Opeth next album prediction based on current members

Per, who i think will want to chip in a bit more this time around.
The Korg Triton that Per uses is a sonic beast capable of pumping out some serious soundscapes, and I wouldn't be suprised if Per was utilized in that capacity to change up the band's sound a bit. Leave the key-shredding to Dream Theatre..thats their territory imo. I enjoyed the ambient stuff in Watershed and personally think theres a lot more ground to cover there, considering how creative Mikael is. I would be stoked if Per went into full sound artist mode and played with a whole aresenal of gear, throwing in some Moog, maybe some really weird shit like using a reel-to-reel tape machine to make song cycles using cut up tapes of old obscure occult prose/original lyrical work to tell a story from within the music, mixed with ambient accents like classic Opeth guitar feedback manipulation. The song cycle concept would seem to lend itself well to a band like Opeth that tries to tell stories within their music. I trust they could easily pull off this kind of experimentation without it seeming "gimmicky", considering how seamlessley they encorporate so many areas of music into one, cohesive sound.

Of course none of this would flow without a healthy dose of headbang inducing riffage.:headbang:

Anyone who thinks Opeth's lineup changes would influence the bands' sound in any direction is a moron; unless that change involves Mikael.

I sincerly don't think so. Just the fact that they are all playing together and the simple idea of changing members will influence a lot. Yes, Mikael will always be the heart of Opeth, yet the contribution of each member should be quite important, and it will. Composing lyrics is clearly reserved to Mikael, but riff-wise, each member brings a part of his stuff. Mikael rearranges it overally, but he has certain limits somehow. And necesserly, it's gonna different than in the old years, since Fredrik is able to compose things that Akerfeldt will like (differently from past guitarist) and Per will probably help composing riffs. Axe and Mendez will do their usual stuff and it will be great too. So there.

I'm a moron.

but riff-wise, each member brings a part of his stuff. Mikael rearranges it overally

Then I assume you know it by heart that Mikael is / has been *lying* when he says

"I have been writing ALL THE MUSIC since MAYH. There isn't a SINGLE riff Peter or anyone contributed to (save the intro of Dirge for November)"

Didn't know Mike was such a liar and whatever you are called when you play someone else's riff and try to tout it as your own. I'm never gonna listen to Opeth again.

You are funny trying to bitch me, but I just said right after that in fact, everything in the past was completly done by Mikael. As well as his music, it's changing. He now gets Per's influence, and will certainly get Fredrik's for the next album. I know your little opinion is precious for you, but don't get that offended and sarcastic.

But thanks for the information about Dirge for November, didn't know. And I didn't know that Mikael said/wrote that exact sentence. Quite interesting in fact. Porcelain Heart as now one riff he hasn't done, and Derelict Herds also. There's a new progression, see?

Wait, relative to my quote above, do you deny that Mikael doesn't write drums and bass? There was in fact a little confusion there, I was more thinking about members not being guitarists (and talking in present if you noticed?), and mentionning right after that Peter hasn't contributed. Anyway, read better, that's a common mistake and I'm giving you a chance. ;)

Even if Mike writes all the music, lyrics and arrangements for the next album, he's still going to be influenced by the new members' style of play, which will influence his writing. So new members -> new influences -> new ideas, even if Mike writes everything.

Even if Mike writes all the music, lyrics and arrangements for the next album, he's still going to be influenced by the new members' style of play, which will influence his writing. So new members -> new influences -> new ideas, even if Mike writes everything.

Yeah, I agree. The fact that Mikael, even though being the main writer, has different tools to work with in this line-up (mainly Per's keyboards and Fred's lead guitar ability) which I imagine would determine the directions the song may go in.

Anyone who thinks Opeth's lineup changes would influence the bands' sound in any direction is a moron; unless that change involves Mikael.

I second that, all the people here are trying to say that new line changes are affecting Mikael in a certain way so his writing would change bla bla
Come on, he already said that! READ!
unless that change involves Mikael.
Normally I am not that brutal while stating facts but labeling guys as morons who dont think so is not even enough on this matter..

The writing won't be influcened only by members but by Mike personal life (like what happened in D&D and Watershed) and Opeth sounds different every line up changing from MAYH to Watershed !!

Only change resultant of lineups was Peter's Solos ----> Fred's Solos. Everything else different about Watershed is a difference in Mike's head...now it is sad that we'll never get another epic Peter solo (or...session musician plz?), but I can do without if Mike just makes good music.

Only change resultant of lineups was Peter's Solos ----> Fred's Solos. Everything else different about Watershed is a difference in Mike's head...now it is sad that we'll never get another epic Peter solo (or...session musician plz?), but I can do without if Mike just makes good music.

That's what I am saying.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but from MAYH to Deliverance the lineup was completely the same, but the albums are completely different from each other. Which means that it's Mike and only Mike decides what's going to happen and I'm very dubious of him being influenced by Peter - Fredrik - Lopez or Axe.

it would probably be an Abba-cover album with some creepy subliminal messages and a few hidden 25 min cock-rock tracks stained by beer.

I also like muffins.

That's what I am saying.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but from MAYH to Deliverance the lineup was completely the same, but the albums are completely different from each other. Which means that it's Mike and only Mike decides what's going to happen and I'm very dubious of him being influenced by Peter - Fredrik - Lopez or Axe.

That logic doesn't seem right. Based on it, if each album are different and they keep being different, then there are no "changes" and therefore Opeth members don't have influence and will never have? Doesn't makes sense to me. What I'm saying is that albums will FOR SURE keep changing (like any bands, generally) but that doesn't mean other members necesserly won't do anything on it, creatively. They could, and if they did, it would STILL be different. And I don't see why you are dubious about Fredrik... are you with Per?

Watershed+Still Life=Next Opeth album (so I hope at least!)

In all seriousness, MAYH was the first album with the then new Opeth line-up (minus Mendez on bass) and its follow up was perhaps their best album. I look at Watershed the same way (although I like it a lot more than probably most the people here). A solid album with some great tracks and an intriguing change to style, and I think the next album will be better and more mature.

Bottomline: I trust Mike and his songwriting style. I was a little worried after GR and Lindgren's departure as to how the next album would sound, but those fears were silenced almost as soon as I turned Watershed on for the first time and heard the transition from Coil to Heir Apparent.