Opeth on Roadrunner?

Well I hope for the best. I'm slightly worried like most of you all, but I don't think this will really affect the sound of any future opeth releases.

A lot of my old favorite death metal bands were signed to them at one point until they felt they were being used/ripped off and then later ignored by roadrunner records.

"Eventually Roadrunner are going to jump back on the heavy metal bandwagon and it's gonna be cute, it's gonna be real sickening to see to a label jump right back on what they got big from, but basically what they've turned their backs on in the process."
-Chuck Schuldiner (BW&BK 1998)

T3hLep4rAffinity said:
Let's play the game "Look for a good band signed under Roadrunner".

3 Inches Of Blood
Cradle of Filth
Nightwish
King Diamond

There's many bands I never heard, but those ones are good (even tough COF is debatable). And if Opeth ever does a tour with 3 inches of Blood, I'm gonna be the happiest man on Earth.

Haha, so whoever was joking in that thread 'what CDs next?' (by inflames991) about how they should get The Long Road by Opeth's "labelmates" Nickelback next might actually be right!

(About Nickelback and Opeth being labelmates, that is. Not about buying anything by Nickelback. :) )

bangadrian said:
may i be the first to say:

don't decide until you've heard the damn album

Especially considering they recorded the album before signing to RR.

Also now Opeth can tour with Type O Negative and Dresden Dolls. Those are pretty much the only bands on the Roadrunner roster I can spot that don't suck (although neither are metal so that probably wouldn't work).

Roadrunner have great marketing and distribution, which is all a band should really care about. The logo in the corner of the CD shouldn't matter to a genuine fan.

I'm also confident that RR won't interfere in any creative process. The band are several albums down the line now, and I'm sure they'll be thinking "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Plus Mike's old and wise enough not to put up with any of that sort of crap, and it was no doubt very high on his list of contractual demands. If he could deal with MFN, then Roadrunner will be a piece of cake.

Wow.

Im curious as to what the bands motivations are and what RR really has to offer for them. *IF* (and thats a big if) they sign to RR it tells me a few things:

1) they obviously dont think the other bands signed to RR are that bad (at least certainly not like us- who want to vomit). They will be touring with them, spending time with them, and generating income for each other as well as for the label- and continuing the cycle of signing these types of bands, touring etc.

2) they want to get bigger- and they dont seem to think working around shit and shit music matters.

3). As much as they claim otherwise, this most certainly will have an impact on their quality of music. I dont believe for a second that you can be in that atmosphere with that label pressure and not release a watered down Deliverance part 2.

4). Theve lost their minds.

what do you all think? too much of a slippery slope, or reality?

I don't think they are going to sign with Roadrunner.

Actually those are the only bands that I like from that label...

Deicide
Machine Head
Obituary
Type O Negative
Brujeria
Fear Factory
Infernal Majesty
Jerry Cantrell
King Diamond
Life Of Agony
Sepultura (w/Max)

Lee_B said:
Roadrunner have great marketing and distribution, which is all a band should really care about. The logo in the corner of the CD shouldn't matter to a genuine fan.

Pretty much sums it up.

I trust the judgement of the band and their representatives. I just hope whoever signs them gets the rights to all their previous albums work. So we can have a REAL LIVE DVD with a REAL OPETH SETLIST!

CAIRATH said:
Especially considering they recorded the album before signing to RR.

Probably not...chances are that they've been signed with RR since they've been in the studio. Someone's got to pay for that shit.

Supermoi said:
T3hLep4rAffinity said:
Let's play the game "Look for a good band signed under Roadrunner".

3 Inches Of Blood
Cradle of Filth
Nightwish
King Diamond
There's many bands I never heard, but those ones are good (even tough COF is debatable). And if Opeth ever does a tour with 3 inches of Blood, I'm gonna be the happiest man on Earth.

nightwish_cover.jpg

I don't care.
Wouldn't even care if they signed a typical Country- label or whatever because I don't believe that Mike let's influence his musical mind by the label they signed.
They had several offers and it seems like RR had the best one. Opeth aren't completely retarted idiots who chose the worst offer.

Roadrunner used to have the greatest bands, or the ones that had the most potential to be greats, but they abandoned them. Long standing history of it. They dump their resources into a few bands and then make the rest fight for themselves.

This could be ok, but there is a high probability it won't work out for the better.

It doesn't matter what label they sign to, Mikael, Peter, Lopez, and Mendez will always make good music. Maybe it won't be the same as their old, "classic" albums, maybe it will. No matter what, Opeth is Opeth and they will come back and rip your heads off.

How many good bands are out there? Are they all on the same label? No because they sign with different labels to get certain things. Obviously Opeth is interested in Road Runner, so fucking let them. You should all just go post on one of those forums where they talk about how bands used to be so much better on their early albums. Shut up.

It doesn't matter what label Opeth are on. Because I don't think they'd ever sell out. Even if they did and their new album is full of 4 minute pop songs I'll still love their previous albums and pretend their new stuff doesn't exist. But that will never happen. I just don't understand why any band would want to sign with Roadrunner after they've dicked so many bands in the past.
But I guess theres some postive things to this, they'll probably tour more in the US since they'll be on a label willing to spend more money on them. So we'll probably get to see Opeth more often.