Rate Last Videogame you played , write a one sentence review.

I love horror games, it just felt to me like I was constantly in a dream and there were no enemies?! Probably changes later though

Well, you're right, the game doesn't chug out enemies like most games do. They're placed strategically to be triggered in certain events (and damn was it effective in my opinion), and it works on a "less-is-more" school of development thought. The developers thought it was much more effective when you don't know WHEN you're bound to expect an enemy to show up than when you know you're going to encounter one round every corner. It would become dull and monotonous then; or else it would lose its "defenseless-survival" feel. I found this strategy of game development in this case to be exemplary.

You were talking to me about that game Brutalism, and I still really want to try it out, but me and my computer aren't getting along right now, mainly due to the fact that gaming seems so much more fun when you're slumped on the sofa with some tomatoes and a huge mug of green tea.

Haha, I totally understand man. That is my preferred mode of gaming too, but sometimes a nice change of environment, posture and mind-frame goes a long way. I reckon you'd love it if you had to look past its visuals, and from what I gather you're beyond rating a game based simply on its visual appeal :)

Just installed a classic RTS: Knights and Merchants on Windows XP. Here's a reminder of it:

I remember when it first came out I was so fucking blown away. Today it still kicks ass. Music owns in with its medieval melodies and the graphics for the time were so original. How often did you see buildings being assembled in such detail?! Loving it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows? Publishers don't give a fuck about PC anymore, so if it's anything like Dead Space 1, the PC version will be an absolute mess.

In some respects this is true, but when a publisher gives a developer enough time to do a proper pc version it is absolutely heavenly. I love first person shooters and there's no way I'll go back to console gaming. It's too restrictive and too expensive. I love going back and playing games I haven't played in 5 years with modern hardware etc... it's awesome.

I've been on and off playing Dead Space on PC for a few months and the only issue was the controls at first, but I grew to like the slow aiming, makes it hard as shit. I'm playing it on hard anyway and it's fucking rad. Will def buy the second one when it's $5 via steam.

STEAM SALES ARE AMAZING.

Didn't dead space PC also have like some retarded 5 install limit DRM? I can't stand this shit where you buy something and you blink and you no longer own it

All non-steam games seem to have this now days.. pisses me off.
I payed for the fuckin' game, i don't want to talk to some non-English speaking motha' fokka' in India about resetting my install count.. i just want to play the damn game. >;/

Makes me want to pirate it instead. :lol:

I payed for the fuckin' game, i don't want to talk to some non-English speaking motha' fokka' in India about resetting my install count.. i just want to play the damn game. >;/

Personally, I feel that it's completely legit to crack a game you bought.

DRM is so lame. The only DRMs that don't make me want to kill people is steam's ( you can download as much as you want to as many computers as you want , only thing being you can only play on one computer at a time ) and the one on Splinter Cell Conviction , which is where you don't even need the disk , and there is no install limit , only thing being that you need to be connected to internet to play. I can see how this would piss me off if my internet wasn't working on a day I wanted to play though. While we're on that note, I cannot believe that Sony hasn't updated their policy for downloading games. Currently you still only get 5 systems to download to , which sounds like a lot , but since I've had 3 PS3s get the Yellow Light Of Death and upgraded to the slim I am now on my last one I think. You have to be connected to the internet via *that* PS3 to deactivate it. Well what happens when it breaks down and I can't deactivate it? You'd have to be a fucking psychic and deactivate it in advance for this system to work at all. Apple lets you deactivate all you activations once a year , why the hell doesn't Sony?

It's incredible how fucking stupid businessmen can be. It's like they had their brains replaced with marshmallows and they're wondering why suddenly it's so much goddamn fun to sit there squeegee-ing their third eye.

haha absolutely , it's to the point where I'd almost be willing to get a computer chip in my arm that recognizes me on all my devices, so I don't have to deal with this DRM shit anymore. Almost

The only people that get screwed by DRM is the legit, paying customers, which is so deliciously ironic.

Well the problem with pc games is they don't sell that much due to most of pc gamers cracking games.
Retailers are pissed off by the fact a lot of pc games lie on the shelves.
So pc distribution is dying.
The day it will be dead I'll stop buying a pc game, I hate to buy for a fucking "download" file, I always enjoyed the booklet and other artwork included in the box.
I remember 10 to 15 years ago, computer games(amiga, pc) had great manuals/boxes/artwork included, now it's mostly a grey manual and nothing more.
same goes for xbox of course, but the pc world, sadly enough is dying.
Even though pc games are just better graphic wise.

Even though pc games are just better graphic wise.

When they bother to give you access to advanced video tweaking options, so many games are developed for console hardware and just shoved on the PC with very little thought given to the more powerful hardware most PC gamers have.

