Other Bands for Theocracy Fans?

I'll be curious to hear what you think of Paradise Lost, seeing as how it's pretty different from V and Twilight in Olympus.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet (I had to hang out with my grandma), but I've heard the songs Set The World On Fire and Seven, and they were extremely good. So I have pretty high hopes.

Later...

Paradise Lost is :OMG:. I may actually like it better than New Mythology.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet (I had to hang out with my grandma), but I've heard the songs Set The World On Fire and Seven, and they were extremely good. So I have pretty high hopes.

Later...

Paradise Lost is :OMG:. I may actually like it better than New Mythology.

After talking to Val once he showed me Seven and it's quite impressive. Sort of why I decided to by PL first. :D

Seven is probably my third favorite track on the disk; my first two is undecided between the title track and the closing track. My only complaint about the album is that the songs are too short!

So anyway, the album has made me decide to read Paradise Lost for an English project. This is going to be intense...

What's with Wintersun?
I like the album, but I've always wondered if that Jari fellow had any specific religious affiliation.
I mean it's fairly obvious that he's not a devout Christian, but I like to know what influences them all.
Do you guys like it? Has it been brought up before? I'm drawing a blank.

So now I'm looking for a good metal or prog rock band from France or a French-speaking country, for a culture project in my French class. (Therefore, the band should have lyrics in French.) If I can't find one I'll probably go with Alcest (whom I'm not a huge fan of), but I'd prefer to find something really good. Any help avaliable?

So now I'm looking for a good metal or prog rock band from France or a French-speaking country, for a culture project in my French class. (Therefore, the band should have lyrics in French.) If I can't find one I'll probably go with Alcest (whom I'm not a huge fan of), but I'd prefer to find something really good. Any help avaliable?

The only French band I can think off hand is Dream Child, who are prog metal. Though their lyrics are in English. I have their 1998 album "Reaching The Golden Gates." I think they may have an earlier album, too. Then there is Adagio who is lead by French guitarist, Stephan Forte. Their song titles seem to be in various languages, but their lyrics are all English as far as I can remember. Or you could use Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde." :D

I thought of a couple songs sung in French, but by non-French bands:

Kamelot - Ne Pleure Pas (the French version of Don't You Cry, which is the US bonus track on Karma)
Rhapsody - The Magic Of The Wizard's Dream [French Version] (from the single of The Magic Of The Wizard's Dream)

Unfortunately, I'm almost certain that the lyrics have to be in French. Thanks for introducing me to Dream Child, though. Their song "Answers" is quite good, although the singer could use some work.

Unfortunately, I'm almost certain that the lyrics have to be in French. Thanks for introducing me to Dream Child, though. Their song "Answers" is quite good, although the singer could use some work.

No problem. :D It's been a long time since I've spun that disc, so bringing them up here has made me go back a listen, too. Fairly decent DT-style prog metal...though I have always thought the production could be better.

[/QUOTE]So I tried to download it... the high-res was going to take a good two hours, so I tried the low-res. It got done, but tracks 5 and 6 didn't download because the files are "corrupted". Help? :([/QUOTE]

Hi, this is Matt from Silent Lapse

Try again, they should but up now. If not, we can re-upload them, let me know.

Thanks for listening!

So I tried to download it... the high-res was going to take a good two hours, so I tried the low-res. It got done, but tracks 5 and 6 didn't download because the files are "corrupted". Help? :([/QUOTE]

Hi, this is Matt from Silent Lapse

Try again, they should but up now. If not, we can re-upload them, let me know.

Thanks for listening![/QUOTE]

Hey, Matt, I got the SilentLapse free download. Thanks so much for the free jamms. First listen: good stuff. Some really nice moody songs. Crunchy guitars too. Coolness.

Anyone ever listen to Threshold? I've been looking at some of their stuff, but is it any good?

Definitely. Threshold is my favorite prog metal band (well, outside of Dream Theater, but aren't they everyone's favorite prog metal band???). There are two main eras for the band, based on who was lead singer:

- Damian Wilson for the 1st and 3rd albums, and now fronting the band again
- Andrew "Mac" McDermott for the 4th through 8th albums. I personally much prefer the Mac years - he is a phenomenal vocalist. I think you can't go wrong with the Hypothetical, Critical Mass, or Dead Reckoning albums (all Mac albums).

This was the track that initially hooked me:

This is a track that keeps me coming back for more:

I had the pleasure to see them at ProgPower = WOW! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:

This probably doesn't help you, since it sounds like you need lyrics, but I like an instrumental symphonic metal band from France called Chulainn.

http://www.myspace.com/chulainnmusic

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8hi03_the-war-calling-chulainn-alone-king_music

This probably doesn't help you, since it sounds like you need lyrics, but I like an instrumental symphonic metal band from France called Chulainn.

http://www.myspace.com/chulainnmusic

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8hi03_the-war-calling-chulainn-alone-king_music

Actually, it can be instrumental as long as it doesn't have lyrics in a language other than French. Thanks a ton; I might end up using this. I'll listen when I have more time.

RE Threshold: Thanks for the info. I was planning on getting their Critical Mass album when I have the chance; now I definitely will!