PP USA X: Major roster changes

As much as I'd have loved to see Andre Matos and Vanden Plas (again), the specifics of each PPUSA lineup seem to matter less and less each year. It's the festival experience in general - the people, hanging with friends, dropping a paycheck in the vendors' room, and yes, the bands - that make PPUSA the highlight of my year. Where else can you watch a European power metal band live, walk out and buy King Kobra reissues, and debate the finer points of Angra's back catalogue, all the while knowing you have something in common with everyone you see? With few exceptions, I've enjoyed every band's performance since 2001 and have no doubt I will again this year.

I spent about a grand (return airfare & hotel) and am not really upset. The best laid plans of mice and men etc.

This is my chance to see a whole bunch of bands at one time. If the roster changes, the substitutes are usually just as good if not better (imho). The spirit of the festival is what really impressed me last year. Which is the main reason I'm attending this year!

I agree with you. Last year was the first year that I really didn't come to see a particular band on the bill per se, but I came for the overall experience. A ton of bands, great CD vendors, and a weekend-long party atmosphere (and some awesome friends that I only get to see once a year).

Sure, it's a metal festival and you get to see a whole bunch of talented bands that otherwise you probably won't see here in the US - but if all you want is to see just one band and the rest of the weekend is a waste, maybe you shouldn't come to ProgPower? Just my 2 1/2 cents.

I'm am beyond upset. I am beyond angry. I feel like I have been stolen from. I bought my concert tickets and my plane tickets about a week ago for one reason, Vanden Plas. I did not want to see any of the other bands, I was only going to the showcase. And now I have wasted $550.

I thought the whole reason for waiting to post the showcase ticket links was to make sure everything was sorted out? The ticket links never should have been posted unless it was finalized. I flew into Atlanta last year for one reason, Vanden Plas. I flew all the way out there only to find out once I was there that they weren't going to be coming. I figured that couldn't happen again. That's why precautions were taken and the link for the tickets weren't going to be posted early. I waited to buy my plane tickets until after that, hell I waited at least another week before I committed.

Now I feel I have been played for a fool, I fell for the same tricks twice. I may be able to get a refund for my concert tickets (I better be able to at least) but the the remaining $450 for the plane tickets is a complete waste. I looked into the airline's policy and you can get a refund if it's been within 7 days since you ordered them, well guess what... it's been 8 days now.

I went to progpower IV to see Nightwish and Vanden Plas. I went last year to try and see Vanden Plas again. But now I don't care if you ever have another progpower, whether you do or not I am never coming again. You will not steal from me a third time.
I won't mince words here. Read Glenn's original post again and see where it's up to the GOVERNMENT no matter what the case to allow visas as they see fit.

I just didn't have the money to fork over for a lineup I didn't care for.

Neither do I, that's why I skipped PPVIII and PPIX. But just because of this issue doesn't mean we can't show some support in the forum.

Right now Glenn is hesitant about doing PPXI and with some posters overreacting, charging the place with negativism will not help Glenn, the rest of the fans or metal.

Damn, I wish a perfect festival with all the bands I love, every year, cheap and near me. But alas I live in a country were basically no one ever comes, I can't afford to travel to USA, Europe or even South America for a simple gig.

So when a chance like PPUSA comes even if it's not the dream team, I try my best to go and enjoy and being grateful to the promoters and bands (and my buddies for find me a place to crash :kickass:) for make it possible.

I'm am beyond upset. I am beyond angry. I feel like I have been stolen from. I bought my concert tickets and my plane tickets about a week ago for one reason, Vanden Plas. I did not want to see any of the other bands, I was only going to the showcase. And now I have wasted $550.

I thought the whole reason for waiting to post the showcase ticket links was to make sure everything was sorted out? The ticket links never should have been posted unless it was finalized. I flew into Atlanta last year for one reason, Vanden Plas. I flew all the way out there only to find out once I was there that they weren't going to be coming. I figured that couldn't happen again. That's why precautions were taken and the link for the tickets weren't going to be posted early. I waited to buy my plane tickets until after that, hell I waited at least another week before I committed.

Now I feel I have been played for a fool, I fell for the same tricks twice. I may be able to get a refund for my concert tickets (I better be able to at least) but the the remaining $450 for the plane tickets is a complete waste. I looked into the airline's policy and you can get a refund if it's been within 7 days since you ordered them, well guess what... it's been 8 days now.

I went to progpower IV to see Nightwish and Vanden Plas. I went last year to try and see Vanden Plas again. But now I don't care if you ever have another progpower, whether you do or not I am never coming again. You will not steal from me a third time.

Trust me, nobody care about your opinion especially after Glenn posted the reasons why the tickets links are release before.Plus you are probably the only person in this forum that would not care about if there is going to be more festivals.

If you cannot get a refund for your tickets I'll gladly take them off your hands.

Things happen with a festival like this. It is not the fault of the promoter. Even when my favorite band, Nevermore, did not play PPUSA VII I still went and enjoyed the festival.

The show must go on and will go on.

I think that it's definitely frustrating when money is invested in something that you desperately want and plan for, especially in these tough economic times.

However, losing $550 bucks doesn't smart nearly as much as the THOUSANDS of dollars that Glenn has invested in the bands that end up being prohibited from coming to this country.

