Opeth on Ozzfest?

Feb 19, 2005
Ohio
Yeah, I know I'm a "n00b" but I just wanted to ask this:

I'm a member of the SMNnews.com Ozzfest message board and someone on there claimed that he talked to the band Trivium and that they let him in on some bands that are going to be on Ozzfest. Opeth being one, also In Flames and Soilwork. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone could confirm this to be false. I really hope Opeth don't make the mistake of playing Ozzfest. I'd be happy if they got an hour to 90 minute set time, but that wouldn't happen. I don't want to see them playing 3 songs, having ignorant people mistaking them for Otep, and possibly not getting the respect they deserve. I'd much rather see them in a small venue with 1000 other Opeth fans singing along. I hope they don't waste their US Summer Tour on Ozzfest.

I don't think it's going to happen either, certianly not their kind of place, but then again they did play with Devildriver.haha

dimmu and cradle have played ozzfest...the next in line of european metal popularity would be opeth and in flames...so it makes sense i suppose.

that means i might actually go to ozzfest now.

sabbath + opeth = im happy.

I really doubt it. First of all, Opeth is without a label right now....their new label might not be willing to shell out the money to pay for a slot on Ozzfest, ESPECIALLY since their new album most likely won't be out before Ozzfest starts. Why pay for Opeth's slot when they don't have an album to promote? A much smarter move would be to tour right after the album's release. And finally, I really just don't see Opeth hopping on the Ozzfest band wagon. That festival is a piece of shit and always has been - it goes completely against the morals of music and is simply a huge money making machine. I would lose an enormous amount of respect for Opeth if they played Ozzfest, and I would not pay to see them there.

haggard said:
That festival is a piece of shit and always has been - it goes completely against the morals of music and is simply a huge money making machine. I would lose an enormous amount of respect for Opeth if they played Ozzfest, and I would not pay to see them there.

and what do you think that download festival was they attended?

try not to be stupid.

why would you lose respect for opeth if they played at ozzfest? admitting something like that is admitting that you don't appreciate opeth for their music only. it would be a great opportunity to for tons of people to see a great band...and they would do what a lot of ozzfest bands do, which is have "off fest" dates...which would be cool too.

why would you lose respect for opeth if they played at ozzfest? admitting something like that is admitting that you don't appreciate opeth for their music only. it would be a great opportunity for tons of people to see a great band...and they would do what a lot of ozzfest bands do, which is have "off fest" dates...which would be cool too.

Ozzfest is the opposite of what Opeth projects; class and talent. Mall-core idiots losing their shit over the Murderdolls latest opus is not the crowd for such a band.

Justin S. said:
Ozzfest is the opposite of what Opeth projects; class and talent. Mall-core idiots losing their shit over the Murderdolls latest opus is not the crowd for such a band.

does blackwater park limited edition come with a complimentary high horse?

i dont understand whats going on here with you people.

NineFeetUnderground said:
and what do you think that download festival was they attended?

try not to be stupid.

Look, man...I know you like to be a badass on the forums and everything, but the simple fact of the matter is that Ozzfest has been pretty much the worst act to tour the states in recent years. Have you ever been? Ozzfest takes a percentage of the bands' merch, for christ's sake. They cater to the MTV2 crowd that thinks In Flames is the greatest thing to happen to metal since Korn. The bands have to pay an exorbitant fee just to play the damn thing. What the fuck is there to defend ozzfest? The bottom line is that its a money machine, nothing more. Get your head out of your ass and realize that if Opeth/their label paid the fee to get on, the only thing it would accomplish is selling more records to kids that will simply add Opeth to their Live Journal list of favorite bands, right next to Linkin Park. I will not apologize for the fact that I LOVE that Opeth is nowhere near the mainstream, and the last thing I want is for kids to listen to the music for a few months without enjoying it the way I know I (and most people on this forum) do. Fuck Ozzfest.

They should play at Ozzfest if they get to play like at least 7 songs...if not then they should just do a US Summer tour (with some of the bands mentioned in the other threads).

haggard said:
Look, man...I know you like to be a badass on the forums and everything, but the simple fact of the matter is that Ozzfest has been pretty much the worst act to tour the states in recent years. Have you ever been? Ozzfest takes a percentage of the bands' merch, for christ's sake. They cater to the MTV2 crowd that thinks In Flames is the greatest thing to happen to metal since Korn. The bands have to pay an exorbitant fee just to play the damn thing. What the fuck is there to defend ozzfest? The bottom line is that its a money machine, nothing more. Get your head out of your ass and realize that if Opeth/their label paid the fee to get on, the only thing it would accomplish is selling more records to kids that will simply add Opeth to their Live Journal list of favorite bands, right next to Linkin Park. I will not apologize for the fact that I LOVE that Opeth is nowhere near the mainstream, and the last thing I want is for kids to listen to the music for a few months without enjoying it the way I know I (and most people on this forum) do. Fuck Ozzfest.