Having said that, it's not hard to go through configuration scripts and make changes, though it would be nice if they included more than just low, medium, high and (sometimes) ultra high settings for "graphics detail" in games. It's insulting to think that we don't know our hardware well enough to know, in specific detail, what to boost and what to cut to get a balance between detailed visuals and good framerate. Unless you're a rich kid who builds a new PC every year with 2 of the latest video cards, in which case you can just throw money at the problem.

The key word here is "optimisation", it's sorely missing from PC gaming these days. Well, anything that's not PC exclusive anyway.

Also wanted to say on the PS3 matter , they need to get cloud storage for game saves like Steam has. Then they wouldn't have to worry about hacked game saves giving people free trophies etc. The save would be on Sony's server , the same way Steam does it , and no one would have access to their save to hack it , only to access it for resuming their game. This would help out the hacked trophies problem as well as the INFURIATING problem of when your PS3 dies , and you also have to suffer the loss of all your game saves. That happened to me right before
100%-ing Assassin's Creed 2

happilydyingsince1985.png

PC gaming is far from dead, but it's focus is moving far away from action games.

PC gaming is far from dead, but it's focus is moving far away from action games.

Well at least for retailers is almost dead. I see it everyday at the shops around.
Regarding action games: to me seems the opposite, on pc they're focusing on action games as consoles.
years ago was really different, a tons of rts/rpg games. Now a lot of action garbage.
I like action stuff, but on consoles it seems they release better action titles.
I really hope a comeback of great games with great stories as happend before.

I need a great Monkey Island

PC has been all about first person shooters, while all kinds of third person games have been aimed more at consoles.
But now days i feel that games are being optimized more towards casual console-gamers then serious pc-gamers.

Having beat it yesterday, I'm going to revisit my Banjo-Tooie review.

5/10.

Everything that made the first game so endearing was just abandoned.

Most importantly, level design. What made the worlds from the first game so memorable and fun was the idea of a central importance and then a bunch of stuff around that, Rusty Bucket Bay has the huge ship, Clanker's Cavern has Clanker the whale, Mad Monster Mansion has just that, a sweet ass mansion full of ghosts. Yes the aim with tooie was to make a bigger game so that sort of planning doesn't really speak to large scale but did it really have to be so massive? So much of the game was tedious back-and-forth between worlds and trying to remember which nondescript cave had the fucking jiggy in it.

It just all felt so lazy and smeared on, every world is basically another hub with themed wallpaper. Mine world, dinosaur world, carnival world, industrial world, you can imagine how I felt when I got to the ubiquitous trivia game at the end and was shit out of luck trying to answer the "What level is this picture from?" questions because every level is woefully forgettable. I mean the worlds in the first game had more places to explore than just the central thematic object and they never had any problem being vibrant, entertaining and easily big enough to feel immersed in the plight of a Bear and Bird.

I could probably rant about things here and there (the "new" moves all suck, puzzle elements feel like pointless busywork and so on) but I'll finish up on something that really brought the gravitas of the suck here to a head.

Who the fuck came up with the soundtrack? The first game's soundtrack is an almost tangible element of every level, a great, catchy theme to each song and a seamless change in the instruments playing it as you go underwater or visit different areas of the map (the changes in the soundtrack in Grunty's castle as you enter the transition area to a new world is very cool idea that worked out perfectly).

So yeah, so much more to do than the first game, but you couldn't give a fuck about doing any of it because everything is just dull.

I loved Banjo Tooie, but yeah, it is almost... Too expansive isn't it?

Plus the hub world sucked.

I loved Banjo Tooie, but yeah, it is almost... Too expansive isn't it?

Plus the hub world sucked.

I really wasn't all that enamoured with it. Some of the boss fights were pretty fun, and rocking around as a van running dicks over was pretty awesome but it just felt like they slapped together a game from the ideas that didn't make it into the first one. I mean they reused the bee transformation for god's sake, what does that tell you about the creative process at work here?

There wasn't anything in the way of a real challenge either, at it's hardest you're looking for some nook that they've stuffed a jinjo in or trying to find all the whatevers in those terrible first person sections. Those sections might have been more enjoyable if the draw distance didn't suck and you didn't have to be right on top of one of the arbitrary items for it appear on screen.

And come on, Grunty stops her tank of death to ask you trivia questions, then goes easy on you if you get it right? What the fuck is that?

I hate to say it but I think Nuts and Bolts incorporates more of what made the original game awesome than Tooie, and it's not even the same style of game. Though at least Tooie didn't inspire a web comic so sad it nearly makes me cry every time I see it. :(

081115.jpg