Post your Hauls!

I tried something different pre-ProgPower this year. I hadn't bought CDs in a LOOOONG time, so I bought a bunch right before I went to Mecca, I mean Atlanta. It worked. I bought only 5 CDs while I was there, meaning I had a lot less weight to drag back with me. Here's what I picked up in the last two weeks:

Newer stuff
Circle II Circle - Delusions of Grandeur Love Zak Stevens
Judas Priest - Nostradamus Not their best, but like the album
Cloudscape - Global Drama Up and coming band. So far (two listens), this hasn't grabbed me as much as the debut, but still good stuff.
Firewind - Premonition Standard powermetal, but like the vocals and Gus G
Gamma Ray - Land of Free II Not up to the original, but a better album than their last two. They were great live.
Falconer - Among Beggars and Thieves LOVE Falconer. This album isn't as heavy as past Mathias works, but still very good.
Iced Earth - Crucible of Man Iced Earth. Barlow. Say no more. This one is growing on me.
Jon Oliva'S Pain - Global Warning Savatage is my favorite band. This is the new Savatage. Jon has his old vocal chords back. Criss Oliva has some writing credits. Awesome.
Machine Men - Circus of Fools Nothing original, but I like what I hear from this power band.
Pagan's Mind - God's Equation I meant to buy this one after the last PP. These guys blew me away live.
Pathosray - Pathosray Great proggy debut.
Pyramaze - Immortal Barlow. Pyramaze song writers. No brainer part two.
Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary Really like both albums from them. This one continues with the great hooks and melodies.
Avantasia - The Scarecrow Haven't listed much, but I like the whol Avantasia project.
Evergry - Torn Hey, it's Evergrey. More of the same, but in a good way.
Ayreon - 01011001 DVD Special Edition I was disappointed that I didn't buy the DVD version of the Human Equation. I laid out the money for this one.
Sabaton - Art of War Special Edition Couldn't find this in a standard edition, so I bought the deluxe, which comes with Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' book. I heard this album and liked it, and bought it before they were announced for PP X.

A few are filling in albums that I like but hadn't purchased yet
Angra - Aurora Consurgens
Lana Lane - Love is an Illusion

Four, count 'em, four blind buys

Suspyre - When Time Fades… Highly recommended. Haven't listened yet.
Avian - Ashes of Madness I like Lance King and heard good things about Avian (of course, I think I heard them from Lance King).
Lana Lane - Red Planet Blvd Listened once. It's okay, but a little too mellow.
Red Circuit - Trance State Heard a lot about this, but never listened to it. Chity is a great singer, and this has some good music to it.

These were in The End's bargain bin. I loved the old WS. The John West stuff got good reviews, so I decided to give it a try.
Warrior Soul - Drugs, God and the New Republic
Warrior Soul - Last Decade Dead Century
John West - Long Time...No Sing

So, I'm done buying for quite a while.

Steve in Philly

Firewind - Premonition Standard powermetal, but like the vocals and Gus G
Falconer - Among Beggars and Thieves LOVE Falconer. This album isn't as heavy as past Mathias works, but still very good.

Agree on both counts.

Avantasia - The Scarecrow Haven't listed much, but I like the whol Avantasia project.
Ayreon - 01011001 DVD Special Edition I was disappointed that I didn't buy the DVD version of the Human Equation. I laid out the money for this one.
Sabaton - Art of War Special Edition Couldn't find this in a standard edition, so I bought the deluxe, which comes with Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' book. I heard this album and liked it, and bought it before they were announced for PP X.

The "Scarecrow" is a very good album way better than the previous Avantasia albums, I{m sure you'll like it a lot. Ayreon dissapointed me with this one, I found it weaker than THE. "The Art Of War" is a very good album not as good as "Primo Victoria" but still worth to have it and to listen to the guys live next year.

A few are filling in albums that I like but hadn't purchased yet
Angra - Aurora Consurgens
Lana Lane - Love is an Illusion

Lana Lane - Red Planet Blvd Listened once. It's okay, but a little too mellow.

Angra one is a bit weak, the best from Falacci era still is "Rebirth", as for Lana Lane I'm surprised to find another fan (although I believe TSO like it too). LIAI was her debut and is pretty solid, RPB on the other side is mellower as has been her latest albums in general maybe with the exception of "Lady Macbeth". I still have "Secrets Of Astrology" as her best work to the date.

