Opeth turn you off to any genres?

John Gargo

Hawkwind
Mar 4, 2003
New York
Visit site
OK, I think we can safely asume that Opeth was not the first metal band that we were exposed to. One of the things that I love about Opeth is how it opened me up to extreme metal (death, black metal) not to mention a lot of experimental stuff as well (70s-90s prog, etc.). However, was there ever a genre of metal that you ended up being disinterested in all together because Opeth refined your taste? I've spoken to some fans who used to, but refuse to now listen to any power metal having since discovered Opeth. Anyone have any similar experiences?

For a while, yes. Opeth was pretty much all I could listen to at one point. After a while I got my head out of my ass and realized that Opeth doesn't invalidate any metal that's out there. They simply appealed to me in a way at the time that no other band could, hence why I only listened to them. But at this point, no, they haven't turned me off any genres at all. I've gone back to listening to pretty much everything I had listened to before I had found out about Opeth.

I still listen to the same old stuff, even though I think that Opeth are superior to most of the bands I knew before getting into them. I still love power metal :Spin:

Moonlapse said:
After a while I got my head out of my ass

Some of you here might consider trying this. Might help.

I was a Fan of Linkin Park's before that. Needless to say I stopped listening to them and bands similar to them.

Evil Ernie said:
^ Now Opeth are saving lives. Aren't they great.

Haha

From listening to Opeth for a few years i've got a little more picky about a bands skill and arrangments since. thats about it.

I still listen to all genres... I don´t see why because Opeth is better than other bands I should stop listening them...

I don´t listen too much Power metal because It´s all pretty much the same... I think there are only few power metal bands that are different...

Nirnaeth Arnoediad said:
I don´t listen too much Power metal because It´s all pretty much the same... I think there are only few power metal bands that are different...

You can say the same thing for any genre.

I used to like some melodic death/thrash bands (At the Gates, Arch Enemy, Carcass) which I still like, but most other metal genres have become quite intolerable. I maybe should take my head off my ass, but they really don't appeal to me anymore like they used to.

Instead, prog has become my true love.

I was pretty much a rock fan before opeth, after I started listening to them I sorta lost interest in rock and started to look more into metal (death and black to be specific).

I don't think Opeth have turned me off to any genre, but they're still one of the few metal bands that I can listen to. I'm trying to get into some other stuff, but I end up just comparing it to Opeth ("oh, this guy fucking sucks at singing compared to Mike" etc...).

Actually, for the past few months, I've listened to pretty much nothing but Opeth. I'll come off of it eventually (unless the new album comes out before that happens).