Opeth's worst song

I think the one I would miss the least is Into The Frost Of Winter. The way it bursts in, straight after that triumphing apostle song, is too sudden. Apart from that, it's okay. There's not one song by Opeth that I don't like.

I'd also say "Eternal soul torture" and also all of the other bonus tracks on the vinyl versions of their first three albums. I've only heard the bonus tracks once as they were so bad I always take the record off when "Tha apostle in triumph", "To bid you farewell" or "Epilogue" ends. As I mentioned in the vinyl debate I started not so long ago, the only bonus track that is decent is the cover of Iron Maiden's "Remember tomorrow", but I think the original is much, much better!
I can't really say that there's one of the bonus songs that are worse than the others, as I've only listened to them once and I think they all suck as I said.
If I have to choose from the "real" songs, I'd probably take something from "Orchid". I don't think that it has any bad songs, but it's my least favorite Opeth record, although I still think it's good. Besides the bonus tracks I can't find any bad Opeth songs.

I would have to say
-Dirge for November

No offense to Akerfeldt but what was he thinking? This song sucks. After the mid-three minutes section of this song it turns dronefully boring and repetitive, and then ends with a really boring, though beautiful, acoustic part. I have so much trouble listening to the whole thing-its crap

If I had the choice of getting rid of any Opeth song, it would have to be Dirge For November. The beginning of the song is good, and the ending is also good. The rest of it is pretty uneventful. If the song itself had been reduced in length by a few minutes, then I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

If a cover counts as an "Opeth-Song" I choose Circle Of The Tyrant :) Otherwise... hmm... Prologue :D

EDIT: Stop bashing Dirge For November! It's one of the greatest songs on BWP! :mad:

"Dirge for November" is actually my favorite Opeth song, but this again shows that taste is different! I think the when the distorted guitars, drums and all that come in is great. Not the riff right when the guitars/drums come in, but when it changes into that riff with a lead guitar on top of it. I have the lp, so I can't give you any timings, but if you put the song on while reading this, you'll know what riff I mean. This is one of the best riffs I've ever heard in metal and it's probably one of the metal riffs that are closest to giving me chills when I hear it. Metal is not music that does this to me. The ending (which is clean electric, not acoustic) is also really great in my opinion. The same as above on the chills subject!
I have also heard people bash this song before, but as I started out saying: Taste is different!

What is wrong with some of you people?? Benighted, Silhouette, and Harvest are beautiful songs. Harvest is the song that got me into Opeth. If you think those are boring you'll probably hate the all-mellow CD.

I think Blackwater Park has 6 of Opeth's best songs and 2 of their worst.
Dirge for November... No, i'm not just saying this because everyone else is but This song is very boring, even the acoustic parts. It is by far the worst Opeth song ever, no offence to the band of course. I love everything else to death. But since when did they care about fan's opinions anyway? ;]
Blackwater Park... I don't really hate this song, it's good. but not that good compared to the rest of Opeth's work. it's boring and repetitive. The acoustic part is good, but gets EXTREMELY repetitive after a while! THe beginning riff is good too. Then the rest there is no clean vocals whatsoever and I just think it is boring. Oh well enough of my complaining.
Other songs that arent that good are Requiem and Madrigal. They should have just made them parts of the next song because it sounds like that anyway.

I agree with Mindflesh - dirge is one of my faves of BWP...

but as for songs I would discard if forced to 9threatened with no peth period, or some such torture) I would go for (this will be popular ;) ) -

Serenity Painted Death - Doesn't do it for me, the wierd pinch harmonics, chorussy bit is kind of awkward

The Leper Affinity - little bit flat i reckon, just the way it feels to me

Cheers

Paul D

Yeah, I'm very surprised how some people can go for a song as their all time favourite, and some bash the song as the worst... it really gives you an idea of what kind of a wide audience Opeth are reaching out to. Also, if you don't like Blackwater Park (the song), I don't see how you could possibly like metal at all... the song is metal virtually in its rawest form.... repetitive, fucking heavy etc. etc.

Well I love nearly all Opeth songs, they are just so unique it's not funny. But IMO, if I had to discard an Opeth song, it would be Pattens In The Ivy. It dosen't really fluff my muffin.

Harvest and Benighted are bloody awesome :headbang:

\m/

BLEAK. i don't really like this song. I can't understand why everyone else does... i think it is boring and i don't like steve wilsons voice. that's just me though. no offence to the band though, opeth is still my favorite.