Please help with a studio build

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I am in the very beginning stages of planning a studio build.

I have a reasonable budget to work with.
I am not aiming to build a world class studio, my budget is not that big but I want something industry standard as possible with brands musicians will be happy to record on/with.

M biggest thought right now is about what console to build my studio around.
I can not afford a console like a Neve or most SSL, API type desks.
I will say for the moment that I will have a budget for the desk of $20k - $30k USD.

As I have not done this to this scale before I would appreciate advice on the different option I may have.

I want a minimum of 24 channel but would prefer 32 channel if I can get it.
I would consider a combo of desk and 500 series or similar.
DAW integration is important as far as tracking to digital is concerned but I plan to do all mixing ITB via a Raven in a separate post production room so flying faders is not a priority at all.

This is the console for tracking only but I would like to have some outboard to use during tracking.

Any ideas will be helpful at this point.

Cheers.

Instead of a desk i would build q custom dream multichannel setup. Instead of buying a desk with all the same preamps an eq, It can be better to build custom channels with different pres and outboard eqs and comps. This gives you tons of different flavors. Imagine having 8 neve style pres + 8 APIs + 4 top of the line (chandler maybe?) with different eqs (SSL, API, Harrison, kush) of you do this the you will have so many more colors to record but maybe you lose some functionality

Not the route I want to go down but thanks for the thought.

I am thinking Trident 88 at the moment but I have seen the smaller Toft range and I am curious as the desk will only ever be used for tracking only.

Does anyone have any thoughts one these desks?

Take it from a guy that uses a larger format console...go smaller than you think. AKA Allen and Heath GS3000 is perfect. I got in over my head and 2 years later are just now seeing the end of renovations. But nothing beats working with a console, specially with tracking. Cabling for just in and outs cost me a grand too. Toft is awful and you can get more for less these days. Soundtracs, Heath's, some GOOD condition studio Soundcrafts. I worked on and restored a Trident and while I loved it, it was build like poo compared to many. There are also component issues. My advice? Audient ALL the way.

Take it from a guy that uses a larger format console...go smaller than you think. AKA Allen and Heath GS3000 is perfect. I got in over my head and 2 years later are just now seeing the end of renovations. But nothing beats working with a console, specially with tracking. Cabling for just in and outs cost me a grand too. Toft is awful and you can get more for less these days. Soundtracs, Heath's, some GOOD condition studio Soundcrafts. I worked on and restored a Trident and while I loved it, it was build like poo compared to many. There are also component issues. My advice? Audient ALL the way.

This is interesting thanks.
I will look into Audient a bit more for sure.

I really just need something with nice enough pres for tracking so I don't have to worry too much about outboard pres for a little while at least.

With Tonelux you can really create a nice desk for that price. Keep in mind that the Paul Wolff (designer at Tonelux) also was the main guy at API for years.

Personally, with that budget, I'd go with a Tonelux V-rack setup combined with 2 API 500 10 rack spaces filled with API, Neve, Tonelux etc.etc. preamps.

If you're buying in bulk you will always get a discount. I bought 2 API's 512c's combined with a lunchbox, got a 15% discount.

http://www.tonelux.com/vrack_series.html

It seems crazy to me that you would buy a bad-ass console and not mix through it!

And for tracking, besides the pre's and EQ's, what are the benefits? Headphone mixes? I mean especially after the drums and/or basics if doing a whole band at once, it really is just a couple tracks at a time.

In that case, maybe a rack of 500 series preamps and EQ's and a digital console, so then you get compression, EQ, gates, recall, some DAW control, etc. Then you can really dial in killer headphone mixes. Obviously not a sexy, but a Behringer X32 would kill for that.

Unfortunately your $20-$30k price range in my eyes is that odd middle ground between the upper end live consoles which aren't super sexy, and just out of reach of the smaller slutty consoles (api, neve, ssl, etc.).

So for tracking only I would probably focus entirely on the pre's and I personally like the sound of all the same pre-amps rather than a bunch of different colors trying to work together. +1 Audient. I think you can get a smaller Harrison in your range. Also I would call Vintage King and look for something used. You might get lucky with a used API or smaller Neve, Quad Eight, or even MCI.

I would also consider like a Midas M32. On the cheaper side, maybe a Tascam 4800. Never used the M32, but I have used the Venice series in venues, they sound great! I have used the Tascam and actually the pre's and conversion are solid enough.

Why would you need 32 channels if not to mix with them ? Do you need 32 channels for recording at once ?

Yes I do a fair bit of full live band tracking.
I like to multi track too but nothing like the feel of tracking a band together.
Not metal of course but I don't record a lot of metal.

Hey if it turns out I can get a desk good enough to mix on I certainly will but yeah I figured I was right in that price bracket that makes it difficult which is why I considered Toft as a tracking only desk.

My goal was to track with a desk and limited use of outboard and then mix ITB with a Raven.