Original/Creative Bands

SheisMySin

Apr 24, 2006
Here are some bands I think gave a fresh look/start to their genres at the time - what do you guys got?

Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies of 80's (Lights Camera and how will I laugh) - showed thrash could be slowed up and more melodic and still heavy
DRI - Thrash Zone - Awesome crossover cd
Pantera - First 2 cd's
Nailbomb - Way ahead of it's time, mix of ministry and Sepultura
Sepultura - Really came into their own with Chaos AD, but still before that
Celtic Frost
Ministry
Faith No More - The Real Thing
In Flames - Helped start the Melodic Death movement
Children of Bodom - Added keys to MD movement
Nightwish - Opera Metal
Vomitron - Sickeningly creative and original
Cradle/Dimmu - were they the first to add sympony like elements to black metal?
Behemoth - gave a fresh look at brutal death with Zuv Kult Dios (whatever it is)
Atrocity "Atlantis" - Mix of behemoth and 80's metal, plus their older stuff is very experiemental for death
Edge of Sanity
Psykup

Agree or no?

what do you guys got in your favorite genres? Bands that either started something new, or gave a fresh take on something...?

Very good list, all those bands were very creative bands and were often first with their style which gave a fresh look to their genres...

dare i say Korn has a spot there :) yes i know u guys dont like korn whatsoever, but its just a pure fact that they influenced MILLIONS of musicians!

I would also add Meshuggah, I'm not gonna go on a limb and say they were the first of their kind (cuz frankly I dont know) but I do know that they influenced an incredible amount of bands too..

I was going to put Korn and Slipknot, but didn't wanna open the flood gates :p

Korn's first CD was just an awesome display of original sound.

Meshuggah is a pretty good one - but I would say they definitely never changed ever. :p Same stuff over and over and over.

Scott

No. Emperor were the first to add symphonic elements to black metal, not DB or CoF. Those bands have never had an original idea between them.

Behemoth didn't do anything unique with death metal. And it's Zos Kia Cultus.

Pantera's first two cds were glam metal. I doubt they had any significance. Even their later work was just a ripoff of Exhorder.

Who is Psykup?

Did 12 year old kids write chaos A.D ?

I've always wondered if the band wrote it or not.

Arise is the pinnacle of Sepulturas career, i.m.o., though my old thrasher chum insists that Beneath the Remains is the better album.

Arise really straddled the divide between thrash and death in my opinion, whereas Chaos A.D. has a tentative claim on the first Nu metal album.

Carcassian said:
Arise really straddled the divide between thrash and death in my opinion, whereas Chaos A.D. has a tentative claim on the first Nu metal album.

No way is Chaos AD numetal - or even close. It has a claim on the sound that grew into Soulfly - that Brazilian tribal metal sound. I love those heavy drums.

Scott

KornyBstd said:
Very good list, all those bands were very creative bands and were often first with their style which gave a fresh look to their genres...

dare i say Korn has a spot there :) yes i know u guys dont like korn whatsoever, but its just a pure fact that they influenced MILLIONS of musicians!

I would also add Meshuggah, I'm not gonna go on a limb and say they were the first of their kind (cuz frankly I dont know) but I do know that they influenced an incredible amount of bands too..

I doubt that Korn has infuenced any band exept numetal or metalcore. Its not that I'm against those genres, but still...

Meshuggah are definitely awesome, but I wouldnt say they have influenced "an incredible amount of bands" exept Mnemic, Uncrossed and a few other. Meshuggah was influenced by Metallica from the very start.

PS: Damn... I shouldnt have to make this post. SheisMySin is gonna to start that polemic again :erk:
Ok, I'm waiting for 2 pages feedback to read...

SheisMySin said:
No way is Chaos AD numetal - or even close. It has a claim on the sound that grew into Soulfly - that Brazilian tribal metal sound. I love those heavy drums.

Scott

Mate,

listen to the production, the slab like mono-riffs and the simple song construction. Then listen to the first korn album. If there isn't a direct connection, I'll eat my own hat.

(Note: Outside of work, I do not own a hat).

I'd say that Paradise Lost were extremely influential, not only on bands like Katatonia, but also to a lesser extent to other bands like Type O Negative and *shudder* H.I.M.

Meshuggah probably does not influence anything other than 12 year korn and fear factory fans.

I don't expect much Lyric wise with Sepultura, but there is just something about Sepultura that makes me want to listen.

Its got to be those drums... XD

The funny thing is, some of the bands you have quoted as being creative or influential have been great bands, but have influenced some utter fucking dross (i.e. Faith No More and their influence on dreadful Nu Metal and Alterno-rock bands, not to mention their assistance in establishing rap-metal with epic)

Pantera's first two cds were glam metal. I doubt they had any significance. Even their later work was just a ripoff of Exhorder.

I meant Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar...you don't think they had any significance?

Scott

Hard to argue they weren't significant, given that roughly 40% of bands of the period tried to sound like them (remember "Fight", anyone?)

Carcassian said:
listen to the production, the slab like mono-riffs and the simple song construction. Then listen to the first korn album. If there isn't a direct connection, I'll eat my own hat.
Okay, you got me - both CD's are relatively simple.

There's still a drastic difference in the sound.

I still think the first Korn CD is metal, just a weird kind with different emphasis on bass and vocals.

Sepultura/Soulfly with Max will always be metal. That guy knows how to bring it.

Scott

SheisMySin said:
Carcassian said:
Okay, you got me - both CD's are relatively simple.

There's still a drastic difference in the sound.

I still think the first Korn CD is metal, just a weird kind with different emphasis on bass and vocals.

Sepultura/Soulfly with Max will always be metal. That guy knew how to bring it.

Scott

Mate, since Arise, Max Cavalera has created more shite than good. Soulfly in particular are a crime against metal.