Popularity and the next album

"I hate the average music fan so much I won't even consider being their friend"

strange person.... this board is strange! lol..... you guys have to relax, music is suppose to be enjoyable, not one big argument.

np : Death - story to tell

I really don't know what to expect in the future from Opeth....
they have done so much and explored so many areas. I can't fathom an album to top all albums from them. But I know they are the type of band that can do it.

A lot of bandwagoners call them their favorite band only after hearing one album.....I used to think that I was "original" in liking them, but still.....I think few people actually appreciate ALL of the music they have like us "TRUE" fans do.
I play opeth on Guitar as much as I play Dream Theater or Metallica, so thats another way they influence me....most of these "5 minute" fans forget about them and toss them aside as "just another band"....

I'd like them to make an album to top all albums but I don't think it can happen. I'm just so eager to see what Mike decides to do next because he seems to be going into uncharted territory with his ideas. He seems to be getting more and more into prog but I know his love for oldschool DM will never leave his ideas. If I see some kind of blend of space rock and DM I'm gonna shit myself.

I think it was said that it was a concept album dealing with the occult so yeah it'll be satanic but its not like it'll be praising satan or stupid shit like that, itll probably be about someone who gets into a cult and cant get out or something. and since its dealing with the occult they'll probably be a ton of cool acoustic passages.

Something that's just struck me: Mikael said he wanted to do something edging on black metal, possibly with an occult theme. He also said he might make it a concept album. Now, i'm not sure how many of you are familiar with this character, but i think it would be awesome if he did a concept album on Faust (not the drummer).

I think it would AWSOME if he did a concept album about flower eaters. It would be a story not told before. It would be totally AWSOME! The story would feature MAny different characters played by all the other Opeth members. Mikael would be the narrator and the main guy of the story, called Mountain Top Man. He would be a badass flower eater. They would like get together anbd eat goddamn flowers for the first few songs and when the third song began, they would lose their magic scissors and they would be really bummed, man. Then all the characters would go on their own paths while searching for the scissors and all the following songs would be like innner monologues! IT WOULD RULE! After no one found the scissors they would get together as new LIKE men and speak about their experiences. Then GOD would come down from heaven, maybe with Jesus, and He would give new scissors to them, because they had learned valuable lessons in life. THEN THERE WOULD BE A HUGE TWIST AT THE END WHERE WE, THE LISTENERS, WOULD FIND OUT THAT IT WASN'T GOD, BUT INSTEAD IT WAS SATAN! AND HE HAS HIS EVIL PLANS AND ALL THAT STUFF, YOU KNOW THE STUFF, RIGHT? THEN THE NARRATOR WOULD SAY "TO BE CONTINUED" AND THERE WOULD BE THIS REALLY EERIE SCREAM AND THEN IT WOULD END! HOW FUCKING COOL WOULD THAT BE, HUH?!!!!!!!!??!!!

DreamingofUr said:
Coming from a fan of PT you are horribly mistaken and disappointing. I am against any and all images related to ones character. I'd spend my money on music and more music before ever buying even a tshirt of a band. Satanism is for complete idiots and I'm just sad you have to resort to name calling. Thats all it ever comes down to once you feel threatened and your views crushed. And its kinda hard to judge on my musical taste since I don't just listen to a handful of genres. All you know is I like Nile, Opeth and PT so far. All which are way above par in their genres. You prolly never even pay attention to PTs lyrics otherwise youd agree with me. Do us all a favor and remove the IA pic because you shame them with those totally lame and unthoughtout comments.
I see that sarcasm is lost on you. Maybe I'll have to dumb it down a shade. :p

What I posted was meant to illustrate how blindly ignorant and stupid your philosophy on tolerance is. I was sarcastically acting as someone who listens to "crap" as you call it, and was saying things about you that you have said about them. Everything you said about people who like music that is 'below you' could say exactly the same things about you and your music. It's all about respect... if another person likes a different style of music to me, I don't hold it against them, and I certainly don't stereotype them into a set of characteristics which may not even be true.

And its kinda hard to judge on my musical taste since I don't just listen to a handful of genres.
That's part of my point. How do you know those people listening to "crap" don't listen to Opeth, Porcupine Tree, etc etc? You don't. You just blindly file them into the 'mainstream conformist' category and forever have that preconception about them simply because of ONE kind of music they listen to. People could also do the same to you, and as we've seen you don't like that at all (even sarcastic posts like mine)... to stereotype someone as a satanist because they listen to heavy metal is a very stupid and often incorrect assumption. Just as the stereotype that someone who likes mainstream music is a shallow-minded conformist is also wrong.