I already have up to "The Magician's Birthday" and I'm considering getting the rest of the Box/Byron/Kensley albums are they worth it?
Kensley? :D

Well it definitely goes downhill from Magician's Birthday onward. Wonderworld has about 2-3 great tracks and the rest is rather forgettable.

To be honest your money would be better spent by getting the new UH album next.

Kensley? :D

Well it definitely goes downhill from Magician's Birthday onward. Wonderworld has about 2-3 great tracks and the rest is rather forgettable.

To be honest your money would be better spent by getting the new UH album next.

Hensley damn it, I don't know why I always had that K in my mind. Thanks for the advice even if I'm not fond of UH without the classic trio.

Hour Of 13 - "Hour Of 13".

Goddamn fuck it. I bought it on e-bay on July and never showed up so after a month I discussed it with ther seller and for a S&H extra he agreed to send it again. Now it just arrived the first package, it took over 2 months to come from Brazil! Fuck the snail mail in South America, I have received stuff from Europe in 10 days. I'm totally pissed off since I'm gonna end with two copies of the album, oh well I'll see if I find how to trade it here :mad:

Circus Maximus - Isolate
This is not really blowing me away yet. They're standing more on their own two feet here than on the heavily DT/SymX influenced debut but I feel the songwriting was tighter on that one. Need to listen more. The singer is still excellent.

This album became my best of 2007. First listen I must have been distracted as I didn't think of it as the awesome album it is.

So, for me, it has become one of my modern day classics, joining the "classic" category that houses such bands as Queensryche, Crimson Glory and Dream Theater.

If I had to describe the album to someone who hasn't heard it, I tell them: Take Dream Theater's 'Awake', mix in some Queensryche 'Empire' and add a splash of Crimson Glory 'Trancendence' you get Isolate.

LOVE IT!

Now my recent haul from ProgPower USA:

Power Quest - Master of Illusion (Awesome power metal with a melodic touch)
Time Requiem - Optical Illusion (Not bad, liked the earlier albums more)
Avantasia - Lost in Space 1 & 2 (Eh..)
Saint Deamon - In Shadows Lost From the Brave (Pretty awesome debut)
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II (Majestic didn't do much for me, they're back on track with this one!)
Wicked Waltz - Chapter I (up and coming band, good stuff)
Giant - Last of the Runaways (glad I found this on CD!)
Magician - Tales of the Magician (need to listen still, likd the MySpace stuff I had heard in the past)
Firewind - The Premonition (Not as good as Allegiance)
Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos (WOW - his best yet)
Kamelot - Ghost Opera Second Coming (Kamelot can do no wrong...)
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement 2 disc edition (still listening)
Suspyre - When Time Fades (Deep album, still sinking in)
Royal Hunt - Collision Course (Hm, not bad, not bad. No lyrics or booklet, that SUCKS. Last Magna Carta disc I buy, they've become too cheap and cut too many corners on release quality).
Ebony Ark - When The City is Quiet (Hm, disappointed. Loved the debut, this didn't do much for me).
Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Barlow returns, me like!)
Xystus - Equilibrium (Hm, not bad. Lacks something I can't quite put my finger one yet...)
Myrath - Hope (awesome! For fans of Symphony X)

If I had to describe the album to someone who hasn't heard it, I tell them: Take Dream Theater's 'Awake', mix in some Queensryche 'Empire' and add a splash of Crimson Glory 'Trancendence' you get Isolate.

Well, now you've done it! I have to go back and relisten. On first listen it didn't do a whole lot for me (like you said, "must have been distracted").

Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos (WOW - his best yet)
Myrath - Hope (awesome! For fans of Symphony X)

Great calls. That Myrath disc was bloody awesome.

Time Requiem - Optical Illusion (Not bad, liked the earlier albums more)

I agree totally on Time Requiem and Firewind, as for the Avantasia EPs I don't regret to have bought them since they fill up the tape in which I have "The Scarecrow" (without 'Lost In Space' repeated of course) :D

This album became my best of 2007. First listen I must have been distracted as I didn't think of it as the awesome album it is.

