Post the last film you watched and rate it out of 10!

Yeah Avatar's plot is basicaly regurgitated Pocahontas, but the CGI is unreal.

Okie dokie. That's all I needed to hear.

Thanks Jeff and others for saving me ten bucks
EDIT saw this movie anyway.

I'll give it a 5 just cause I was a space case and the 3D color and graphics were cool. Other than that jeff pretty much nailed it. I laughed really hard at some of the parts cause I couldn't believe how retarded it was. READ: ALIEN LOVE SCENES.

Fucking loved it. I too saw the resemblance with pochahontas, but the level of "EPIC" in this one me over. Loved how it basically tries to reflect what's going on in the global climate today and I found that it didn't evolve too many cliches and was original in its execution. Obviously, cliches are almost unavoidable, and it appealed to a mass audience, but I wasn't bothered by the way they were done.
I took it for what it is; sure it could have been done differently, but the way it was presented was fine by me.

'Unobtainium'? Why not make the ships out of 'Unfuckwithablebygoddamnedeight-foot-arrowsshotbytenfoottallbluestripedidiotswithnotech nologymoreadvancedthanstickswithstringsonthemium' if you're just going to be so blatantly pulling your own cum out of your ass and pretending that everyone else needs to see it and pretend that it's film writing?

Is that seriously worth being the opening line for your criticism? Something so trivial? Come on.

One of the best film experiences I had, loved it.

Is that seriously worth being the opening line for your criticism? Something so trivial? Come on.

One of the best film experiences I had, loved it.

It reflects the main idea - a great deal of potential, but they neglected things so simple all the way from names to fresh ideas and it just got stupid really quickly. It seems like they were expecting to get away with far too much just because they had fancy effects.

There are plenty of things along those lines - like the fact that the first scenes of piloting the gigantic doombirdthings show a character who clearly has no idea how internal monologue works and has to announce "Bank left! Level out!" to the thing *connected directly to his brain* but somehow "Oh, shit!" doesn't result in the creature soiling itself. (There goes everything from consistency to *the entire point of having a fiber optic connection between neurological systems*. Oops.) What's really annoying is that so many things like good casting and brilliant CGI went into the film but they couldn't spare even a mediocre, vaguely original plot. It seemed like they were expecting to pass off polished shit as jewelry.

Jeff

DONT FUCK WITH JAMES CAMERONS ART MANNN
ITS ART
DONT FUCK WITH IT

i bought goodfellas on bluray today
now THAT is a film that sets apart the men from the boys.

"I'm funny how? I mean, I'm funny like a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? How the fuck am I funny? What the fuck is so funny about me?...
:heh:

It reflects the main idea - a great deal of potential, but they neglected things so simple all the way from names to fresh ideas and it just got stupid really quickly. It seems like they were expecting to get away with far too much just because they had fancy effects.

There are plenty of things along those lines - like the fact that the first scenes of piloting the gigantic doombirdthings show a character who clearly has no idea how internal monologue works and has to announce "Bank left! Level out!" to the thing *connected directly to his brain* but somehow "Oh, shit!" doesn't result in the creature soiling itself. (There goes everything from consistency to *the entire point of having a fiber optic connection between neurological systems*. Oops.) What's really annoying is that so many things like good casting and brilliant CGI went into the film but they couldn't spare even a mediocre, vaguely original plot. It seemed like they were expecting to pass off polished shit as jewelry.

Jeff

*Spoilers*

Hmm, I see where you're coming from, and you make valid points, why not go that extra mile and fine tune certain things when so much effort was made on other aspects of the film?

About the birds being controlled by the people on top of them, I think that the actual voice had nothing to do with the controlling of the bird; it was just the inexperienced rider needing to voice his commands to feel secure, whilst the real bond was from within. In fact, all the other natural riders didn't need to shout commands if I remember correctly, except from a quick call his girlfriend exclaimed for it to take off, which I too took as an extra thing not required for the flying creature to understand. After all, the point was that creatures on Pandora were able to connect internally and feel one another; to some it's just a bunch of hippy crap but I find it really amusing and a sweet idea :oops:.

Also, I'm not gonna say too much on this because the details elude me since I saw it quite a while ago and it was a bit too much for me to understand on the first sitting, but I was watching a documentary about "Tomorrow's Humans" or something like that where it described a scientific venture where researchers were delving into the possibility of connecting two brains together to the effect that person A could think,feel,sense and know everything person B can by connecting neurons together. It sounded pretty damn far-fetched (and scary to some extent.) You probably know more about it than I Jeff, but when I saw the film I kind of took that concept in mind and found it pretty nifty the way they connected to each other using "fiber optic" connectors. I don't remember it specifying the biology of the connectors so it was left open to interpretation...and here we fall back on your point:

I think where the film lacks in scientific consistency and rigor it made up for in its message; maybe you didn't find it as powerful as I, but I sure loved seeing the expressions on people's faces when today's reality dawned upon them after seeing the similarities with global issues occurring at this moment. Imperialist regimes plundering for material resources, destroying cultures and people along the way as long as what is wanted is acquired.

