Polar oppositionalism in black metal

V.V.V.V.V. said:
You never return my calls.
I just don't think things will work out. I didn't know how else to tell you.

I've never seen one person pass so much gas in my life. And it was only THE FUCKING FIRST DATE!

anonymousnick2001 said:
And to tell the truth, I don't delve into the punk underground because I like the pop-punk bands like New Found Glory better than the underground stuff that I've heard. Persoanlly. IMO.
That's fine.
I simply don't want to see people exemplifying the ideas they think they hate.

No, no, that's all good. I perhaps misinterpreted your supposed tone in your post. I thought you were really riled up or something.

While it is an issue that far too many black metal bands would follow the now tired and overused formulae set down by the original black metal bands, I dont see this lasting much longer. The reason?

Look at this board. A generic black metal band comes along, and it'll get bashed into oblivion. The generic bands dont tend to last long, and their success is limited. However, innovative bands like Deathspell Omega or Drudkh are pretty popular among the inhabitants of this forum, and hopefully before long, budding musicians will start to realise this, so hopefully some more innovative bands will start to pop up before long.

Of course, the aformentioned bands are hardly gaining any form of commercial success (and much as I hate to say it, this will be required before the genre can start picking up again), so I fear it may be a while before people start to realise that the current crop of 'successful' black metal bands are infact worthless, and that they're going to have to start looking further underground for more worthwhile music.

LordFireworm said:
I can't believe the fucking hypocrisy on this forum.
You talk about punk like it begins and ends with Sum 41/New Found Glory Etc. yet when some yuppie gimp comes on here and starts rambling about Korn being their favourite metal band, the whole board goes up in arms.
PUNK is bands like Reigning Sound, Catholic Boys, Hunches, Real Losers and The Crucifucks. THERE IS AN UNDERGROUND.

Also, I'm aware that 99% of you hate the genre anyway, but please do yourselves a favour and don't talk shit.

I'll admit I don't know a great deal about punk, but you have to admit that the glory days of the genre are over. When I said it has become redundant, I didn't mean because of bands like Sum 41. They were never punk in the first place. I mean that a lot of bands see it as sufficient to play exactly the same style of music as the bands that came before them. The number of identikit hardcore punk, hardcore and grindcore bands should tell you this. I don't deny that there may be new and innovative punk bands, but they are a small minority, just like innovative black metal bands,

I recently read an interview with a member of Deathspell Omega, where he brings up some interesting points. To quote him.

"- Intellectualy, I'd dare to say a new generation -well, a couple dozen individuals worldwide, more realistically- is ready to break boundaries. Maybe certain individuals here and there have finally the will and understanding to truly materialise Black Metal out of the ashes of what it never fully was? Let me tell you that the real potential of Black Metal hasn't yet been realised. How could it be, when Black Metal nowadays is synonymous with close to no artistic vision but stands exclusively for a carbon copy of a sound, a non- attitude and non-ideas? Don't get me wrong, traditionalism is a valid aspect, but when no alternative to traditionalism is open anymore it is called stagnation, and stagnation equals artistic death. Had a literary movement reached such a rotting point, it'd have been laughed at and dismissed as ridiculous for years from the inside."

He makes a very good point.

The only reason Black Metal continues to thrive on the same style after nearly 2 decades of existence is because its an underground genre. If it had gained any mainstream recognition, it'd have been dead and buried long ago.

Tanith said:
Look at this board. A generic black metal band comes along, and it'll get bashed into oblivion. The generic bands dont tend to last long, and their success is limited.

That's true, and I'm pretty sure they're getting large amounts of praise in other areas of the black metal community, but they are far outnumbered by solid acts that offer nothing new. And sadly, a large amount of black metal fans and "journalists" seem to be willing to rate a good rendition of a stale genre as highly as a good rendition of something innovative. While it's true that these bands don't get as much success, there's a ridiculous amount of them. I think the problem is that too many black metal fans are willing to accept mediocrity, as long as it's perceived as "true".

I agree. However, what do you prefer, a solid act that does nothing new or a band that tries to push the envelope and...I dunno, something bad happens?

polarity said:
That's true, and I'm pretty sure they're getting large amounts of praise in other areas of the black metal community, but they are far outnumbered by solid acts that offer nothing new. And sadly, a large amount of black metal fans and "journalists" seem to be willing to rate a good rendition of a stale genre as highly as a good rendition of something innovative. While it's true that these bands don't get as much success, there's a ridiculous amount of them. I think the problem is that too many black metal fans are willing to accept mediocrity, as long as it's perceived as "true".
Correct.

polarity said:

A sad but true state of affairs. Still, i'd like to think the scene isn't completely fucked. Sooner or later, Black Metal bands and fans alike are going to have to start accepting that change is needed in order for the genre to survive. Even the most brain dead of Black Metal fans should get fed up of listening to the same album with a different name all the time.

Except for the fact that some people like the sound of blastbeats, epic melodies, and icy guitars, right?

polarity said:
I'll admit I don't know a great deal about punk, but you have to admit that the glory days of the genre are over. When I said it has become redundant, I didn't mean because of bands like Sum 41. They were never punk in the first place. I mean that a lot of bands see it as sufficient to play exactly the same style of music as the bands that came before them. The number of identikit hardcore punk, hardcore and grindcore bands should tell you this. I don't deny that there may be new and innovative punk bands, but they are a small minority, just like innovative black metal bands,
Actually I more or less agreed with your analogy. My only gripe is that punk did evolve. Firstly into hardcore and then into more diverse bands like Nation of Ulysses and Fugazi.
My initial post was born out of Cryptkeeper and AnonymousNick talking about punk like it only existed in Hot Topic outlets.