Original/Creative Bands

The Greys said:
Other than tool non of those bands really even matter a little in the music industry. I don't think you are looking at the spectrum of music.

Tool is probably not even influenced by a metal band. The band originally was a hard rock band that started to expand. That would be like saying the stone temple pilots is influenced by meshuggah.

Tool toured with meshuggah and ripped off some riffs on their new album. Nu-metal wise, Meshuggah are incredibly influential. That isn't a good thing. Meshuggah copycats are even lamer then tool copycats, which nu-metal has good and plenty of. The entire genre of math metal practically worships meshuggah, and its a growing genre. Meshuggah has been influencing progressive metal as well, albiet on a lesser scale. I think with their most recent albums though, they won't influence as much crappy music because it goes over their heads. I agree with whoever says they will go down as one of the most influential in histary.

And, to the list, how about darkthrone? They were a pioneer of the second wave of black metal.

Emperor should be there too. As should Opeth.

Carcassian said:
(i.e. Faith No More and their influence on dreadful Nu Metal and Alterno-rock bands, not to mention their assistance in establishing rap-metal with epic)

That's only part of the story. I challenge you, Carc, to listen to FNM and tell me they did not at least partially influence avant garde rock/metal (and listen to albums like Angeldust; King For a Day, Fool For A Lifetime; and Album of The Year instead of The Real Thing)

TylerTheNuke said:
Tool toured with meshuggah and ripped off some riffs on their new album. Nu-metal wise, Meshuggah are incredibly influential. That isn't a good thing. Meshuggah copycats are even lamer then tool copycats, which nu-metal has good and plenty of. The entire genre of math metal practically worships meshuggah, and its a growing genre. Meshuggah has been influencing progressive metal as well, albiet on a lesser scale. I think with their most recent albums though, they won't influence as much crappy music because it goes over their heads. I agree with whoever says they will go down as one of the most influential in histary.

And, to the list, how about darkthrone? They were a pioneer of the second wave of black metal.

Emperor should be there too. As should Opeth.

Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me, and yeah they are pretty much the undisputed kings of mathmetal!

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
That's only part of the story. I challenge you, Carc, to listen to FNM and tell me they did not at least partially influence avant garde rock/metal (and listen to albums like Angeldust; King For a Day, Fool For A Lifetime; and Album of The Year instead of The Real Thing)

Read again mate. I didnt dispute that; but they did also influence a load of shit.

(Note: I really, really like FNM) I was listening to FNM when you were still watching Barney the Dinosaur :lol:

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
^Barney The Dinosaur didn't come out until I was in middle school, bub. I'm an old fuck like yourself.

My apologies. Anyway, I love FNM. Even the Real Thing (except for Epic)

cookiecutter said:
Mithras, a band just recomended to me by VVVVV seems very original, which is especially out of the ordinary, because they are brutal death.

Fucking AWESOME band. So good.