Opeth on Ozzfest?

Justin S. said:
Quoting NFU:

"i dont dress like mikael you foolish boy"- My fault, absolutely no similarity whatsoever. :lol:

"my jacket i wear is because its winter...and it tends to get cold during winter" -Yes, its quite frigid in southern California- but thats beside the point

"maybe just trying to poke holes at me due to some inferiority complex"
-Its always that with poeple who dont like you isnt it?

"you children really blow my mind sometimes...its amazing."

"you pathetic idiots cant seem to help from doing. grow up."

and then...

"thanks demilich. glad theres still some rationale and maturity left on this forum."

Yes, you are the shining example of reason and maturity. NFU, my dislike of you does not originate with, or center around your clothing choice. Ive been reading this board long enough now to see what a joke your online persona is. If others cant see through it, than nothing i type will change that. I simply want you to know that there are people on this forum that see what a piece of shit you are, and get tired of your posing and arrogance.

"apprently justin S. wants a piece of nine feet now"
Sure do, you big hunk of man... and your jacket. :tickled:

mikestfu.jpg

yea Justin S. and youre such the crowning achievement of an online bully. im so glad theres someone as sharp and witty as you to put me in my place, and keep me from "posing" any further. I suppose i should go get my reeboks and puma jumpsuit and go back to listening to eminem before i discovered how CoOL mikael looked and wanted to be jUsT LiKe HiM. how could i let my "online persona" get so out of whack?! Listening to music, and talking about bands i enjoy...what a facade ive put on!! :tickled:

Anyway...get over it pal, youre the only one here interested or who cares...go back to stealing kid's lunch money or whatever it was you did before you got obsessed with me. :Smug:

moonlapse: perhaps this kid needs some removal.

::munches popcorn rapidly::

...Well, I think all of you should just stop right here...While it's very entertaining, I do not want this forum going to hell with joey and justin s. adding another 3 pages of arguments. You should all just "pause it" if you will, go back to the locker rooms, drink some arrowhead water and throw in the towels for awhile.

If Opeth plays ozzfest...Mikael should dye his hair green and put them in dreadlocks. That would be super. ::bends in half::

one more thing id like to add about the ozzfest situation...

i got into Opeth during the still life period...this was a time where Opeth were quite unknown still...selling their amps to pay for their record to be recorded and produced (so i read), and no US tour or anything at the time.

Over the last 5 years or so, Opeth has gone from that, to being one of the biggest metal exports in europe, sponsorships from 3 of the most prestigious guitar companies in the world, a dvd release, an army of die hard fans with tattoos and whatever else spanning the globe from one continent to the other, etc.

this "rift" in the popularity of Opeth has already happened my friends. Ozzfest isnt going to do anything to the band that didnt already happen from the hype and conquest of blackwater park and damnation/deliverance...its only going to move them forward in a positive direction for them personally.

I do think that if Opeth somehow "compromises" with their music...it wouldn't be as a result from playing Ozzfest. As you can tell from the subsequential releases after Orchid, Opeth has been constantly changing (at least imo). If the next Opeth release has some 7 string action, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd support it.

Dreadful said:
I do think that if Opeth somehow "compromises" with their music...it wouldn't be as a result from playing Ozzfest. As you can tell from the subsequential releases after Orchid, Opeth has been constantly changing (at least imo). If the next Opeth release has some 7 string action, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd support it.

i doubt theyll use 7 strings....but imagine the possibilities it would give a band like opeth given their playing style....quite interesting indeed.

but yes, opeth has always been altering and improving or at least changing their sound. Besides, what secures Opeth's consistancy anymore than them getting on ozzfest without having to change their sound for commercial value beforehand anyway? so why would they change their sound afterwards?

NineFeetUnderground said:
moonlapse: perhaps this kid needs some removal.

I agree somewhat. I've PMed him and in case the message didn't get through, I would like it if everybody could keep their personal debates between themselves and discuss them privately. I highly doubt Opeth want to be associated with people's trivial dilemmas and most of all it doesn't give a good impression of the forum to outsiders.

Justin has been a fairly constructive member to the forums for a while, and whilst I agree that in this thread his behaviour's been out of line, I won't ask for his removal from the forums simply for that.

Anyway if from now on we could just stick to the topic at hand and at least mask our insults behind some context then it would be great :Spin:

I would prefer if Opeth didn't play OZZFEST.I Don't like the trendiness of the fest, but I would understand if they did. Imagine if Opeth played Ozzfest. Opeth would get these kids (nubies) whom have no knowledge or back round in death or extreme metal, It would be annoying.
If Opeth want to make a living, I would undertand completly, but I wouldn't go to OZZFEST, even if Opeth WERE playing. I would rather see Opeth in clubs, mid sized venues, or theatres.