So, for me, it has become one of my modern day classics, joining the "classic" category that houses such bands as Queensryche, Crimson Glory and Dream Theater.

LOVE IT!

After 2 thorough relistens, I absolutely love the disc! To me, it's somewhere between Awake (DT), Twilightning's S/T, Darkwater, and a touch of QRyche.

My only real gripe with the disc comes from it's very LOUD mastering job. You're hit with the same 0db wave for virtually the entire disc which makes listening for anything longer than about 2-3 songs painful for the ears if you want to listen to it with any great matter of volume.

That aside, It's an absolutely stunning disc - strong production and impressive musicianship. I can't figure out why it didn't really grab me before. Mike Eriksen is an incredible singer - his approach reminds me of James Lebrie, but his range and tone are superior. If I do end up going to PPX, I fully expect an asskicking from these guys!

Magician - Tales of the Magician (need to listen still, likd the MySpace stuff I had heard in the past)

Royal Hunt - Collision Course (Hm, not bad, not bad).

I didn't purchase The Saint Deamon debut. I was waiting to see how they performed. Well, they were really tight, energetic, had great energy and some excellent vocal choruses (always love the bands that really perform the choruses live). Nice Choice.

I'm curious to hear about the Magician album. I've been hearing a lot of buzz on it.

Royal Hunt - Mark Boals is a good singer, but I think he's not as good for this band as DC Cooper or John West. The new one is a little better than their recent work, but it isn't better than their earlier discs.

Steve in Philly

Pentragram - First Daze Here

Witchcraft - Firewood
Witchcraft - The Alchemist (pure retro-doom)

BifElf - Cheat the Gallows
BigElf - Money Machines (true mix of the Beatles, Queen, and a hint of classic Sabbath)

Eternal Elysium - Spiritualized D (total Sabbath Volume 4 worship....but with amazing hooks)

Earthless - Rythyms from a Cosmic Sky
Earthless - Sonuic Prayer (some of the best Hendrix inspired jamming yet!)

Graveyard - Graveyard (literally, the second coming of Cream but with a darker, heavier bite)

Trouble - Plastic Green Head (not as good as expected)
Trouble - Manic Frustration (one of my all-time fav albums...FINALLY owned on CD!)

Tesla - Forever More (they continue to dominate)

Sienna Root - Far From the Sun (Captain Beyond meets Zeppelin meets Sabbath....there's just so much great new rock/metal coming out these days....it's a true golden age)

Yngwie - War to End All Wars
Yngwie - Attack!
Yngwie - Alchemy

Pink Cream 69 - Games People Play
Last Action Hero Soundtrack ($2)
Dokken - Beast From the East
Testament - Souls of Black
Great White - Latest and Greatest
Great White - S/T
Great White - Psycho Motel
Great White - Shot in the Dark
The Cult - Beyond Good and Evil
Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue

Most of these were under $5

Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase (Just like Warrel Dane, Jeff stands up well outside the confines of Nevermore, though arguably most of the stuff on this could have been Nevermore songs easy enough.)

Gorgoroth - Ad Majoram Shatanas Glorium / The Twilight of the Idols
Enslaved - Vertebrae

Anvil - Forged in Fire
Running Wild - Under Jolly Roger
Midas Touch - Presage of Disaster
Laaz Rockit - City's Gonna Burn
Laaz Rockit - Know Your Enemy
Laaz Rockit - Annihilation Principle
Raven - Wiped Out
Raven - Live at the Inferno
Chronical Diarrhoea - Salomo Says
Deathrage - Selfconditioned-Selflimited
Tyrant - Mean Machine

Good one! Tho my favorite is One Size Fits All. I can listen to that one over and over.

I saw the PC69 disc in a local used CD store and had to grab it. Good album. I could have blown about a grand in there, with the economy in the shitter, everyone must be selling their CDs.

I've got One Size currently on it's way here, being shipped from an ebay auction.

Sweet. Signs Of Danger is probably my favorite PC69 song (tho I haven't really heard much from the Readman era) The first one's really good too. Nice, straight forward hard rock.

Although I'm a fan of both eras, I prefer Readman's work with the band. Electrified is among my favorite albums (and is obviously my favorite PC69 disc). Well worth checking out.