Regarding cliches, obviously they were evident, but Cameron through in certain twists not to stick to a formula,

for example: the epic ceremony to revive the doctor woman who got shot failed, even though I was certain it would work considering the length of the scene and the general grandiosity of it all. It was a nicely placed anti-climax.

Also, the final battle between the general and our hybrid marine protagonist was nicely executed with speed temporarily winning over slow brute force, with the general being more cunning and going for the machine instead to come out on top; and yes...back to cliches....only to be stopped by his partner who managed to pull herself free from under a massive beast just in time to poke holes in his chest with her mighty arrow. At least she too was beaten by the general, and it was the combined effort of the two to take him down rather than the usual prince charming coming along and saving his significant other by slaying the oppressor.

Anyway, I understand your frustration, but only to a certain extent. I felt your criticism was a bit harsh, but if that's your style then no one is stopping you hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
inglorious bastards 9/10

gotta love näzis
Saw that when it came out in cinemas here.
Glorious movie (excuse the pun), 10/10 for me.

Same here! 9.2 on 10 for me. My only gripe is that (due to possible time restrictions) we didn't get an insight on all the basterds, and even though early on we get cool individual introductions accompanied by ballsy music and a nice oldschool graphic, we only get this for one or two members (the most important obviously), which kind of detracted from the whole "group feel" I thought the movie would revolve around judging from the name. I would have preferred if each member of the squad had a particular trait or scene to give him that so called 5-minutes of fame to bring out the awesomeness of each one and appreciate their brutal endeavours even more. Just my 2cents, great movie though.

"I'm funny how? I mean, I'm funny like a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? How the fuck am I funny? What the fuck is so funny about me?...

Haha man that scene even got me uneasy, sitting behind my computer screen...goes to show how well it was pulled off. Shiiit, amazing film.

I thought Basterds was too slow and overrated. Could've used more of the Basterds and less of the French girl. 7

my bud has it on bluray so im gonna try and get him to lend it to me (basterds.)

gonna possibly czech goodfellas tonight!

Death Proof 5/10

lolz @ Tarantino...still the only real good movie by him I've seen was Inglorious Bastards.
but never the less, death proof was quite amusing...at least the 2nd half.

Avatar 8/10. Looks wonderful, Final Fantasy meets Halo? and well, it's basically Pocahontas on steroids, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It seemed like they were expecting to pass off polished shit as jewelry.

Jeff

Still waiting for your epic original screenplay, Jeff. :)

Don't read too much into this, I say the following with the best intentions:

It's one thing to say you didn't like it for a cliched script, but to drone on endlessly about it seems like overkill.

If you hated it as much as you say you did, then please, go do better. Blow our minds.

As a film geek, I welcome it.

I went through film school & have made a few shitty movies in my time. Making a good one is very, very difficult. I give Avatar 8.5/10 ....Mainly, because it's infinitely better than anything I could ever do with film.

What frustrates me about that is that in a way the script was *worse than nothing*. Give me the same virtual world but cut out the plot and the thing would be amazing just for how well-done the visuals were at times - in that sense I wouldn't need a screenplay at all to do better.

Jeff

I'll admit I was pissed off when they said "unobtainium" too, at least in Moon they called it helium-3, which gets the mind wandering, where unobtainium is a bit ott, but for the visual experience, Avatar was epic, I just cant believe how far they have come with cgi, only 40% was filmed and 60% cgi or something, soon they will only need two actors and a few thousand programmers.

I give Avatar 8.5/10 ....Mainly, because it's infinitely better than anything I could ever do with film.

It's not really 8.5/10 then, is it? It's just better than what you could have done.

I can't sing, does that meaning I should give a mediocre singer a 9/10 because he's indefinitely better than me at what he is doing (especially if he is doing it as part of his profession)?

I do agree it's overkill, though, but I'm sure it was intentional to a degree and to be honest the post is quite funny :lol:

I haven't watched it myself and I'm still wondering if I should go see it. I prefer movies that aren't as shallow and cliche or at least ones that are funny but everyone is praising the visuals and I've only watched a 3D film once so I might go see it afterall. On the other hand, I watched the trailer and it was sooo stupid that I don't know If I can stand the whole thing.