I suppose if you were to be given the chance, you wouldn't really be able to decline the offer. As a band it means a well of new opportunities for you, including an entirely new market. The drawback is of course that you'd cop alot of flak from more 'hardcore' members of your fanbase.

as for opeth playing ozzfest: whatever guys, exposure is good, it would be a good thing in that regard as long as they remain uncompromising in their style (not that i doubt they would)

as for me going to ozzfest: i would rather take a belt sander to my face

needless to say, i'm *selfishly* hoping for a club tour

Opeth on Ozzfest... Well I guess it would give me a reason to go at least. I've always wanted to see Sabbath so that would be a score, and yeah i heard about maiden maybe being on the tour as well. The question of nu-metal comes up of course, but to me it's not really a question. I won't watch bands that I don't want to watch and I'll watch the ones I want to, its that simple. Luckily it's a festival situation, with multiple stages, so i can wander around and get ripped off buying water for 8 bucks and a slice of pizza for 15. I didn't have that luxury at the troc where I had to put up with shit like tapping the vain and devildriver before I could see the band I came to see.

On the issue of being "tr00" and other people hearing Opeth that normally wouldn't, I would have to say that I would much rather have them listening to a band I think is incredible and perhaps, I dont know... end up LIKING Opeth. I've introduced a bunch of my friends to Opeth, and some of them became obsessed (in a healthy way) with them like i did, but others are just casual listeners, which is just as fine. Not everyone takes music as seriously as the people on this board do, and I respect that. I think any exposure Opeth can get is good. I would rather everyone be walking around with Opeth shirts then Linkin Park shirts. I didn't know that liking great music was a fraternity and you could pick and choose who's able to be in...

Oh, and by the way, that was a pretty funny argument to read.

Posing and arrogance because what he knows musically helps another people to open a few musical boundaries?
I don't want to start an argument with you, but sir, you need to be quiet.
If you knew about music or something that the rest of the people isn't in contact, wouldn't you like to be able to help these people?

Justin S. said:
I simply want you to know that there are people on this forum that see what a piece of shit you are, and get tired of your posing and arrogance.

BurningSky said:
Opeth on Ozzfest... Well I guess it would give me a reason to go at least. I've always wanted to see Sabbath so that would be a score, and yeah i heard about maiden maybe being on the tour as well. The question of nu-metal comes up of course, but to me it's not really a question. I won't watch bands that I don't want to watch and I'll watch the ones I want to, its that simple. Luckily it's a festival situation, with multiple stages, so i can wander around and get ripped off buying water for 8 bucks and a slice of pizza for 15. I didn't have that luxury at the troc where I had to put up with shit like tapping the vain and devildriver before I could see the band I came to see.

On the issue of being "tr00" and other people hearing Opeth that normally wouldn't, I would have to say that I would much rather have them listening to a band I think is incredible and perhaps, I dont know... end up LIKING Opeth. I've introduced a bunch of my friends to Opeth, and some of them became obsessed (in a healthy way) with them like i did, but others are just casual listeners, which is just as fine. Not everyone takes music as seriously as the people on this board do, and I respect that. I think any exposure Opeth can get is good. I would rather everyone be walking around with Opeth shirts then Linkin Park shirts. I didn't know that liking great music was a fraternity and you could pick and choose who's able to be in...

Oh, and by the way, that was a pretty funny argument to read.

Well said.

damn i'm sorry i missed all this shit. heh. i actually wouldn't mind going to Ozzfest this year because of Maiden, Sabbath, Megadeth, and Exodus. If Opeth was added it would make me want to go even more. I could care less if some mall-core kid started to like Opeth by seeing them at Ozzfest. But I would actually much rather see Opeth in a smaller venue because it would be cheaper and the set would be longer. Ozzfest tickets can be pretty pricey.

DiscipleofTruMetal said:
damn i'm sorry i missed all this shit. heh. i actually wouldn't mind going to Ozzfest this year because of Maiden, Sabbath, Megadeth, and Exodus. If Opeth was added it would make me want to go even more. I could care less if some mall-core kid started to like Opeth by seeing them at Ozzfest. But I would actually much rather see Opeth in a smaller venue because it would be cheaper and the set would be longer. Ozzfest tickets can be pretty pricey.

*and Anthrax with old lineup. though none of those bands, incl. thrax have been officially confirmed yet haha.