Propose a potential realistic lineup here!

Moonsorrow didn't have much of a following in the US in 2005 as they do now though.

Remember, another problem with myspace stats, is that its accounting for the entire world, not just a region. The only accurate judgment is word of mouth when you're basing it from a region. Even then it can be a problem as most of them won't put their money where their mouth is and actually come support the band. They're content with downloading their albums and calling it a day.

I'll be at the fest pretty much regardless of lineup myself. One or two bands that appeal to me in the slightest way will be more than enough. Had so much fun last year that I don't see why I wouldn't make a repeat showing.

Ok, so I finally checked out Nachtmystium this weekend. I picked up their last disc, Instant:Decay.

Damn solid stuff! Can't believe this music comes from a band from Chicago (I think some members might hail from Wheaton!)

I think their unique brand of experimental meets black metal would be a good pick for any festival.

Their next album is going to be released on Century Media next year. They have recently toured with everyone from 1349 to Sunn O)))) (Pate's favorite band!!!)

Timing would be perfect to pick up these guys. I have never seen them live, so I have no clue how they draw, though they must do semi-well, given the number of tours they get on and the number of labels who have released their stuff.

I totally agree on Nachtmystium. I have listened to a few songs...not bad, I think they would definetly draw in people that follow black metal and also give them more exposure to people who wouldnt listen to them at all because they are black metal. I even had them on my list from last week.

I totally agree on Nachtmystium. I have listened to a few songs...not bad, I think they would definetly draw in people that follow black metal and also give them more exposure to people who wouldnt listen to them at all because they are black metal. I even had them on my list from last week.

Yeah, they are one of those bands where a lot of people haven't heard them yet, esp if you aren't into black metal.

I think, like Enslaved for example, people who hear them would be like, "Whoa! I didn't expect them to sound like that??"

I have not heard of these guys playing any big festivals yet, so it could be a good deal for all involved.

I mean, if Powerfest had Withering Soul last year, they could certainly consider Nachtmystium........right?????

Nachtmystium did sort of a co-headlining tour with Watain like last month, and I know that at least a few of those shows drew decently.

Yeah, they are on a lot of tours.
I have seen their name pop up many times over the past couple of years.
I think though that they have previously only played to the niche dark/black/death metal crowd.

With the Century Media deal, could be a good idea for them to branch out a bit. I think they could easily win over some new fans.

Of course a band like Turisas with a younger fanbase would have a higher My Space hit than Candlemass.

You say this like it invalidates the myspace method. But isn't the point of this to discuss how many people a band might draw to a concert? And don't you think that the myspace kids who love Turisas are going to be more likely to get off their ass and go to a show than some old dude who used to like Candlemass 15 years ago?

Unless we're limiting Powerfest to old people only? "No myspace kids allowed!!!"

Neil

Neil,
I think you missed my point completely.

I am simply saying that a band like Candlemass, who has older fans, probably have a larger percentage of their fanbase who is NOT online, as opposed to a younger band where the majority of the fanbase is online.

Therefore, my point is that those figures alone can't fully justify who is more popular. Any figure like that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just like album sales. Not every sale made is scanned, etc.

I say it ALL the time, that Powerfest, and any fest, needs a good mix of bands, young / old, different genres, etc.

There are lots of older lazy fans who just dont go to shows or look for new bands online. The younger fans will hunt stuff down and look for new bands. I think trying to judge by MySpace is completly insane though. It is fun but just because some kids go to the page and listen to the songs doesnt mean they will go to the show and buy the CD's...they are the ones who are downloading and not supporting the shows.

There are lots of older lazy fans who just dont go to shows or look for new bands online. The younger fans will hunt stuff down and look for new bands. I think trying to judge by MySpace is completly insane though. It is fun but just because some kids go to the page and listen to the songs doesnt mean they will go to the show and buy the CD's...they are the ones who are downloading and not supporting the shows.

^ THIS.

Also, holy crap, am I agreeing with Diabolik!? :loco: o_O :OMG: :err:

hahahahahahaha...one day everyone will be agreeing with me...once Elvenking and Turisas take over the states!!!!!!

speaking of bands myspace pages...anyone here have one? Am I the only one?

I think you missed my point completely.

I don't think so. My last line wasn't intended to imitate your viewpoint. It was just an attempt to come up with a scenario in which your argument would make sense. I wasn't trying to say that you think Powerfest should be for old people.

Therefore, my point is that those figures alone can't fully justify who is more popular.

That depends on what your metric is for gaging popularity. There are many different gauges you can use, and a list of bands would change order depending on the metric used. Do they draw the most at a concert? Do they sell the most albums? Do they have the most people actually listening to their albums? None of those metrics is more "right" than any other, but they're all useful. In this case, the gauge is "Do they have more views on myspace?", and the numbers are completely reliable for gaging that. I'm simply hypothesizing that there is some correlation between myspace-popularity and concert-popularity.

Neil

You say this like it invalidates the myspace method. But isn't the point of this to discuss how many people a band might draw to a concert? And don't you think that the myspace kids who love Turisas are going to be more likely to get off their ass and go to a show than some old dude who used to like Candlemass 15 years ago?

Unless we're limiting Powerfest to old people only? "No myspace kids allowed!!!"

Neil
That's what I was getting at with that post. Thanks for getting the point ;) Heck, we know it's not scientific at all, but I do think it shows some form of internet popularity. A promoter might be wise to take a look at figures like this when putting a lineup together.

Britt

It can help but like Jason said earlier...The Alehorn fest should have had a line all the way around the block from the amount of talk about Slough Feg and Manilla Road, but there was like 40 people there for them. Sure it can help to see what people are listening to or trying out, but in reality the whole thing is a crap shoot. Unless you have someone like Turisas playing.

I'm simply hypothesizing that there is some correlation between myspace-popularity and concert-popularity.

Well, maybe I suppose.
I guess I come from the old school, where you hear about bands from friends, or from tape trading. Then you go see the band live, buy a demo and t shirt, etc.

Its amazing to me when I look up some new band on Metal Archives that labels like Metal Blade, Century Media, and Nuc Blast sign, and then find out that they formed in 2006! For those instances, I have to probably agree with you. It HAS to be all internet hype, as these bands certainly didn't gain attention from touring the world over.