"look, man...i know you like to be an idiot on the forums and everything, but the simple fact of the matter is" Opeth is allowed to tour wherever they want, whenever they want, under any conditions they want...for they need to make a living, and theyve already toured everything else...ozzfest is the next step up for them. if you werent such a mother's basement idealist, and actually understood what it is to be an underground band trying to make a living, i think you would stfu. Opeth didnt change for the worst after the download festival, which had linkin park playing...and by your theory would be an even worse tour because of that....i highly doubt ozzfest will do anything negative to them...except for bursting little kids' like yours bubbles of "opeth is my band, mine mine mine"...etc

and by the way, who the fuck are you to say how other kids will enjoy a band? theres many casual opeth fans...and many that take them too seriously (you)...this applies to any band...please sit down and be quiet.

Most of these kids are just trendy kids who hated extreme music 3 years ago. When 2003 hit...death and black metal were all of a sudden cool. Yeah keep bashing ozzfest and nu metal...we've been over that shit.

IF they play..dn I use IF.............then Id certialny go.IVe never seen opeth live.....but I know..whenver they come tour USA...they will surely cvoem to AUsitn TX...coz teh boking guy there...I keep buggin him bout next metal bands...adn he said Opth is comin this year too..!!!..........so as long as I get to see them live...Ill be happy...bu tliek someone said... asmaller venue pacvked with opeth fans is much mroe enjoyable than teh atmosphere of Opeth......!!!!!!!........hurry Opeth come to Ausitn man.....!!!!1.......hahaha.........PEAC EOUT

Dude, look, I've read your posts, and you're a smart guy, but I really don't understand why, after you've made your point, you decide to throw in a little insult just to top it off. And by the way man, I would have gladly had a civil conversation with you had you not thrown in that "try not to be stupid comment" right off the bat. If you feel compulsively inclined to insult people as a defense mechanism instead of engaging them in normal discourse, go ahead...but I'm willing to bet that if you did that in real life, sooner or later someone is going to punch you in the fucking face. I went ahead and put all your insults in bold.That said, on to your comments(dick):

NineFeetUnderground said:
"look, man...i know you like to be an idiot on the forums and everything, but the simple fact of the matter is" Opeth is allowed to tour wherever they want, whenever they want, under any conditions they want...for they need to make a living, and theyve already toured everything else...ozzfest is the next step up for them. if you werent such a mother's basement idealist, and actually understood what it is to be an underground band trying to make a living, i think you would stfu. Opeth didnt change for the worst after the download festival, which had linkin park playing...and by your theory would be an even worse tour because of that....i highly doubt ozzfest will do anything negative to them...except for bursting little kids' like yours bubbles of "opeth is my band, mine mine mine"...etc

and by the way, who the fuck are you to say how other kids will enjoy a band? theres many casual opeth fans...and many that take them too seriously (you)...this applies to any band...please sit down and be quiet.

I KNOW that Opeth can tour wherever they want...what am I gonna do if they tour Ozzfest, write them an angry letter? No....I just won't go. I know you don't see Opeth the same as me (hell, you're too wrapped up in your "HAY I LISTEN TO 70s PROG!! YOU DON"T ASSHOLE!" bullshit), but I appreciate the time Opeth puts into their music, and FUCK no I don't want some 14 year old kid listening to them just because they toured with Slipknot. I feel that if you don't put fucking effort into listening to Opeth, you don't deserve to listen to them. Fuck yes, I am an elitist when it comes to this, but for what Opeth has taken the time to put into their music, the listener should invest his time to fully appreciate the music. As for your "underground bands need support! if Opeth doesn't do Ozzfest they will be poor and Mike will have to give handjobs to support his vinyl habit" (ok, I elaborated on your theory a bit)....dude, they're about to sign with a fairly big label, which will no doubt give them a hefty signing advance - do you know what "bidding war" means?

I don't think this band is "mine, mine, mine" as you put it, but I think Opeth is on another level...one above Ozzfest. If you feel content to lump Opeth in with Disturbed or whoever the fuck is playing Ozzfest this year, go ahead. But I want to see my favorite band retain some artistic integrity and not hop on the MTV-mobile.

....dick.