Look, it's disappointing and horribly inconvenient to spend money on a band that you miss seeing twice in a row.
Lame.
I'd be pissed off too, but that's certainly no reason to be such a punkass about it.

When life hands you lemons (no Vanden Plas two years running) make lemonade (enjoy the experience of being at PPUSA two years running).

Glenn was handed dog shit (he lost four bands that he had promised to have) and managed to turn it into chocolate truffles (holy silver masks, Batman!).

you must not have any friends that go to ProgPower dude...You have a right to feel the way you do I guess but don't make it seem like you were robbed. No one put a gun to your head and told you to buy the plane ticket when you did or even buy a ticket in the first place. It's not exactly in the hands of the promoter (as the dead horse has been beaten on that point)...I know this first hand from working with Pathfinder Promotions. Shit happens to Pathfinder Shows and its not exactly our fault; it sucks to see my dad get blamed for the mess by ignorant people just like you that don't even care to try and understand half the 'behind the scenes' mess.

Strong replacements were found and I couldn't be more satisfied about it, especially seeing as how I never quite got into Tomorrow's Eve in the first place, I'm pleased with the change and I've been wanting to see Cage for a while now. Glenn has done a fine job and I have no doubts Shane will do a superior job nailing a fantastic replacement for the showcase.

but like most people I would assume, one less person like you at the fest is fine by me. More alcohol and goody bags for everyone else. :headbang:

I will leave after this post.

I realize that there is a timeline involved, but the fault came with the posting of the showcase tickets, not when promotion began. Promotion began long before the tickets went on sale, which I am fine with. Get the word out. However, it was stated on this forum (in an official thread, mind you) that the sale of the showcase tickets was specifically postponed to avoid a situation exactly like this one.

They wanted to make sure there weren't any visa problems before any tickets were sold. The tickets were put up a week or two later, which sent a message that there was no longer anything to worry about. Obviously they should have been postponed a little longer. This is why I feel cheated. Vanden Plas and others still wouldn't be coming, but it would have saved some people a lot of money, in my case $550. So yeah... I'm angry.

I realize that government factors are out of your hands, Glenn. A lot of this is out of your hands. Some of you think I don't know this, but my complaints don't deal with that aspect. Many of you are bashing me and calling me names when my complaint is legitimate.

“Huge Disappointment” is an understatement...I was soooo excited to finally see Vanden Plas this year! :cry:

Kudos, though, to Glenn for making the best of a crappy situation -- and to the new additions to the roster for filling in at the 11th hour!

This will be my fourth ProgPower – this festival has become one of the highlights of my year. You could never put a price tag on the fun I’ve had, the fabulous people I’ve met, and the great music I’ve enjoyed -- much of which I never would have been exposed to if not for ProgPower. I’d hate to see it come to an end after 2010 because of some paper pusher. :mad:

Is there any chance the local media would pick up the story about the unfairness of the immigration process -- and the impact on Atlanta’s economy if a decision is made to discontinue the festival? With the economy in the toilet, surely the city of Atlanta can use the $$$ that the attendees spend each year on hotels, food, transportation, etc..

They will NOT give you an explanation to why your visa got denied or anything like that.

You know what wouldn't surprise me? If this were a quota system and you just happened to be the wrong application number for the month. Homeland security: denying X amounts of applications each month to keep terrorists out.

That aside, Sucks about Vanden Plas, but I'm ten fold happier with the new line up! Crimson Glory is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I'll likely never get to see those guys again (along with the rest of us).

Also: my vote for VP's replacement (like it matters anyways!): Dream Evil!

Visa's is just part of a list a gazillion miles long that is wrong with this Country/Government, and the path its heading on.

That is for another place, and another time though.

Now everyone shut up and pay your carbon taxes. :lol:

Not to add to the (much deserved) posts bashing you... but if you're willing to spend so much money just to see Vanden Plas, why not travel to Europe and see them, and get a nice international vacation out of it, too?

You know what wouldn't surprise me? If this were a quota system and you just happened to be the wrong application number for the month. Homeland security: denying X amounts of applications each month to keep terrorists out.

I was wondering about that as well. Only so many people can get in at a given time, the rest are denied access.

Also: my vote for VP's replacement (like it matters anyways!): Dream Evil!

While I like Dream Evil, they're not a "replacement" by any means for Vanden Plas. Good band just totally different genres.

Not to add to the (much deserved) posts bashing you... but if you're willing to spend so much money just to see Vanden Plas, why not travel to Europe and see them, and get a nice international vacation out of it, too?

That's what *I'm* doing! Evergrey seems to be having issues getting over here this year, so ... I'm going over there. :p (really, it was just a good excuse to go back to Europe for a week for the first time in five or six years, and throw in a few days of METAL on top of it all.)

Come to think of it, I was in a similar situation - one of the people who had already bought plane tickets to one of E's shows (DC rather than Atlanta). I was a little pissed off when they canceled two weeks later, but I still went up to DC/Baltimore and had a good time anyway.

It's all in your attitude. Shit happens that's out of your control and you make the best of it and move on.

I can understand your initial shock. Just so you know though, Progpower is such a beautiful event in terms of the people and fellowship of meeting others with the same musical interests that you are really short-changing yourself if you don't go! The location is awesome, the people that attend are great, vendors where you can find some true gems to purchase. You've got an international city, great places to see and eat. After parties that you never know whose gonna drop in and say hello.

Keep an open mind!