Other than metal

BurningSky

rxbandits.com
Jan 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
How many people here like Opeth moreso because of their non-metal sound? I mean, I love the metal riffs and a lot of the death vox, but those proggy, folky parts are really what draw me in. I think a lot of my Opeth love comes from waiting for these parts to emerge in each song. As much as I think Opeth would be a completely different band if they abandoned their death metal roots, I think I would love all the music Mikael could make if he was strictly in a prog band. Anyone with me?

Pain While Urinating said:
It was the only thing that kept me listening at first, but now I love them both equally.

Same here. Well, I liked the metal parts at first, but not the vocals. but I stuck with it.

Is it abnormal to like the soft parts maybe even a bit more but still have very little attraction to Damnation?:ill:

I liked heavier stuff than Opeth, before i like them. So i guess it wasn't the non-metal sound that kept me listening in that sense. I think it was just the fact that they were so fucking experimental, i was just trying to keep up with what the hell was going on in their songs. They're just more interesting than conventional metal. I'd have to say it's the mix of metal, and folk, prog and so much more, that just had me sitting their thinking :O

Zivilyn said:
Same here. Well, I liked the metal parts at first, but not the vocals. but I stuck with it.

Is it abnormal to like the soft parts maybe even a bit more but still have very little attraction to Damnation?:ill:

No, not at all. I love Damnation but I'd say the mellow parts on the other albums are actually a very different type of mellow to Damnation.

Pain While Urinating said:
It was the only thing that kept me listening at first, but now I love them both equally.

same here. Opeth got me into bands that Growl, Shriek and Scream.

I was into heavy stuff but not growling vocals so hearing him growl and it being understandable was one reason, but also the fact that it went from heavy parts to the acoustic parts and I loved hearing those changes in the songs (and still do). I also liked how they had so many different things, something for almost everyone, I guess.

I am more of a fan of the acoustic stuff. I like the heavy stuff also, but the prog parts are my favorite. I really can't stand death metal but that is another story.

Opeth's charm is the combination of both element with great results, for me at least. Opeth is the band that got me into extreme metal/grunting however.

I guess I experienced the opposite effect - I got into Opeth initially for the harder sound, but they've opened me up to the progessive genre. As a result I really like Porcupine Tree, Orphaned Land and even The Mars Volta. I'm going to check out Riverside soon too after the way you guys raved about them.

I enjoy every aspect of Opeth, like everybody else of the Opeth "family." The experimental, progressive and folky musicality gives Opeth a more complex sound and quality which is why I think Opeth is the most uniqe band in the world compared to others in the same terrain. Their atmospheric sound, their mix of prog-rock and death-metal along with top-notch craftmanship of instruments is impossible to not like, by one whose ear is to music. It's as simple as that!

Hahahahahahaha, its actually really weird thinking of how long ago the Spice Girls were around!