Is this true?? Opeth on Ozzfest???

deathbearer

Oct 15, 2002
New Paltz, New York
Visit site
:shakes head: I need some clarification here. I just read a news story on some metalcore band on SMNNEWS.com.
http://www.smnnews.com.
On the last paragraph of this news piece it was mentioned that Opeth would take part in this years OZZFEST: SMNnews.com can reveal other artists that are in the running to take part in this tour that is set to rival this years OZZFEST 2005 include OPETH, LAMB OF GOD, CHIMAIRA, UNEARTH, and others.
Is this true?

Soilwork - Vocalist tells New Hampshire radio DJ Soilwork will play Ozzfest
posted on 03-03-2005 @ 5:40 PM by - Dan
According to Tom Novak, the music director of Franklin Pierce College Radio (WFPC 105.3 FM), Swedish melodic death titans SOILWORK will be playing this year's Ozzfest. Here are some of the contents of an e-mail Mr. Novak sent to SMNnews.com:

"Well, yesterday I had the oppurintiy [sic] to talk with byorn stird [Bjorn "Speed" Strid - ed] of SOILWORK over the phone and I asked him about OZZFEST and he said it was a go, [and] that they just needed to finish ironing out some minor details, otherwise it's a go . So I thought this might prove useful.

Tom Novak
Music Director
WFPC 105.3 FM
Franklin Pierce College Radio"

An official word from the band is still pending. Here are the supposedly confirmed bands for Ozzfest 2005, with more bands still TBA:
Main Stage:
BLACK SABBATH, IRON MAIDEN, ANTHRAX, SHADOWS FALL, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY
Side Stage:
ROB ZOMBIE, MUDVAYNE, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, AS I LAY DYING, THE HAUNTED, MASTODON, BURY YOUR DEAD, SOILWORK, A DOZEN FURIES

Many other bands are still rumored (DISTURBED, among others) to be on Ozzfest, but these are the only bands SMNnews.com would like to present as confirmed for the 'fest at this time.

from that same site.

no sign of Opeth. i think they may have been referring to another fest.

Well I looked up my statement and although the 2005 Ozzfest dates aren't announced yet, the tour usually lasts 2 full months (meanwhile Opeth's 2004 tour lasted a little over a month). So considering Mike is at Wacken on August 5th, Ozzfest would have to be from August to October or June to August-- both quite unlikely.

Unless of course they just have Opeth miss a few of the dates...

eh...I seriously doubt they'll be on ozzfest.

I'd go if they did though. I like quite a fe w of those other bands...and...I need to see Iron Maiden before I die.

deathbearer said:
:shakes head: I need some clarification here. I just read a news story on some metalcore band on SMNNEWS.com.
http://www.smnnews.com.
On the last paragraph of this news piece it was mentioned that Opeth would take part in this years OZZFEST: SMNnews.com can reveal other artists that are in the running to take part in this tour that is set to rival this years OZZFEST 2005 include OPETH, LAMB OF GOD, CHIMAIRA, UNEARTH, and others.
Is this true?
if you would have read the beginning of the article it says "EVERY TIME I DIE have hinted at an "incredible 18 band tour" that theu will be a part of this Summer, in an official post that reads as follows:

"it won't be long before we can announce the incredible 18 band tour we are proud to be a part of later this year. all we can say now is that it is the best bands and the lowest ticket price you will see all summer. full details will come shortly."

SMNnews.com can reveal other artists that are in the running to take part in this tour that is set to rival this years OZZFEST 2005 include OPETH, LAMB OF GOD, CHIMAIRA, UNEARTH, and others."

its a rival to ozzfest opeth isn't playing at ozzfest but they are playing with some pretty mainstream bands on this 18 band tour or whatever im gonna be sure to go just to see opeth :headbang:

Yeah if they're doing the 18-band tour thing I don't know if I'd bother going if the setlist will only be something like Drapery Falls, [new song], dotf.

I just posted in the other thread about this, and I agree that unless Opeth headlines, playing at Ozzfest, or this other 18 band tour is really a waste of time. You know all those "popular" metalcore bands are gonna get the later slots, while Opeth gets stuck with an early time, and like, 25 minutes to play. Woo. An Opeth tour where they play 2 songs. Waste of time.

If this turns out to be their entire North American tour this summer, I'm going to be VERY dissapointed.

I've seen them headline twice, at small, intimate venues, those were two of my favorite live performances, ever.

Anything else will be a dissapointment.

Demonic Dooz said:
if you would have read the beginning of the article it says "EVERY TIME I DIE have hinted at an "incredible 18 band tour" that theu will be a part of this Summer, in an official post that reads as follows:

"it won't be long before we can announce the incredible 18 band tour we are proud to be a part of later this year. all we can say now is that it is the best bands and the lowest ticket price you will see all summer. full details will come shortly."

SMNnews.com can reveal other artists that are in the running to take part in this tour that is set to rival this years OZZFEST 2005 include OPETH, LAMB OF GOD, CHIMAIRA, UNEARTH, and others."

its a rival to ozzfest opeth isn't playing at ozzfest but they are playing with some pretty mainstream bands on this 18 band tour or whatever im gonna be sure to go just to see opeth :headbang:
Ugh, I'm sorry for the misundertanding.
The actual article was somewhat misleading untill they further clarified today. Check the thread about some 18 band tour.
This "leaders of the Underground tour" or whatever is almost indentical to OZZFEST. What's the diference? Opeth, SYL, and Gwar? All of whom I've seen before.
Perhaps Opeth are being promoted to a more mainstream audience, wich isn't my thing with the nu metal/hardcore crap on the bill, but I'm not passing judgment on Opeth.
I'll catch Opeth indoors on a different tour.
Kinda sucks really, i'm not into a bunch of nu metal/hardcore bands, perhaps some good death,black,grind, thrash metal would be exellent for this tour.
After Opeth are done with this nu metal/hardcore 18 band tour, we'll get a bunch of noobs on this board "Dood, Opeth are the shiznit, they ruled next to Unearth."

It really made me sad to hear Opeth and SYL wouldn't be at Ozzfest this year... I was hoping ATLEAST SYL would be there, but damn.... just ruin the whole thing for me.. -_-

If they don't announce some better bands for Ozzfest, I won't be there... cause I wouldn't want to sit through more than 2 bands that I don't like. It was painful to watch Hatebreed and Slipknot at ozzfest last year... and superjoint sucked. And so did Otep.

Mmno. Supposedly they are touring on a rival Ozzfest tour. Not the actual Ozzfest. Tour dates haven't been announced yet, but I'm so there. Anywho, the lineup tentatively includes:
Lamb of God(main stage headliner)
Gwar (second stage headliner)
Unearth
<33Opeth<33
Chimaria
Clutch
All That Remains
Norma Jean
Poison the Well
Throwdown
Strapping Young Lad
A Life Once Lost
Devildriver
Every Time I Die
Terror / Madball (half of the tour each)

More info at http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=12499