Nope still not sold. I'll think what I want and you think what you want. The whole deal was the tolerance not the actual liking and thats if you bothered to read what I said. "I can't stomach that shit." The world is made up of what my mind tells me. Not what you say it is or what the masses say it is. I wish people can read before they reply or take their own advice and not judge someone.(not that I give a fuck about what people say I shouldn't judge) Damn I like the way that works out for us all. And how well can anyone know anyone or anything? No statements would be made by the average person if they had to be made with absolute certainty. I'd appreciate it if you lived where I did to so you can see first hand wtf I'm talking about. I hate being a product of my environment but thats what this is all from. Rap everywhere. Ebonics and silly bullshit everywhere you turn. Its rooted very deep and once again if you lived here for as long as I have you'd understand. I pressume people judge me and I don't let it bother me in the least because we are all allowed our judgements. It just depends on the reason of that person. I you want some info I've gathered on music and characters that I've had the chance to observe I'll email you more then enough to have you understanding my point of view.

golbez said:
I think it was said that it was a concept album dealing with the occult so yeah it'll be satanic but its not like it'll be praising satan or stupid shit like that, itll probably be about someone who gets into a cult and cant get out or something. and since its dealing with the occult they'll probably be a ton of cool acoustic passages.

Well, man, if you think that "occult" always means "Satanic," you are severly mistaken. It depends on what Mikael means by "occult." Occult generally refers to hidden teachings. There are many occult groups in the world today, and most of them don't worship Satan. However, I guess we'll just have to see what direction Mikael is heading with this album. And I agree with sands of the seas: a Faust concept album would be awesome!

DreamingofUr said:
Nope still not sold. I'll think what I want and you think what you want. The whole deal was the tolerance not the actual liking and thats if you bothered to read what I said. "I can't stomach that shit." The world is made up of what my mind tells me. Not what you say it is or what the masses say it is. I wish people can read before they reply or take their own advice and not judge someone.(not that I give a fuck about what people say I shouldn't judge) Damn I like the way that works out for us all. And how well can anyone know anyone or anything? No statements would be made by the average person if they had to be made with absolute certainty. I'd appreciate it if you lived where I did to so you can see first hand wtf I'm talking about. I hate being a product of my environment but thats what this is all from. Rap everywhere. Ebonics and silly bullshit everywhere you turn. Its rooted very deep and once again if you lived here for as long as I have you'd understand. I pressume people judge me and I don't let it bother me in the least because we are all allowed our judgements. It just depends on the reason of that person. I you want some info I've gathered on music and characters that I've had the chance to observe I'll email you more then enough to have you understanding my point of view.
I'm not trying to sell you on anything... I'm just pointing out how selfish and ignorant your attitude is. I don't care WHAT you do with yourself in your own life with your own friends, but don't come here and post negativity... it ruins it for everyone.

If you can't control your own emotions based on one guys feelings then you should get some help. Ruin it? Ruin what? And my friends? Philosophy isn't something I talk about often to just anyone. And it should be something people find for themselves and not something read in a book or taught in a class. Your an idiot from what I can see because all you do is think you know something about me and you don't know shit. I'm ignorant? Selfish? Am I supposed to think for everyone? Am I supposed to consider the feelings of the world when thinking? Are you the fuckin thought police? Realize you can't know why I feel certain ways because guess what...its been my life and my perception. Things aren't always in harmony and ideas will not present themselves to one person the way they are for everyone. Thanks for trying save this from the eyes of all those not able to control their feelings towards an idea they don't agree with. We should all praise you for your passion of censorship. My friends...I can't get over the assumptions people will make. Read before you reply as I so often have said. READ BEFORE YOU REPLY. Youd seem like a real champ if ya just realize what you sound like. If you don't care don't reply. People aren't 5 they can not read this you know. They don't need someone waving a cross at someone you believe to be selfish and ignorant.

why dont you just start a new argument post... that would simplify it so that i dont have to browse through and avoid the posts by dreamingofur and plattopus...

