Other bands like SW

What other bands are like SW? Besides, Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Dream Theater, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard. Odd time signatures, top notch musicianship, insane solos, great vocals. No death metal vocals. Just seeing if there is a great band I'm missing. With the bands I listed, that should give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Not a big fan of Hammerfall and bands like them.

I recommend to listen "FireWind", "Allen-Lande", "Angra", "Ayreon" (and all Arjen Lucassen's proyects), "Redemption" (as a Commandment), "Suspyre" and "Adagio".

Hello guys! My first post here. About the topic, let me introduce you to a great band from Chile, my country. They are Delta, and they are absolutely awesome. Currently, the best prog metal band around here.
Some songs from their latests album, Deny Humanity.

Aja! haciéndole promo a Delta!!! jajaja....está bien. Ya está bueno que Delta se abra al mundo y comience a tocar afuera.

I know Secret Sphere is good, though they cross too much into the power realm.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good game. Some of these bands are pretty good, thanks everyone.

If you like Neal Morse and the Beard try Karmakanic
http://open.spotify.com/track/5cPC4zSTWIJCQcO6bNPsot

Freak Kitchen are also awesome, not much like SW but they fulfil the other criteria

No one has mentioned Richard Andersson have they? Self indulgent, arrogant, Swedish keyboard shred. I love it.
http://open.spotify.com/track/24kozU6BruIx9M8CdMBvaI

And finally, imagine someone Star Wars on 8 string guitars, now you can stop imagining it because these guys have done it

I also give more votes to A.C.T, Pagan's Mind and Angra.
Rachel

Last edited by a moderator:
still love Queensryche!! Rage for order / Operation:Mindcrime/Promised land
Just awesome albums

I don't know what all bands have been recommended.

But: Pagan's mind is incredible, and if you're a fan of Stargate, every single song will blow your mind. Every song is about Stargate. It's pretty damn cool.

They are also incredible live. Check out New World Order on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGcTmmKEIH8

As well, if you want more amazing bands. Kamelot, though they're power metal, Ayreon, and anything by Arjen, such as Guilt Machine, Ambeon, all that fun stuff.

I noticed most of the great bands that i would have listed but i don't think i noticed Darkwater , check em out !!!!!

Keep an eye on

EMPTY TREMOR - IRIDIUM (2010)

Very close to Seventh Wonder/Dream Theater/Circus Maximus, just a little less catchy.

Many excellent bands already listed, i.e. Andromeda, DGM, Adagio, Fates Warning... but still few brilliant ones are missing ;)

Anthriel - don't miss to check their debut album titled "The Pathway"; sounds like mix of Symphony X, Seventh Wonder and many more

Caravellus - don't waste your time for their first typical power metal debut, just take their sophomore effort "The Knowledge Machine". Tempo's changing very often, many catchy tunes, however it sounds harder than SW

Silent Memorial - their album called "Retrospective" is a very good sort of Dream Theater's style of playing

Vindictiv - more neoclassical, but still progressive and melodic. Debut ST album highly recommended.

Pantommind - very good band from Bulgaria. Their "Lunasense" CD is an excellent release.

most of the names you said guys, are quite different from SW.

I think most people responded based upon the qualities he's looking for in a band: odd time signatures, top notch musicianship, and quality vocals.

I'd add Darkwater, Aspera and Hourglass to my list of recommendations.