questions about the fest?????

Says who? Not trying to be a dick here, but what are you basing this on?
The fact that these bands are in the Red Line Tap scene?

Serious question, BTW......

I guess I see these as more of a clean vocals festival.

Maybe the bands you mentioned are more in the "underground" and that's why they fit, and if they are as much influenced by classic metal, then that too.

I totally agree with Jason! You wnat Death metal or classic death metal go to the Central Illinois Metalfest!!

This debate over death metal is rather pointless. If it is required to make sure we have enough people to pay for the REAL bands, it will be done. For those who don't want it to happen, feel free to donate some money to avoid it. (this can be done via paypal as a gift or a deposit into Chase bank......we'll be waiting). In addition, both of the two heavily debating this suggested that it should end by midnight. So if we put a band like...uh...(insert trendy shitty band name here) on at midnight, I don't see the issue. Everything we do is picked apart, analyzed, and discussed to the point of being irritating. If we do something, rest assured, there is a good reason for it.

BTW, both of us hate death metal more than everyone here put together, so if they make it on the bill, it is because they are funding the whole thing.

Food addition: working on some things....remind us if there is no update by May

Hey, we all understand the reasons WHY you would put a death metal or thrash band on the bill.
I get it might help bring in a different crowd.

This is why I personally have been suggesting doom bands.
Doom seems to becoming more appreciated by the pickiest of trad metal fans lately.

Also, doom is a hell of a lot more closer related to trad / classic metal than thrash or death.

Furthermore, there is a doom / sludge / stoner scene (yes, albeit involves the hipster element) in Chicago who might otherwise not come to this show.

Want proof? The Gates of Slumber were added to the Midnight show at Reggies and I will bet dollars to donuts it is going to do wonders for the turnout. Just my guess of course.

There is a difference too between as you put it "shitty trendy" and something different from the core bands who would play this festival.

Anyhow, I know you guys will have to do what you have to do.......

I guess from a longevity of the fest perspective, you have to question whether you want one time customers or repeat customers.

but a doom band in the burbs is not a big seller. It is more of a city thing. Those hipsters you talk about are not the types to drive out to a show an hour out of the city. They want to be walking distance from thier home turf so after drinking PBR's all night they can stumble home and listen to thier vinyl records.

but a doom band in the burbs is not a big seller. It is more of a city thing. Those hipsters you talk about are not the types to drive out to a show an hour out of the city. They want to be walking distance from thier home turf so after drinking PBR's all night they can stumble home and listen to thier vinyl records.

Well, maybe.
But the bands playing this type of fest aren't your usual suburban rock or metal bands either. You are banking that this crowd will drive to the burbs for it then too just the same, right?

You should be able to park behind the venue and load your stuff in through the back where the bands do.

You will not though get to leave your car there.
MoJoes is next to an apartment complex.
When we were there, the residents there came out multiple times yelling at people to move cars.

There are two parking garages a block away from MoJoes so that's not an issue.
Granted you would certainly NOT want to be walking down the street around there with gear or merchandise in hand!

Is the parking garage free do you know?

And awesome, as long as I can load my stuff up through the back and then move my car that's fine with me or if someone wants to be kind enough to give me a ride to and from my car with my merch. I have some killer stuff that I want everyone to get a chance to get there hands on!

The backstage at MoJoes is VERY VERY VERY VERY small.
I can't stress that enough.
It is an unused kitchen.
Could get very interesting with 6 bands worth of gear back there!

I dont know what Mike and Chris have planned.
If the bands DON'T share backline then your going through the back may not be possible.

The parking garage technically is NOT free, though by the time you would be leaving the show, no one will be there to collect any payment, so you will not end up paying for parking. At least that's the way it was the one time I was there.

Question about tickets: I ordered a 2 day pass and have yet to receive it. I noticed for the one-day tickets they said just bring in your paypal invoice. Does that work for the 2 dayers as well?

From having played MoJoes multiple times, I can not stress enough to get there EARLY!

MoJoes is a great place and their staff are all very cool.
For some reason though, they still don't seem to have the box office / will call thing down in the most efficient manner.

I don't know who is manning the box office (IE - MoJoes staff or Ragnarokkr staff).

Though the person at the door may not have any idea about a 1 day VS 2 day VS VIP VS hard ticket VS paypal receipt.

Hopefully Mike will see this and clarify for folks.

Question,

When on friday will bands start playing? I'm looking into flights and I'm trying to gauge if I should get there thursday (and miss a day of pay) or friday at about 6pm. Also, how easy is it to get to the venue from the airport?

I think it is going to start at 6 on friday. Literally on the exact minute they are able to start. I know mike has even mentioned maybe 5:30 or 5 on saturday.

If you are flying in land at Midway or O'hare. Both airports have the CTA train running right there. Basically with Midway....you walk right out the front and the Orange Line is there. It is less than three dollars and it takes you right downtown in about 25 minutes. Each line has its own color name. Blue, Red, Green, and stuff. You can transfer from the Orange Line to the Red line onc you get into the city. Transfers usually are free depending on what station. You can transfer to Orange to Red in one of the downtown stations. Literally it is just 3 stations up...less than 10 minutes to Reggies on train. Reggies and a Holiday Inn are literally 3 blocks from the train.

Coming in from O' Hare airport is just as easy. The Blue Line is right by there. This takes about 30 to 40 minutes. Straight into the city and you can also transfer to the Red Line but you have to walk a block or so I think from one of the stations downtown. Then it is the Red Line again that takes you right to Reggies.

I will post a better walk thru later and post links to stuff as well. There are lots of hotels in the city. I will look around and find decent ones in the area. With the trains being easy to work with it may be cheaper to stay up north more in the city than to stay closer to downtown. I will find out. Literally, you could fly in and as long as you landed before 3 you would have no issue making it in on time.

Also, Reggies is open all day in the restuarant so you could get to the show early and eat at the bar / restaurant and go to the record store to kill time and everyone is getting thier early both days so it isnt like you would be stuck with nothing to do on the downtime. They have great food there so it is an all in one for any traveler. You wont have to wander off to far from the club for anything. There is even a White Castle around the block.
It would be great if you could make it down.