Original/Creative Bands

I think it's hilarious you think those are their first two albums. Power Metal, anyone? Fuck Pantera.

I knew they had a glam past, but never listened to it. I don't think anyone honestly counts those as part of their discography.

Pantera may have sucked in their later years, but they were Gods from Cowboys - Far beyond driven. "Walk" was pretty fresh for the time bro.

Scott

PS - http://www.myspace.com/psykup

Meshuggah probably does not influence anything other than 12 year korn and fear factory fans.

They influenced the likes of Tool, Mnemic, Uncrossed, Wolf Eyes, Ion Dissonance, A Life Once Lost, The Acacia Strain, Unearth, Blood Has Been Shed
to go on and on and on...

My personal belief is that Meshuggah will go down as one of the most influental bands of tomorrows bands..laugh if you want..but there IS an incredible amount of bands that have said to have been influenced by Meshuggah..

Carcassian said:
I'd say that Paradise Lost were extremely influential, not only on bands like Katatonia, but also to a lesser extent to other bands like Type O Negative and *shudder* H.I.M.

Who knows how much this band really has influenced ranging from doom death metal to gothic doom to regular goth to electronic rock/metal to regular metal.

I have not heard any of the later material from the band so I have no clue and don't even want to actually know the bands significance or how many albums they sell.

SheisMySin said:
I knew they had a glam past, but never listened to it. I don't think anyone honestly counts those as part of their discography.

Pantera may have sucked in their later years, but they were Gods from Cowboys - Far beyond driven. "Walk" was pretty fresh for the time bro.

Scott

PS - http://www.myspace.com/psykup

I don't think Pantera were as awful as many people in here seem to think they were. Some (note: almost all) of the lyrics sucked ass, but to be honest, I've always found them pleasant enough unengaging background-metal, good to drink and play pool to.

Mate, since Arise, Max Cavalera has created more shite than good. Soulfly in particular are a crime against metal

It's cool if you want to disagree.

I think The Prophecy and Dark Ages have both been phenomenal thrash CD's with lots of variety (prophecy) and catchy aggression/riffs.

Scott

Hey, no biggy mate, variety is the spice of life I guess. Soulfly always sounded dreadful to me.

I havent liked post Max Sepultura much, either though. I might buy the new one though, that sounded ok.

KornyBstd said:
They influenced the likes of Tool, Mnemic, Uncrossed, Wolf Eyes, Ion Dissonance, A Life Once Lost, The Acacia Strain, Unearth, Blood Has Been Shed
to go on and on and on...

My personal belief is that Meshuggah will go down as one of the most influental bands of tomorrows bands..laugh if you want..but there IS an incredible amount of bands that have said to have been influenced by Meshuggah..

Other than tool non of those bands really even matter a little in the music industry. I don't think you are looking at the spectrum of music.

Tool is probably not even influenced by a metal band. The band originally was a hard rock band that started to expand. That would be like saying the stone temple pilots is influenced by meshuggah.

Erik said:
Yeah I mean it's not like "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" was released in 1987 or anything right

+1.

Plus, contraversially, I prefer CoF over the earlier period anyway.

So there.

Didn't Blind Guardian release "Battalions Of Fear" in 1988..? Maybe they wen't as melodic as their later albums...

I'd have to do some research on 'Firsts' of metal genres, so many bands I'm no aware of..

Also, I thought Alice Cooper was sortof inspiriing as far as stage shows...
:S

Missing from that list are Slayer, Emperor, Carcass, Napalm Death, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest.

All of the bands I listed founded and/or revolutionized genres with their creativity and orignality.

For example, Black Sabbath decided to be original by creating the musical equivalent to horror films while Slayer's unmatched brutality at the time built the altar upon which death metal was born.

All of the bands I listed founded and/or revolutionized genres with their creativity and orignality.

For sure - I thought those were a given.

Fear Factory added a nice element to death metal with their industrial feel.

GWAR to some extent - image wise and musically.

Scott

I'm too lazy to check on the list again.. but I don't recall Maiden or Helloween on that list?

I'd say they influenced quite a bit...

However, we are sortof stating the obvious here.

Anyone do the Tristania - Gothic metal thing before them? That spawned quite a bit of those type of bands.

Scott

Paradise Lost started gothic metal so they would be an obvious influence.

Gothic is more doomdeath than what people would call gothic metal nowdays, but it's probably the progenitor of all the others. (1991)

Tristania have the gothic sound heavier guitars harsh vocals and female vocals keyboards(orchestra in PD lost case),etc.. which paradise lost started in 1991 with gothic. Even though there are two female vocal parts it's still a start because no one would have thought to mix those things in 91.

Theatre of Tragedy already had two albums out before tristania and have probably influenced them. The Gathering 'always' along with 'mandylion' probably influenced them too along with the first two orphanage cdsm and the first within temptation. Tristania is pretty late on the movement and would probably be considered a second generation of gothic metal.

I hate the term gothic too. I just like music. Once you say the term gothic people have an idea already.