Post your current playlist

Boris - Amplifier Worship/At Last, Feedbacker
Melvins - Lysol
Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer- Seven Psalms For Our Lord Of Light
Grief - Miserably Ever After/Turbulent Times
Toadliquor - The Hortator's Lament

Same shit I've been listening to for awhile now.

Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind, SixSixSix: SickSickSick
A Classic C93 album and the other one is a compilation of some out of print EPs that I've had on mp3 for awhile (and finally got it in the mail today woohoo!)

Sol Invictus - Lex Talionis, Let Us Prey
Lex Talionis is a classic that requires no introduction. Let Us Prey is a pretty cool live album from 1992.

Forseti - Erde, Jenzig
German dark folk. More actual "folk" than most other bands of the "dark folk" tag. Recommended.

Agalloch - Pale Folklore, OSWaP, The Mantle, From Which This Oak
No Introduction required

In The Woods... - Live at the Caledonien Hall
, 3x7 On Pilgrimage, Strange In Stereo, HEart of the Ages, Omnio
Again, no introduction required. Perhaps one of the best metal bands ever.

Nature and Organisation - Beauty Reaps The Blood Of Solitude

A long out of print album (from Michael Cashmore?) of Current 93. Appearances of David Tibet and Douglas P. on vocals. Excellent.

as for me:

Empyrium - Wintersunset
Better than Songs of Moors

Empyrium - Songs of Moors
Not as good as Wintersunset, but still nice.

Skyclad - everything
I am falling in love with this band. Heavy Metal. Folk. Thrash. Great Vocals. Meaningful lyrics. Just pure awesomeness. Prince of the Poverty Line is fantastic as is Irrational Anthems and Jonah's Ark. Hail Skyclad.

pretty much it

Henrik Main said:
Ingurgitating Oblivion - Voyage Towards Abhorrence
German brutal/tech DM that doesn't sound as "just another typical bland DM band", mainly because the ideas and song structures are highly interesting and tasteful. Thumbs up!

just downloaded this. wow its good. me like:D

As of late:

Glorior Belli - Ô Laudate Dominus
More orthodox black metal in the Deathspell Omega/Watain sense. Rather bloody good.

The Ruins of Beverast
Also black metal, lots of crazy leads and melodies and really interesting stuff that gives this an experimental edge, including lots of haunting atmospheric passages.

S.V.E.S.T - Urfaust
Standard black metal with great leads and fucking evil melodies.

Slough Feg - Atavism, Traveller
Yup.

Mournful Congregation - Monad of Creation
Good god... it just keeps getting better with every listen.

J. said:
god damnit god damn nad rules.
haha.

i haven't even spent much time with that arcane sun yet, but it's very much a cool album. that dude's clean vocals rule.

Boris - Akuma no Uta

Japanese drone with some rock tracks tossed in.

Slough Feg - all of em, they just fucking rule!

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning

Old-school doom rock from 1982 or some such, songwriting you'd probably kill to be able to replicate.

Witchcraft - Firewood

Wishes they were the above, but still good.

Brant Bjork - ...and the Operators, Jalamanta

Extremely relaxed, cool 70s pop-rock with trippy stuff going on sometimes and funny lyrics.

Unida - El Coyote

Killer rock'n'roll band. I just gave my CDR of this to my friend who said he needed some new music as he's burning out on all the classic rock he usually listens to. This should do him nicely.

Age Of Silence - Acceleration
Another norwegian "all star" group - pure progressive metal, amazing vocals, inspired keyboards, special songs. I love the lyrics
Mayfair - Die Flucht
The best progressive rock of the 90s, one of the most underrated bands of the 90s, unique as few, even though many would love em.
The Atomic Bitchwax - II
With Ed Mundell of Monster Magnet. Sabbath-ic HEAVY rock, crushing riffs, boozy atmosphere, and tension to jump in a pool of acid.
Biglieto Per L'Inferno - s/t
Italian hard/prog of the 70s. Italian vocals that rule, challenging songs, and outstanding ideas.
Popol Vuh - Aguirre
The soundtrack of the s/t movie of Werner Herzog, from one of the best kraut bands. Dreamy and with an enormous ability to make you see things. Forget about "drone" shit, this is the real thing.

J. said:
Skyclad - everything
I am falling in love with this band. Heavy Metal. Folk. Thrash. Great Vocals. Meaningful lyrics. Just pure awesomeness. Prince of the Poverty Line is fantastic as is Irrational Anthems and Jonah's Ark. Hail Skyclad.
Sounds interesting. What is their sound like?

Zod

Why are people so late to Empyrium and Skyclad? Aside from Agalloch, not sure if there are any other bands hailed unanimously as much round these parts....

I figure when at least 10 people hail a band on this board, it's gotta be worth checking out a sample at least...

If any forum on UM needs a search function, it's this one.

General Zod said:
Sounds interesting. What is their sound like?

Zod

Hail Skyclad indeed. I think you'd really dig 'em Zod, very personal, heartfelt lyrics about all kinds of issues (many British in nature since that's where the band hail from). Awesome blend of folkish influences with "soft" thrash, so to speak, and also good old rock 'n roll many times with catchy melodies. Very unique, very original, very recommended. The further back you go, the heavier they get, but they never really lost their edge. However, the founder and main driving force of the band (vocalist/guitarist Martin Walkyier) left the band after the "Folkemon" album. Their back catalogue is deep and substantial with "Prince of the Poverty Line", "Silent Whales of the Lunar Sea", "Wayward Sons of Mother Earth" and "A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol" probably being the most highly recommended from me, but really, you can't go wrong with most of their stuff. :)

JK...

Whenever bands are spoken of highly on this board, I make it a point to checck them out. I even tend to give them more spins than I would if they were recommended elsewhere. I just don't recall reading much about these guys on RC or seeing their discs appear in any Top 10 lists. I think you need to start an "RC Essentials" thread.

Dark One...

Thanks for the breakdown. I will be hunting for these when I get home this evening.

Zod

General Zod said:
JK...

Whenever bands are spoken of highly on this board, I make it a point to checck them out. I even tend to give them more spins than I would if they were recommended elsewhere. I just don't recall reading much about these guys on RC or seeing their discs appear in any Top 10 lists.

There definitely was a thread either about them or that evolved into one about them recently, it may not have been easy to spot though. But, yeah, I have seen them lauded around these parts before.

About the Top 10 lists though.... the majority of what most fans consider essential Skyclad is definitely Martin Walkyier era Skyclad, which ended before most of us started the RC annual Top 10 tradition, save for the "Folkemon" album, which received lukewarm reviews, though I personally think it is very underrated.

General Zod said:
I think you need to start an "RC Essentials" thread.

Excellent idea! I fully concur. That would be a great reference tool - just be sure to keep bumping it from time to time, particularly due to the absence of the search function.

General Zod said:
Dark One...

Thanks for the breakdown. I will be hunting for these when I get home this evening.

No problem.

Katatonia - Tonight's Decision
Ulver - Lyckantropen Themes
Canaan - A Calling to Weakness
Arcturus - The Sideshow Symphonies
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Raison d'Être - The Empty Hollow unfolds
Velvet Cacoon - Geneviève
System of a Down - Mesmerize

How weird is that!

General Zod said:
I think you need to start an "RC Essentials" thread.
i think this could work if we set an essential being classified if 5/10/25/whatever people agree on it, because i can just about guarantee that there isn't a single album everyone here agrees on being a masterpiece.