Opeth on Roadrunner?

Damnationx

Here's to hoping...
Jan 24, 2004
CT, USA
blabbermouth.net:

Sweden's OPETH are on the verge of inking a new record deal with Roadrunner Records, informed sources have told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. The band, who were previously signed to the now-defunct British label Music For Nations Records, recently entered Fascination Street studios in Örebro, Sweden to begin recording their eight album, tentatively due later in the year.

OPETH will take part in the inaugural Sounds of the Underground tour, which is slated to kick off June 25 in Lowell, Massachusetts. Other bands scheduled to take part in the trek include CLUTCH, LAMB OF GOD, GWAR, POISON THE WELL, FROM AUTUMN TO ASHES, UNEARTH, EVERY TIME I DIE, CHIMAIRA, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, MADBALL and DEVILDRIVER.
---------------------------

I hope not. But...ugh.

I guess I should really just wait to hear the music. Just being signed to Roadrunner isn't a death sentence, they USED to have good bands like Death, Obituary, etc.

Gotta have faith that the Opeth boys won't sacrifice their integrity.

Roadrunner just has a habit of signing good bands that go to shit afterwards. inking with Roadrunner does not bode well for the future.

haggard said:
Roadrunner just has a habit of signing good bands that go to shit afterwards. inking with Roadrunner does not bode well for the future.

I hear ya...but isn't it sort of unfair to just say that they're fucked just because of who they're signed to?

Wow... just wow. I'm not gonna say anything until I hear the music, but I can't say I like the direction they're choosing by marketing themselves more to the whole American "headbanger's ball" scene.

Damnationx said:
I hear ya...but isn't it sort of unfair to just say that they're fucked just because of who they're signed to?

They might not be fucked...but signing to RR increases their chances of dissolving into shit. Put it this way - i'd feel a lot better with a different label. :(

Also, what R0l0 said above me.

Let's play the game "Look for a good band signed under Roadrunner".

3 Inches Of Blood
36 Crazyfists
Chimaira
Coal Chamber
Cradle of Filth
Deicide
DevilDriver
Dresden Dolls
Ill Niño
Killswitch Engage
Machine Head
Murderdolls
Nickelback
Nightwish
Obituary
Slipknot
Soulfly
Spineshank
Still Remains
Stone Sour
The Agony Scene
Theory Of A Deadman
Thornley
Trivium
Type O Negative
Wednesday 13

Anyone
Believer
Biohazard
Brujeria
Carnivore
Dirty Americans
Dislocated Styles
doubleDrive
Downer
downthesun
Dry Kill Logic
Earth Crisis
Ether Seeds
Faust
Fear Factory
Five Pointe O
Gang Green
Glassjaw
goneblind
Gruntruck
High Holy Days
Infernal Majesty
Jerry Cantrell
Junkie XL
Karma To Burn
Kemuri
King Diamond
Life Of Agony
Madball
Misfits
Nailbomb
Red Tape
Resident Evil
Road Rules Compilation
Rumblefish
Sepultura
Sinch
The Workhorse Movement
Vision Of Disorder
Whiplash

maybe this is something like festivals - Opeth said that they have had several offers. Maybe just because roadrunner are one of the possibilities, they feel the need to tell everyone its 'almost confirmed' like festivals do when confirming bands.

I can only hope, anyway...

anyway i have faith that Opeth wont do anything stupid while on roadrunner (if they sign), but im sure a lot of bands have signed with them saying the same thing. I wonder what kind of pressures are put on a band to do 'the commercial thing' by labels like roadrunner... They have destroyed many a good band.

I was starting to think that something was fishy when I read that the SOTU tour was basically a partnership project between a bunch of labels, including RR.
Anyways, the least that this probably means is that they're gonna have a "real" music video produced and put on MTV2 rotation again, heh.

I have confidence that Opeth will release a killer album soon. And we shouldnt assume that they will fuck anyhting up. But RoadRunner could fuck them. That said, am I the only one who thinks 3 inches of Blood is one of the best newer bands on RoadRunner?

If they do sign to RR they will probably have to tour with a load more
nu-metal bands.........and I thought DevilDriver were bad...dislocated styles...erh!