Personality Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cynical said:
We're not plants, fungii, protists, or bacteria. We're multi-celular eukaryotes that consume other living things for energy and respirate oxygen. Thus, we're animals.

My question was posed with the idea that we are distinct and seperate from what we classify as animals. Not the general biological question of whether we are animals or not.

Yes, we're different from other animals, but it doesn't make us more worthy, or more sacred in any way. At least that's how I see it. I try to stay humble and keep my ego from inflating enough to proclaim we're the most vitale species this earth has to offer. We're not.

Lord, everytime I read your name that Nevermore song pops into my head.

Susperia said:
Yes, we're different from other animals, but it doesn't make us more worthy, or more sacred in any way. At least that's how I see it. I try to stay humble and keep my ego from inflating enough to proclaim we're the most vitale species this earth has to offer. We're not.

Lord, everytime I read your name that Nevermore song pops into my head.

Because it is a fantastic song :)

I agree that we are just another species of animal. The hubris of mankind sickens me on a daily basis. I was just curious as to what angle you approached that conclusion from, whether it was from an animal rights view, or a general digust at the human race for always thinking so highly of itself.

We are superior to animals in many respects, that's not to say we shouldn't act responsibly and also treat them with respect.

Remember, there's room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes! :D

judas69 said:
We are superior to animals in many respects, that's not to say we shouldn't act responsibly and also treat them with respect.

Remember, there's room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes! :D

:lol: You've been full of the jokes this week, huh???

I don't eat meat anyways, just do not enjoy the taste.

I gave up beef for 15 months .. then I broke down, but I was amazed I actually held out that long considering I've always been a big meat eater.

Do you eat fish at all, or are you stricktly vegetarian?

I wouldnt count myself as vegetarian, the only reason i do not eat much meat is because i do not enjoy the taste a great deal.

My grandmother makes beautiful steak with garlic sauce, which i eat maybe once a yr. I occasionally eat fresh fish from a market, but that is not very often either. The obligatory family turkey when i visit home for christmas and thats my meat quota for the year, give or take the odd bit of bacon maybe. I certainly don't eat much meat, and its mainly because the taste, texture and idea of it festering in my body make me feel a tad queezy.

How about yourself?

Love it, but about a year and half ago I started becoming suspicious of our food supply in general ..especially beef and other meats. There was a Yale study (I believe it was) that reported a certain percentage of patients who die of Alzhiemers, actually died of the human form of mad cow (CJD). This is not the only reason I gave up beef..

Beef also contains high levels of dioxins in the meat, growth hormones and a variety of things I am not very fond of, not to mention carcinogenic chemicals that are created during the grilling process etc...

What do you eat for protein? Soy?

Final_Product said:
My question was posed with the idea that we are distinct and seperate from what we classify as animals. Not the general biological question of whether we are animals or not.
Errm... and what, other than our biology, would seperate us from other animals?

Final_Product said:
I wouldnt count myself as vegetarian, the only reason i do not eat much meat is because i do not enjoy the taste a great deal.

My grandmother makes beautiful steak with garlic sauce, which i eat maybe once a yr. I occasionally eat fresh fish from a market, but that is not very often either. The obligatory family turkey when i visit home for christmas and thats my meat quota for the year, give or take the odd bit of bacon maybe. I certainly don't eat much meat, and its mainly because the taste, texture and idea of it festering in my body make me feel a tad queezy.

How about yourself?

I love meat. I could do a homer simpson musical on my love for dead animals. I love it rare and blody, I love it young (like lamb and veal), I love properly cooked specialty meats (From the lambs head, to tripe), I love it gamey. Not a day goes by that I dont consume meat--It would be very unmanly not to eat meat.

As for growth hormones--they are good for you, especially if you work out. The carcinogens, occur when you grill steak or meat too long--thats why I eat mine nice and rare.

I harass people that dont eat meat. I just do. Cant help it really. Its unnatural. Anti-evolutionary.

In philosophy there is that whole "mind-body-soul" distinction and by that, you could say biology would not necessarily account for all that it means to be human.

speed said:
I love meat. I could do a homer simpson musical on my love for dead animals. I love it rare and blody, I love it young (like lamb and veal), I love properly cooked specialty meats (From the lambs head, to tripe), I love it gamey. Not a day goes by that I dont consume meat--It would be very unmanly not to eat meat.

As for growth hormones--they are good for you, especially if you work out. The carcinogens, occur when you grill steak or meat too long--thats why I eat mine nice and rare.

I harass people that dont eat meat. I just do. Cant help it really. Its unnatural. Anti-evolutionary.

Hmmm...are you familiar with the works of Peter Singer? His book "practical ethics" is a good read for the topic of meat-eating Vs vegetarianism. I am not a vegetarian and have no problem with eating meat, oustide the taste.

The unnatural part can be countered with saying our ancestors did not have the knowledge that we do and the ability to eat a nutrient dense diet without meat and thus we should abstain because other, more human options are available. The anti-evolutionary thing makes me curious as to what you mean? My understanding is that our bodies find it difficult to process meat, and therefore we are not totally cut out for its consumption.

Just seems ridiculous to me that endless suffering is caused because we like the taste of an animals flesh.

speed said:
The carcinogens, occur when you grill steak or meat too long--thats why I eat mine nice and rare.
Heh, I eat mine that way because that's when it tastes best. If it doesn't scream when I stick my fork into it, it's too done.

Tripe... mmm.... dammit, I'm hungry now, and I just ate breakfast.

Final_Product- our stomach PHs are balanced to be carnivores. Activities such as hunting are good for game populations, since they prevent overpopulation. Animals eat animals- it's the natural order of things.

Cynical said:
Heh, I eat mine that way because that's when it tastes best. If it doesn't scream when I stick my fork into it, it's too done.

Final_Product- our stomach PHs are balanced to be carnivores. Activities such as hunting are good for game populations, since they prevent overpopulation. Animals eat animals- it's the natural order of things.

No worries, i'm gonna read up on this, anyways.

Cynical said:

One can only eat steak rare. A good Florentine tripe is hard to beat. Tongue is excellent. Really. It is tasty and has the most divine melt in your mouth texture.

I take the Ted Nugent if you are a carnivore, you better eat the whole damn thing approach to my eating.

Seriously, and if one is athletic or lifts weights, I think meat is essential.

I definitely want to become a vegetarian at some point .. it's just tough, having been raised on beef :/

judas69 said:

:lol: gonna have to agree with this one.

speed said:
One can only eat steak rare. A good Florentine tripe is hard to beat. Tongue is excellent. Really. It is tasty and has the most divine melt in your mouth texture.

I take the Ted Nugent if you are a carnivore, you better eat the whole damn thing approach to my eating.

Seriously, and if one is athletic or lifts weights, I think meat is essential.

I rarely eat meat, yet i keep a mean physique. I have no problem with meat eating, I just detest the taste :(

Status
Not open for further replies.