Opeth Tribute Album

Feel free to contribute your growls! Its one thing to say someone else sucks, but in the time it took you to write that you could have started recording your own. No doubt you may be a godlike growler, and I hope we will hear you soon! If not I am sure the guy you aimed it at appreciates your imput, but try to be constructive eh?

Hi people.
Self confessed lurker here. I got bored this week and recorded my own version of Harvest. The solo isn't much but I'm quite happy with the vocals.
*link removed- ran out of bandwidth*

Yes the solo is the bit we are having lots of trouble with too.
I'm listening to it now and love it so far! Really well produced too!

Thanks. I hate mixing. It's never right! lol. Now if only I could do Mikaels growly vocals :(

Incidentally I recorded this with a Variax, a POD XTL and Reason for the drums.

Actually thats a good point, I think on the bio page for each person it should mention what they used, as specifically as possible, since a lot of people recording are always asking what is best to use, so if they can see what people used and how it sounds that would be useful as well as informative!

That's really good, it's one of my favorite slow songs of all time.
I wish i could contribute in some way, but i have no recording material.

Are you good at art or any other side of things? If you can think of anything to contribute its all good! The more the merrier or something! :D

DEMIgOD said:
I thought you did great man. A little faster you'll have it down.

anyways. I was working on my deliverance cover. I never realised the singing and growling was so hard in this song.haha. i dunno why.. i was having trouble getting parts down. but i did like the first 3 1/2 of it.

here check it out if ud like. http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3HGTJXYWDQDHC02KKU7BSB4AA8
What were the drums and bass done with?

It was a pretty good cover. If you have the master tracks, I'd be willing to play bass on it, I just need the drum track and maybe one guitar.

I also think that covers shouldn't necessarily be exactly the same as the original song..I like your little variations on the vocal line. The growling wasn't as good as Mike's, but still good.

I add little variations on the bassline (like during the clean vocals in the beginning, I add a little sliding and vibrato on the bassline since I play fretless) and whatnot...

Lol, thats not to far actaully. I'd do guitar for a track, but I really don't have a thingy to hook up my guitar to my computer! :D

It really bugs me, because I actually do fairly good clean vox. In tune, as well. I have no home recording equipment, and absolutely no way of contributing, and that annoys me because I think my singing could be a positive addition to this record. For example, I'm not flaming the guy who covered Deliverance at all (because i think it's a great effort and 90%of the thing is good), but the clean vox aren't that good. I'm so sorry, I hate to sound mean, and please remember that I have massive respect for you for doing it... but I think the track would be much better if somebody else did the clean vocals, I'm not saying i would be better, i just wosh I could give it a go :(
Ok, just to make the point, I'm really drunk, and I have a thing about typing accurately, so it's taken me like 20mins to type this, but I hope nobody thinks I'm being an arsehole. I just want this thing to sound as good as it could for my fave band :)
And no, I can't do art or any of those other things. Clean vox is all thatr I'm vaguely useful for (I'm workin on my death vox tho!!!!).
Everythin is soundin good, hope we get a kik-ass tribute :)
Everyone who bothers to do this is awesome btw :)

Liquid Diamonds said:
It really bugs me, because I actually do fairly good clean vox. In tune, as well. I have no home recording equipment, and absolutely no way of contributing, and that annoys me because I think my singing could be a positive addition to this record. For example, I'm not flaming the guy who covered Deliverance at all (because i think it's a great effort and 90%of the thing is good), but the clean vox aren't that good. I'm so sorry, I hate to sound mean, and please remember that I have massive respect for you for doing it... but I think the track would be much better if somebody else did the clean vocals, I'm not saying i would be better, i just wosh I could give it a go :(
Ok, just to make the point, I'm really drunk, and I have a thing about typing accurately, so it's taken me like 20mins to type this, but I hope nobody thinks I'm being an arsehole. I just want this thing to sound as good as it could for my fave band :)
And no, I can't do art or any of those other things. Clean vox is all thatr I'm vaguely useful for (I'm workin on my death vox tho!!!!).
Everythin is soundin good, hope we get a kik-ass tribute :)
Everyone who bothers to do this is awesome btw :)

Lol that was a funny post.

I am being serious. Just because I've been drinking doesn't mean I'm not serious, Tubbs. Give me some credit, if I was too drunk to make any sense, I wouldn't post here. I actually respect this forum. I meant everything I said. Sorry if you think I'm some kind of ass...

WOAH! What the hell that's not what I meant, heh. I'm just sayin' how there are drunk people on the thread a lot. Don't put words in my mouth! When I said, "Let's be serious here", I meant let's be serious, there are drunk people on the thread a lot lmao! Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

Can anybody recomend home recording equipment that would be good enough to get a decent sound out of vocals and a piano (a real one, not a keyboard)?
Any advice is much appreciated :)
PS, I have little funding :lol:

What are you guys using for recording electric guitar on you computer?? Ive been looking for something like a M-Audio Fast Track lately... is this good?