Oxford compiles list of top ten irritating phrases

"You know what they say."

No, I don't know what they say. I don't even know who they are!
I'm somewhat peeved that "No offense" and "don't quote me on this" didn't make the cut.

True, the then/than and your/you're phenomenon really should have been addressed first.
A lot of people over here don't pronounce the difference either. I even mentioned how annoying it is that so many people always pronounce "your" even when they mean "you're" and they thought I was just trolling. Then I discovered that even dictionary.com lists the same pronunciation for both words :(
The most annoying word in the English language is "like." If you watch clips from certain MTV shows (especially Laguna Beach) you can actually hear this word annihilating communication.
This word is especially annoying, because it's infiltrated everything. I even catch myself doing it.
RealAtor

NucUlar

:cry:
Lightening

EDIT: Holy shit, this spelling error is so common that google spell check doesn't even know it's an error! :eek:
This and mixing up less and fewer are the only things that bother me.
I hate this! :mad:
Can "lemme axe a question" count? I want to kill people who say this!
I literally want to axe them myself :lol:
But that's a dialect thing. Might as well get angry with you for not pronouncing your r's
Andy, what r's do you not pronounce? :lol:
I don't often omit r's.
Thanks you three for reminding me how much I hate it when people show possession where there isn't any.

okay - "r"s
not okay - r's

okay - an 80's band
not okay - the 1980's
I fucking hate double negatives.
Same here, but I use them all the time satirically.
All of the stupid midwest or Alaskan dialect and way of speaking....dont'cha know..
People substitute "ch" for "t" for a lot of words where I'm from and as a consequence, I had a very difficult time learning to spell. My parents and teachers would always just say "sound it out," which is of course isn't helpful at all when you've learned to pronounce words like "chruck," "chrack," "chrain," etc. Fortunately, I was able to force myself out of it, but there are a lot of people who still do it. We also use "j" in place of "d" in certain circumstances and it's also pretty annoying.

How'd you do that? > How'joo do that?

I'm glad I took the initiative to correct my own speech though, because I've been told by several exchange students that I'm the easiest person for them to understand.

This might be seen as nitpicking, but I cannot stand when people use an opening 'it' as the invisible subject when they DON'T HAVE TO. Sometimes you can, especially when the subject is preceding in a sentence, but people do it for everything nowadays. "It takes..." phrases for example. Ugh.

I even mentioned how annoying it is that so many people always pronounce "your" even when they mean "you're" and they thought I was just trolling. Then I discovered that even dictionary.com lists the same pronunciation for both words :(
I think you're in the wrong here, fella. You're gay too for thinking they're different, tbh. Then again, shortening all vowel sounds is what gives the regional accent here its defining character.

so like, the word "like" is like, so fuckin annoying.

oh, and i hate when people say or type "oh, and".

People who write "no one" as "noone" annoy me. Even i know that's wrong and i'm not even a native English speaker. Seriously, a lot of English stuff i know by instinct, it's amazing that so many native English speakers don't know their whole language fully.

Yeah that's the product of cheap public education. :devil:

AchrisK said:
It's funny, for a lot of Hispanics for which English is their second language, they have a problem with words that start with "S". They tend to put an "E" in front. Sacred = escared, etc.

That's true. My grandmother always says stuff like 'Christopher I made you a very good espaghetti' or when I when I would misbehave when I was younger she'd say 'estop it!'

That's because there is a shitload of words that start with "es" in espanol, and very few which start with only "s".

The phenomenon is limited to cases where /s/ is followed by one of a certain class of sounds called 'stops', e.g. /k/, /p/, /t/. There is no word in Spanish that starts with /s/ where the /s/ is followed immediately by a stop. There are plenty of Spanish words that start with /s/ though. You might have noticed that the error does not occur with words like 'song' or 'sink'.

Yeah, that would be a more accurate way to put it. I have some familiarity with Spanish, but obviously not that much.

I have a positive association with the slang use of the word "boss" because of Gary in Vampire: Bloodlines.

I think you're in the wrong here, fella. You're gay too for thinking they're different, tbh. Then again, shortening all vowel sounds is what gives the regional accent here its defining character.
I actually pronounce "you're" and "your" so that they rhyme with lure and lore, respecitively and I can tell the difference when someone uses the wrong one. For example, when peopl esay "your stupid" I get irritated, and how the hell am I supposed to respond to that anyway? "You leave my stupid out of this!" :mad: