QUESTIONS FOR *Matt*

If you were asked by Jon Schaffer to sing at an Iced Earth concert, would you take the invitation?

Another question would be would you do a side project with Jon in the future?

WHAT RED BLOODED METAL HEAD WOULDN'T DREAM OF FRONTING IRON MAIDEN...HELL, BLAZE IS PROBABLY STILL IN SHOCK!

ULTIMATELY, THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE IRON MAIDEN. ONLY ONE METALLICA. ONE SABBATH. THERE WILL ONLY BE SO MANY BANDS THAT CAN ATTAIN THAT LEVEL OF COMMERCIAL SUCCESS. NOT EVERY BAND CAN LIVE OFF OF THE MUSIC THAT THEY ENJOY MAKING. PERIOD.

THERE ARE ALOT OF BANDS, AS WELL, THAT MADE ALOT OF MONEY FAST. AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THERE SHOCK IN DOING SO, THEY PISSED IT AWAY AS FAST AS THEY EARNED IT.

I JUST WANT TO SING, DUDE!

I understand and agree! Thanks!

I HAVE BEEN DOING EXERCISES TO MAINTAIN MY CHOPS...I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT MY VOICE IS QUITE A BIT DIFFERENT THAN THAT OF MR.KING, HOWEVER, IF YOU GUYS ARE WILLING, WE WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING "NEW" TO LISTEN TO. IT'S GONNA BE COOL...PROMISE!

I'm always willing to listen to you sing Matt. Your range is staggering. How many octaves can you hold?

But the thing that I admire most about your voice is the undying passion. Passion. That's what makes metal, to me.

Burnt Offerings is my all time favorite Iced Earth album (I have the reissue that came out after Dark Genesis). The eponymous track blows me away, mostly because of the overlapping vocals. I know that Jon isn't too fond of it, but what about you?

I think that your shining moment with Iced Earth was Before The Vision. That and Pierced Spirit were simply breathtaking. On the other hand, while I enjoyed the rest of the song, I was kind of disappointed with the scream on Travel In Stygian! I prefer John's as it's sudden and piercing. while yours faded in. Wolf had a much better set in the beginning.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions, and thank you for all the of metallic ecstasy you've dealt out to us! I look forward to the next countless years!

~Jordi

PS. Please come to Vancouver!!!

† Sandra Dark Saga †;6253369 said:
Hi, Matthew... :oops:

So great to have you back... First, I want you to know you're my favorite singer in the whole world!!! You’re the greatest and NO ONE will ever be greater than you...

OK, now... I wanted to ask you about "Im-Ho-Tep", what can you tell me about this song? I mean you're feelings and thoughts while singing and writing...
And also wanted to tell you... you look amazing on the Alive in Athens DVD, you're like a god, metal god!!!! :lol:
I hope to see you live someday... Colombian metal people would love to hear you sing... most of all: ME!!!

Best wishes, Matthew!!! :)

Matt_Barlow.before.jpg
THANKS FOR THE NICE WORDS....

IM-HO-TEP WAS ACTUALLY REALLY GREAT TO WORK ON. IT WAS ONE THAT JON HAD ORIGINALLY PLANNED ON WRITING THE LYRICS AND MELODY FOR, BUT FOR SOME REASON PASSED IT TO ME. OBVIOUSLY, THE STORY IS VERY BRAM STOKERISH IN PARTS, SO I TRIED TO GIVE IT A LITTLE DIFFERENT DIRECTION WITH THE STORY...HIGHLIGHTING AT FIRST, THE ISIS AND OSIRUS CONNECTION IN THE STORY...EVERYTHING ELSE JUST KINDA FELL IN PLACE.

HOPE TO SEE COLOMBIA SOME DAY...ONE OF MY PARTNERS IS FROM COLOMBIA!

WORK PARTNER...NOT LIFE PARTNER.

Hello Matt, great to have you back ! I have always hoped for you to start singing again, you are the person who got me into metal with " Dracula ". Anyway here goes ( although most of the questions have already been asked so sorry if someone beat me to it :p ) :

When do you think we will see some results ; a single or a pyramaze cover or something ( You have got to give us something after going so long with new stuf from you ^^ ! ) ?

Anyway if / when you start touring again with pyramze be sure that you don't skip Belgium !!!

Matt,

I've been a cop for about 7 years now and it was great to see you join the ranks. Lots of guys I work with aren't into metal at all. How do find your brother officers attitudes toward metal and your new band? Keep singing and stay safe man!
NOT ALL THE GUYS I WORK WITH ARE INTO METAL, BUT THEY ARE REALLY SUPPORTIVE. THEY KNOW WHO I AM... AND STILL LIKE ME ;)

MOST OF THE GUYS DO LIKE SOME FORM OF HEAVY MUSIC THOUGH...WHETHER IT'S OLD SCHOOL (MAIDEN) OR NEW SCHOOL (DROWNING POOL)...IT ALL MAKES FOR GOOD TRAINING ROOM OR RANGE JAMS.

BE GOOD AND BE SAFE BROTHER!

Hi Matt. It's cool to ask a question like this. :cool:

You have already answered to almost every question that i wanted to ask, but i still have one:
I saw once one interwiev, where the interwiever said something about some hidden message in Damien, if you listen it backwards. Can you tell me whats the "message"? Because i don't know how to listen songs backwards.

And I'd be happy if Pyramaze would come to Finland, because you are the best singer ever! :cool:

And if you like to hear Owens singing Prophecy and Birth of the wicked now, you can hear them here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pKEXE2ITaxk and
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qEsLXmYIxKQ&mode=related&search=
It's a shame that i don't have the single yet. :(
ON DAMIAN...THE STRANGE VOICES ON THE END OF THE TRACK ARE THOSE OF JON'S MONOLOUGE IN THE CENTER...PLAYED BACKWARD ON THE TRACK.
HOPE THAT HELPS.

Dear Matt,i am glad that i have the opportunity to contact you!!
From my earliest years i marvel you and for me you are a metal god with 3D VOICE:headbang: I will be thankfull if i see you in a tour in Greece!!
I have a couple of questions for you Matt:
First,will you ever come to Greece for a Live Show?
And the other question (of heaven) is...Which is your favourite song of paramyze and iced earth so far?
I hope to meet you again...In The Land of the wicked i walk alone..This is the path i choose!!
I THINK THAT SOULS IN PAIN IS A REALLY HOT TRACK AND HOPE TO DO IT LIVE IN GREECE.

MY WIFE AND I REALLY WANT TO VISIT SOON...MAYBE AN ANNIVERSARY!

THANKS!

Hi Matt, my name's Matt, too. Cool, huh?
Anyway, here's a very serious question. What was it like to cut all that freakin' hair off? I bet it weighed a few pounds. You always hear about amputees still feeling their limbs years after they're gone. Not to compare the horror of losing a limb to a haircut. Well, maybe like a big toe or something. But it must've been weird.
Matt

Hey Matt welcome back!!

This is my first time posting here on the Pyramaze forum, but have been a fan for a little while now....
Anyway, basically have just two questions for you:

1. I saw that you were in a band with your fellow police officers, and was wondering what type of music you played and did you do it for fun, or was it more for charitable events and such?

2. I have always wondered how vocalists put such power and emotion into a song. When you sing, do you compare the lyrics with something that may have happened in your life? Or is it because it's just a damn good song?

Thanks Matt!! Looking forward to hearing you again soon....I'm sure it will be kick ass!!

~Annie
FIRST STATE FORCE IS FOR SCHOOL KIDS...THE BAND EMPHASIZES THE IMPORTANCE OF TOLERANCE. IT ALSO REENFORCES TO THEM THAT DRUGS AND VIOLENCE ARE NOT THE CORNERSTONES OF A FUNCTIONAL SOCIETY.
I'M NOT WITH THE BAND ANYMORE, BUT I DO APPRECIATE WHAT IT DOES FOR THE SCHOOLS.

I THINK THAT AS FAR AS "FEELING" IN A SONG, YOU DO PUT A LITTLE BIT OF YOUR LIFE INTO IT BECAUSE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE NEED TO RELATE TO A SONG ON A PERSONAL AND EMOTIONAL LEVEL.

First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first read that you had returned to metal, the first reaction, was PRAISE THE LORD!!!
I don't really have a question, so I'm just making one up... so, what's your favorite kind of donut?
Forever - thank you.

/Uutela :worship:

Hey Matt,

Hate we might not ever hear the Cauldron demo's but i understand.

Question: Do you ever read press about you? For instance i assume you are famaliar with the Blabbermouth site and sites like it? Whenever any story on IE or even Pyramaze now are mentioned it always turns into a Matt vs. Tim type thing. When you left IE...Jon posted a few posts about you leaving and while he was sad you left, he understood why but he made mention that people should not be so caught up in one person of a band or that they try and "live" through that person.

Now that you are back and those type stories are still on Blabbermouth that turn into Matt vs. Tim...the comments on your myspace page on how everyone was so happy you are back and how you changed their life etc... i will assume that makes you happy inside and all but i guess here are the questions...finally :)

When you left, did you read what people said and did you feel you might have let them down at all?

Now you are back and reading what people are saying do you feel any extra pressure or higher expectations to deliver what everyone wants to hear again?

Grinder
I DO WISH THAT IT WASN'T A MATT V. TIM THING, BUT I GUESS THAT STUFF WILL HAPPEN. I CERTAINLY DIDN'T INTEND TO "HURT" THE FEELING OF PEOPLE, BUT ULTIMATELY PEOPLE HEAL...AND THE RECORDS STILL EXIST!

I DO HOPE THAT PEOPLE DIG WHAT WE DO IN PYRAMAZE BECAUSE WE ARE GOING TO STRIVE FOR THE BEST.

If you were asked by Jon Schaffer to sing at an Iced Earth concert, would you take the invitation?

Another question would be would you do a side project with Jon in the future?
I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED TO DO A SHOW, BUT THEN, I'M NOT THE SINGER.

I THINK THAT JON AND I HAVE ENOUGH ON OUR PLATES...AND IT HAS ALSO, NEVER BEEN APPROACHED.

Hello Matt, great to have you back ! I have always hoped for you to start singing again, you are the person who got me into metal with " Dracula ". Anyway here goes ( although most of the questions have already been asked so sorry if someone beat me to it :p ) :

When do you think we will see some results ; a single or a pyramaze cover or something ( You have got to give us something after going so long with new stuf from you ^^ ! ) ?

Anyway if / when you start touring again with pyramze be sure that you don't skip Belgium !!!
EXPECT SOME STUFF IN THE BEGINNING OF '08...WE'LL SEE ABOUT ANY TEASER STUFF BEFORE THAT...THAT'S MORE UP MICHAEL'S ALLEY AT THIS POINT.

Another question. Have you ever pulled over an Iced Earth fan who recognized you? And if so, did you put 'em in the slammer? That would be sweet, if I was a criminal, which I'm not.

Hi Matt, my name's Matt, too. Cool, huh?
Anyway, here's a very serious question. What was it like to cut all that freakin' hair off? I bet it weighed a few pounds. You always hear about amputees still feeling their limbs years after they're gone. Not to compare the horror of losing a limb to a haircut. Well, maybe like a big toe or something. But it must've been weird.
Matt
ADMITTEDLY, IT WAS A LITTLE STRANGE...BUT THE FINAL OUTCOME WAS GOOD. I'M SURE THAT SOME WOULD DISAGREE.

I WAS HAPPY TO HAVE DONATED MY HAIR TO REILLY CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL IN INDIANA. THEY TREAT KIDS WITH CANCER, AND MY HAIR WENT TO MAKE A WIG FOR A CHILD UNDERGOING RADIATION THEROPY.

FOR ANY HAIR FARMERS OUT THERE THAT ARE LOOKING TO BRING IN THE CROP, PLEASE CONSIDER THIS OPTION. THANKS