Pale Odysseus said:
Well, man, if you think that "occult" always means "Satanic," you are severly mistaken. It depends on what Mikael means by "occult." Occult generally refers to hidden teachings. There are many occult groups in the world today, and most of them don't worship Satan. However, I guess we'll just have to see what direction Mikael is heading with this album. And I agree with sands of the seas: a Faust concept album would be awesome!

True. I mean, even with Satanism, the definition is up for grabs. The Church of Satan (of Anton LaVey fame) is all about worship of the self, and a disregard/disbelief in higher beings...(not that I subscribe to any of it's teachings, I'm just very interested in the occult).

I couldn't really see Mikael writing about a historical/mythical figure per se... though I could maybe see some Faustian themes if that's what you mean.

Anyway, this whole 'occult' angle is interesting...can't wait for the new album!

While this may be nothing new for some of you, I found an audio interview with Mikeal so I've written it up for anyone interested. Its about the new album.

(I) Interviewer
(MA) Mikeal Akerfeldt

I: But um, are you writing new material now already?

MA: No I havent started because we've been on tour for, I dunno how long so
I havent had any time to write any new music. But I've got plans for what it should be like.

I: Yeah, so what should it be like? More direction with 60's, 70's influences?

MA: No I think its going to be... I'm thinking about doing some sort of occult theme, concept wise and have maybe 3 different songs on the album, you know each song is two parts, so each song is actualy 2 songs, but they're connected together. 3 realy long songs, like 20 minute songs or something.

I: Sounds a little bit like Tool

MA: Yeah yeah, well obviously with Tool as an influence. But it was just, you know I wanted some kind of... when I'm going to start writing for something new I want to have some kind of idea... not only write, you know, see what it ends up, I wanna have some idea, like the 2 album thing. I was excited about writing them and now I'm excited about writing this, whatever its gunna be but im thinking about doing something extremely heavy and beautiful at the same time. And maybe we'll take some influences off the Damnation album like melotromes (is that right?) and the use of vintage keyboards maybe, and see what we like. But under those terms I'm gunna try and write music for the next stuff.

I: Are you interested in the occult things?

MA: Yeah I'm pretty interested but I'm not a satanist or anything its just a...

I: It was full moon a couple days ago...

MA: Yeah I saw that. But you know when I grew up, when I got into death metal O was hugely into that stuff, and I was thinking about doing a bit of research for the lyrics and just to come up with some sorta story around that subject... I'm not saying its gunna some kinda... antichrist or something like that, just something that deals with the occult in some way, I dont know exactly what its gunna be like, but I was like, hmm, yeah, I wanna do something slightly satanic.

ShroudOfDusk said:
While this may be nothing new for some of you, I found an audio interview with Mikeal so I've written it up for anyone interested. Its about the new album.

(I) Interviewer
(MA) Mikeal Akerfeldt

I: But um, are you writing new material now already?

MA: No I havent started because we've been on tour for, I dunno how long so
I havent had any time to write any new music. But I've got plans for what it should be like.

I: Yeah, so what should it be like? More direction with 60's, 70's influences?

MA: No I think its going to be... I'm thinking about doing some sort of occult theme, concept wise and have maybe 3 different songs on the album, you know each song is two parts, so each song is actualy 2 songs, but they're connected together. 3 realy long songs, like 20 minute songs or something.

I: Sounds a little bit like Tool

MA: Yeah yeah, well obviously with Tool as an influence. But it was just, you know I wanted some kind of... when I'm going to start writing for something new I want to have some kind of idea... not only write, you know, see what it ends up, I wanna have some idea, like the 2 album thing. I was excited about writing them and now I'm excited about writing this, whatever its gunna be but im thinking about doing something extremely heavy and beautiful at the same time. And maybe we'll take some influences off the Damnation album like melotromes (is that right?) and the use of vintage keyboards maybe, and see what we like. But under those terms I'm gunna try and write music for the next stuff.

I: Are you interested in the occult things?

MA: Yeah I'm pretty interested but I'm not a satanist or anything its just a...

I: It was full moon a couple days ago...

MA: Yeah I saw that. But you know when I grew up, when I got into death metal O was hugely into that stuff, and I was thinking about doing a bit of research for the lyrics and just to come up with some sorta story around that subject... I'm not saying its gunna some kinda... antichrist or something like that, just something that deals with the occult in some way, I dont know exactly what its gunna be like, but I was like, hmm, yeah, I wanna do something slightly satanic.
FUCK YES.