Other bands like SW

fizodan

Apr 6, 2009
What other bands are like SW? Besides, Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Dream Theater, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard. Odd time signatures, top notch musicianship, insane solos, great vocals. No death metal vocals. Just seeing if there is a great band I'm missing. With the bands I listed, that should give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Not a big fan of Hammerfall and bands like them.

If you want to go to the root of it, search for Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Kansas, :)

Otherwise, the only band that I can cathegorize as a similar kind of progresive than SW and CM is Pathosray....really cool band. Check for their album "Pathosray", amazing melodic stuff.

Kingcrow's cd Phlegethon should appeal to a Seventh Wonder fan. Although the vocals aren't as strong, I really like Haken. The musicianship is amazing.

I agree with the Redemption recommendation, especially the Origin of Ruin and Snowfall on Judgement Day cds.

I would say that Pagan's Mind ranks pretty high on my list.
Also, check out Redemption

I have redemption's cd. It's extremely good musically but seems dry. Maybe they needed a different vocalist and mixing. Something is off.

I just discovered Redemption too. Thery're great but i must say they sometimes they sound like a DT-Coverband (not only because of LaBries Gust Vocals).

Very compatible with SW stuff should be Darkwater, they just released a new Album:

Even the Debut was a real masterpeace!

Last edited by a moderator:
most of the names you said guys, are quite different from SW.

of course I assume he already knows Shadow Gallery.

I guess my italian brothers DGM and Pathosray could fit. Anyway, these two bands are more like Symphony X.

Everon and Redemption are quite different.

Pagan's Mind is ok, but it's more power metal

ACT are one of the greatest influence for SW (if I recall correctly).

Vanden Plas could fit too, but I really don't like the vocals of Andy Kuntz.

If some other names come into my mind, i'll let you know :D

I haven't heard anything that like Seventh Wonder, outside the obvious Dream Theater, Symphony X etc. but even they are three very different bands.

Redemption and Darkwater were the ones I was thinking.

A few suggestions (not sure if they've been named yet):

Mind's Eye:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTlhbsHS_ps&feature=related[/ame]

Anubis Gate:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Mm3fAZn_c&feature=related[/ame]

DGM:

Illusion Suite:

Spheric Universe Experience:

Hi guys!

This is my 1st post in the forum, and I would like to start saying that I am a huge fan from Brazil, and I found SW, looking for bands that sounded like early DT (I&W and Awake). During this non-stop searching process, I ended up founding the following bands:

1- Dreamscape: (drum point of view);
2- Ivanhoe: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlb_9R8Jckk&feature=related[/ame] (old) & [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-5KQx3Sho&feature=related[/ame] (new);
3- Heart of Sun: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Yhc5dowB0&feature=related;[/ame]
4- Dali´s Dilemma: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smv8O7YH18I&feature=&p=7740494A9C192A53&index=0&playnext=1[/ame].

Hope you enjoy!
PS: And for the record, SW is my favorite band for about a year or so!

Early Evergrey. Check out the In Search of Truth album.

The most recent effort by Vanden Plas, The Seraphic Clockwork should hit the spot. So should their magnum opus "Christ 0"

Threshold. They have a lot of varied material in their back catalogue...

Personally I think Glynn Morgan was their best vocalist so I'd recommend the remastered version of Psychedelicatessen:

But check a few things out.

Earlier Pain of Salvation material? Nobody mentioned them did they?

Give ARK a shot. They only have two albums but they are definitely worth checking out...

Oh and Conception too. Roy Khan's band before Kamelot were more progressive I'd say - and of course Khan is a fantastic vocalist.

Not many posts from me, but.. since this thread started to be more about progressive (metal or rock) bands and not so much about bands that are similar to Seventh Wonder, I'll throw in these suggestions;

Scale the Summit - Carving Desert Canyons
Animals as Leaders - Animals as Leaders
Canvas Solaris - 4-5 albums, favourites are "The Atomized Dream" and "Irradiance"

These three mentioned above are more in the "technical wank"-style, but if you like it odd, you should like these. All these are instrumental, btw.

Thought Chamber - Angular Perceptions. "Supergroup" featuring the singer (or ex-singer??) of the band Enchant. Also check Enchant's early albums like "Blueprint of the World", "Wounded" and "Time Lost".

Something that's very similar to SW (at least I thought the intro to the first song was!) : Status Minor - Dialog.

Andromeda - Chimera (and their first which I can't remember the name of), fellow Swedish prog-metallers.

Sieges Even deserve a mention (early stuff like "Lifecycle", "Steps" and "A Sense of Change") and maybe also their ex-guitarist's band; 7 for 4.

Rush - their 80s albums like "Grace Under Pressure", "Power Windows" and "Hold Your Fire" (to name a few). They're not like SW at all, but Geddy Lee's a great bass-player who's also very visible/audible bass-wise, which is one of the reasons I love SW.

Right'o - I'll shut up, thanks for all the fish and goodbye.

Hi guys!

This is my 1st post in the forum, and I would like to start saying that I am a huge fan from Brazil, and I found SW, looking for bands that sounded like early DT (I&W and Awake).
Hope you enjoy!
PS: And for the record, SW is my favorite band for about a year or so!

Good stuff!

E cuidado que o Mengao vai cair hein!? :p Abraco!

Sieges Even deserve a mention (early stuff like "Lifecycle", "Steps" and "A Sense of Change") and maybe also their ex-guitarist's band; 7 for 4.

They were a great band. Excellent rhythm section. Their album "Tidal" is in heavy rotation.

They were a great band. Excellent rhythm section. Their album "Tidal" is in heavy rotation.

You mean "Paramount"? (Tidal is a song there) I liked that one too, but I kinda feel they went "softer" after.. say, the "funky period" with the albums "Sophisticated" and "Uneven".

Did people not list Fates Warning? I guess Ray Alder's mentioned with Redemption (the song "Sapphire" off of "The Fullness of Time" is fantastic!), but albums like "Parallells", "Inside Out" and "Perfect Symmetry" are must.. listen to's..? And maybe "Awaken the Guardian" with John Arch on vocals (check out his audition for DT on "The Killing Hand" on youtube - it's great).

Hello guys! My first post here.

About the topic, let me introduce you to a great band from Chile, my country. They are Delta, and they are absolutely awesome. Currently, the best prog metal band around here.

Some songs from their latests album, Deny Humanity.

Some earlier songs from their previous albums.