Opeth next album prediction based on current members

Something most of you need to understand. WS is not the same kind of music as GR just because GR had unconventional-for-Opeth songs too (Atonement, Beneath the Mire, Hours of Wealth). GR had an intense atmosphere like old Opeth with that dark forest feel, and was every bit as heavy as MAYH or SL (though falling short of Deliverance and Blackwater Park, but those were extremes). WS is a good album but was borderline mainstream at points with Coil, Porcelain Heart, and Burden. WS was obviously not as heavy as GR what with only 2.5 of 7 songs having any growling whereas GR had 5 fantastic heavy tracks. WS also had an unconventional-for-Opeth atmosphere (though it did have one, contrary to Philno's opinion...). So stop connecting GR with this "new direction of Opeth" because it's so much more badass than this prog rock with a bit metal stuff of 2008.

Expect way more from Per. Nothing has the potential to expand Opeth's sonic arsenal more than him. Opeth is getting really experimental in a really good way i.e. King Crimson and it's going to be awesome. Watershed was well, a Watershed album. A transition. In the Rehearsal Tapes video Mikael said his head is in a "fucked up" place musically. Expect things to get weird...

Lets face it, the days of MAYH, Deliverance, SL, BWP are gone. Watershed fell into the line set by GR and I see no reason why we wouldnt get more of the same. More melodic, less growls, maybe one real heavy song. Im not downing them, I like the new music, not as much as the old but I like Opeth for being Opeth and not just for songs that "has some lyrics, that are absolute black metul nonsense"

what on earth are you talking about?

ghost reveries was teh dark, teh br0talz, teh heavyz and had loads of growls.

it'd be brutal if like everything was brutal that way when brutal stuff happend we would know it was brutal because everything is brutal especially things that are brutal.

metal.

I think people expecting things to get 'like, broodal, dude' will be disappointed. Opeth are always firmly going to be rooted in metal but I believe at the same time that they collectively want to push themselves, and going just another 'brutal' heavy album for the sake of it wouldn't be pushing themselves creatively. They really could write that album in their sleep. I don't think it will be far from Watershed, although perhaps with a few more new elements and experiments.

Plus I have never understood why people have wanted Opeth to be 'brudal' and heavy anyway when their are far more bands that do that (and do it far, far better and consistently).

Yeah, whatsoever. So far not a single Opeth album has dissapointed me though.

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with you here, but i have to say, watershed isnt really what i expected, not to say it was a major let-down or anything.

I don't think they should go back to 100% unadultareted, gooch vibrating metal, they have enough amazing metal albums under their belt. I think Watershed was a real interesting step forward, and had some amazing songs, albeit with less replayability.
Musical proficiency wise, they are at the top of their game, so now that the current 'Peth force have an album's worth of writing together under their belts and tons of live experience together, their next album should mesh together fucking great. I still think Mike is the heart and soul of the band, he has written the greatest part of the band's amazing catalogue and I still have faith in him to pull out a lot more goods from under that massive tophat of songwriting.

My predictions for the next album. A leaning towards more riff based songs, a la My Arms Your Hearse or Still Life, but with a grander sound, thanks to Per's octopus skills on the keys. If I had it my way also, more clean harmony vocals, and a slightly more epic sound, a la Still Life era, I'm a slut for that shit.

And I think Fred will have a good influence solo wise, I was really impressed with some of his work on Watershed, especially on Heir Apparent, he played fast as a demon on skates, but still included melody and restraint, not just Hammett-style wank.

I don't think they should go back to 100% unadultareted, gooch vibrating metal, they have enough amazing metal albums under their belt. I think Watershed was a real interesting step forward, and had some amazing songs, albeit with less replayability.
Musical proficiency wise, they are at the top of their game, so now that the current 'Peth force have an album's worth of writing together under their belts and tons of live experience together, their next album should mesh together fucking great. I still think Mike is the heart and soul of the band, he has written the greatest part of the band's amazing catalogue and I still have faith in him to pull out a lot more goods from under that massive tophat of songwriting.

My predictions for the next album. A leaning towards more riff based songs, a la My Arms Your Hearse or Still Life, but with a grander sound, thanks to Per's octopus skills on the keys. If I had it my way also, more clean harmony vocals, and a slightly more epic sound, a la Still Life era, I'm a slut for that shit.

And I think Fred will have a good influence solo wise, I was really impressed with some of his work on Watershed, especially on Heir Apparent, he played fast as a demon on skates, but still included melody and restraint, not just Hammett-style wank.

I like this prediction.
If i was a betting man id bet on this.

Anyone who thinks Opeth's lineup changes would influence the bands' sound in any direction is a moron; unless that change involves Mikael. There are people who think Watershed would be a completely different album had Lopez and Lindgren stayed. Of course that's their opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still fucking morons. The only difference would be the removal of Porcelain Heart, nothing more.

You are indeed the moron,
Sure miike is the prime writer always has been always will be, but Fred didnt join to play opeth covers. nor the rest I presume.

undoubtedly, fred will play some solos, and axe will play drums, slightly more different than lopez
but mike is going to write / has written everything else, including ALL the riffs, ALL song arrangements and dynamics etc which would be the only factors in determining the sound of the album

You are talking about ALBUM PREDICTIONS based on lineup changes, so here is my prediction: Fred will play some shredding solos and Axe will play drums a bit less creatively than Lopez. That's all you can say.

Based on current members.
not lineup changes.

so that still includes Per, who i think will want to chip in a bit more this time around.
Fred will definitely want to add his 2 $'s worth.
Even the smallest of changes will change the outlook of a song.
Making it something different.