Opeth - selling-out?

Simple.

If it sounds good to you, it sounds good to you. Case closed. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't listen to music unless its got a certain label attached...then your a sell out...whatever the term 'sell out' means.

I actually don´t think there is something wrong with "selling-out" as long as you make good music.... i can´t really see why people are so upset about this....:rolleyes:

This was a hot potato...

Opeth selling out?
I think you really gotta know us in person to see that Opeth + the words "selling out" don't match.

Some people don't think about that we've been going for over 13 years now. "Orchid" was done 8 years ago. Almost exactly even. We have some fans who have grown with us and therefore can accept whatever changes we make in our music. That's when the communication works. We have never, I repeat never ever kissed up to anyone to sell more records...no labels, fans...never. We do it for ourselves, always have. We have a label that's doing a great job promoting our music, we have a manager that's taking care of the buisness side, we have a agency that's booking our gigs. But even without this, if we were a cellar band that only rehearsed we'd sound the same. Can you understand that we haven't had any outside influence?

Our label/manager/agency have Opeth - the product they can sell.
But what we, the members of the band are still only interested in the same thing - music. We've been branded the worst buisness men in the industry...why - because we don't give a fuck about stuff like that.

If you're shooting accusations at someone you gotta aim for the right spot. Especially in this case.
Spare me bullshit like this, please.

Mike

Originally posted by Lakestream
idiotic thread

Idiotic? maybe......

But this arguement, I think, hits most bands at one time or another that have any form of success. And, yet again proof that this forum is a cool place, is that a member of this band we are questioning, Mikael, was cool enough to let us know how the band feels in regards to this particular subject. That alone makes this thread a very interesting and informative one.

Thanks Mikael.

I never said that we haven't changed since "Orchid". I said some fans have grown with us since the beginning and whatever musical changes we've made.

However, I'm not gonna argue with your opinions about our music, but your wish for us to regress won't happen I'm afraid.

Best regards
Mike

This thread isn't idiotic...it's very interesting to read the views on the subject, especially from the man himself. I only made it cause I was annoyed that people seemed to think it'd happen. The real Opeth fans know for a fact that Opeth make music for themselves, and they always will. Opeth rule and they always will.

Ahem, if Opeth sold out, and Opeth decided to become 'rock stars', do you think he'd bother his ass posting on this shitty little forum?

I'm with Mike all the way!

Well, that was interesting.

The fact that this forum environment allows Mikael to come along and give his opinion right back to the fans is one of the amazing benefits of this medium, I must say.

I think the major issue this conversation has had all the way along is a definition of what "selling out" means. Myself, I would define it as (in this case) the act of a musical outfit, who consider themselves artists, knowingly and intentionally altering the music they record for the specific purpose of financial gain.

Firstly, seeing as the only person who knows the intent of the artist is the artist, the call of selling out by a fan is an assumption. Secondly, artistic value is relative, and is not subject to finances (although there often seems to be a correlation) - I think this has been MMCPA's biggest point.

Thus, so long as the members of Opeth are motivated by means other than to be financially benefited in the creation of their art, then the term "sell out" is a misnomer. However, if you think the new music they produce sucks, then you are entitled to say it sucks. But don't call it selling out because you don't like it.

first of all, the term sell out was started by people who needed an excuse for denouncing a band simply because they got popular and now they aren't the cool people who are listening to "underground" music.

i don't think opeth's music will change just so that it's more listener friendly. if they do become popular, i won't really care as long as their music is still good.