Perfect Albums

Didn't say Beatles were bad, just far from perfection.

I just think that album is the epitome of simple songwriting, with every song being under three minutes and having some memorial bits, it's hard not to enjoy. And given that the rest of those are atmospheric or heavy, it's a plus that Rubber Soul is actually happy music.

Still, I would probably put it on the lower end of the list because all the others are equally nearing perfection throughout whereas there's a distinct 6 or 7 songs on that album that I basically always enjoy a little more than the other half.

And I don't actually have Magical Mystery Tour, what the fuck. (Have Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper, Let it Be, The White Album, and 1 I think..)

2d536230a8a05716ff46f010.L.jpg

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a perfect album. I mean even albums I rank very nearly perfect I can find flaws... ex: Melissa- Mercyful Fate. The production on Black Funeral is noticeably worse than the rest of the album... the guitar tone could be better too... small imperfections but imperfections nonetheless.

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours comes closest. Not sure its perfect though. Slayer - Show No Mercy & Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny wouldn't be too far behind either.

We should probably have sex.

Extreme Aggression? Really? I think it's probably even weaker than Terrible Certainty, which is one of those other ones I never really understood to hype about. Granted, the first 5 are all pretty fucking great but not perfect or even close. I find EA pretty much uninspired sounding, and kind of just there. COS, EP and PTK are all far superior.

Extreme Aggression? Really? I think it's probably even weaker than Terrible Certainty, which is one of those other ones I never really understood to hype about. Granted, the first 5 are all pretty fucking great but not perfect or even close. I find EA pretty much uninspired sounding, and kind of just there. COS, EP and PTK are all far superior.

It's really, really awesome thrash. The production is perfect, the tempos are great, the musicianship is flawless, the songs are extremely well-written, there's sufficient variety for repeated listens but you can also headbang all the way through. Every song is memorable, and it has stuff like Betrayer, Bringer of Torture, Extreme Aggression, No Reason To Exist...shit, man, it's just flawless fucking thrash metal.

Queensryche - Operation mindcrime
Metallica - Master of puppets
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Guns n roses - Appetite for destruction
Megadeth - Rust in piece
Judas priest - Screaming for vengeance
Anthrax - Spreading the disease
Misfits - Walk among us

a lot of you need to either look up the definition of perfect sometime or raise your standards. this isn't a favourite albums thread. on the flipside i'd like to see some arguments for claims that "there can be no such thing as a perfect album", as i see no reason to believe that either.

anyway, many of my absolute favourite bands are too wild and bursting with ideas to sustain their power throughout (some obvious examples are arch-era fates warning, early at the gates, mercyful fate), and that ain't a bad thing. the vast majority of consistent albums tend to be consistently decent (or worse) rather than consistently exceptional - volatility is a condition for greatness, more often than not.

still, there are a few which manage the latter (or almost manage, as i can't think of a single album i've heard that's amazing from the first second to the last), and those tend to be written by bands who are so in command of the medium that they don't need to reach at all, they know exactly what they're capable of and where they're trying to get to, and it all ends up feeling so organic and logical it may as well have been born fully formed. the foremost examples to me are 'sad wings of destiny', 'king of the dead', 'hvis lyset tar oss', 'captain beyond'. the hendrix experience is another possible example as ozzman suggested.

there is the occasional band that always sounds like it's reaching and yet almost manages to be perfect anyway, such as the chasm on 'deathcult' or the mad river s/t. incidentally my two favourite albums...