personally think most Dream Theater is boring but at least I haven't made a post about them yet), and that's kinda sad, as we could be using our energy to bash the more mutually hated nonsense like Slipknot and Dragonforce. Hell even Bloodbath deserves bashing more than Opeth, I mean at least Opeth is legitimately unique as hell whereas Bloodbath fans totally blow off a lot of similar music that's quite often better.

thing is, opeth get ripped on because all their fans are slobbering worshippers and usually pretty dumb. this excessive backlash is just a balancing act. i agree that opeth canes bloodbath though.

I didn't mean that everyone has gotten into those bands through them! That would be stupid, but I've seen a lot of kids get into more extreme music because of SK. For me it's been exactly the opposite though. I used to have my tr00 phase in music when I only listened to some, back then to me, obscure shit. Then I got me some brains and I stopped caring what the hell other people thought of the music that sounded good to me. All this elitist stuff just makes me laugh my ass off.

I've heard the majority of their albums multiple times and they got more boring and predictable with each listen.

:lol: I'm sorry, but this is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. So, their album got more boring and predictable with each listen because of what reason? Oh wait, was it due to the fact that YOU WERE FUCKING FAMILIAR WITH THE SONGS?! I DUNNO THAT SEEMS LIKE A LOGICAL EXPLANATION, LIKE FUCKING DUH OBVIOUSLY. :erk:

I'm pretty sure he means that Opeth get more predictable with each album which is correct, in fact.

Opeth are the first metal band I have been obsessed with. Really opened the doors to the world of metal. Glad my true introduction to metal was listening to Opeth instead of more dubious means.

Blackwater Park is the best work, but the others aren't too far behind.

Since the Opeth forum is closing down, this is now the place to discuss Opeth on Ultimate Metal. So... discuss.